Bodyfat scales

Options
I bought some tanita scales to measure my bodyfat and I have to actually put in 5cm less than my actual height to give me a reading which at 172cm puts me at 5.2%. At my actual height of 177cm the scales come up as "ErrL" which looking at the key means low bodyfat and it can't give me a reading. Why is this the case? Is it because my bodyfat is too low to give it an actual reading at my height?

Replies

• rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    if your at 5.2 % BF you would have to eat every hour practically. I believe it is said the hand held tool is better for getting at least close to actual BF electronically. The step on scales are not so great for BF calculation.
  • mihai_vuurwerk
    mihai_vuurwerk Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes. BIA fails to be accurate at low bf %, according to various sources it's losing accuracy below 12-15%. BIA, however is not that accurate to begin with: from tanita's website:

"Independent research at several major universities (including Columbia University in New York City) has confirmed that in clinical settings , the Tanita Body Fat Monitor is accurate within +/- 5 percentage of the institutional standard of body composition analysis--Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry (DEXA)."
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Its because body fat scales are about as reliable as me guessing your body fat based on a photo.
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    Its because body fat scales are about as reliable as me guessing your body fat based on a photo.

Well my sister and mum went on them after having their body fat tested on a real hospital scanner and it was the same give or take 0.1
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Well my sister and mum went on them after having their body fat tested on a real hospital scanner and it was the same give or take 0.1

What is a "real hospital scanner"?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

How many times have they gone on them...BF readings on bio impedence vary with the wind ....hydration, dirt on soles of feet etc

What "hospital scanner"? Was it 4 compartment? Was it MRI, DEXA, BodPod or Bio-impedence

I think you have to just accept that bio impedence is the worst of the bunch with a massive error margin
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    It was an MRI
  • Hornsby
    Options
    They got lucky then.

Not sure what you want to hear.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    It was an MRI

Interesting

Are they in a research study? What on?
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

How many times have they gone on them...BF readings on bio impedence vary with the wind ....hydration, dirt on soles of feet etc

What "hospital scanner"? Was it 4 compartment? Was it MRI, DEXA, BodPod or Bio-impedence

I think you have to just accept that bio impedence is the worst of the bunch with a massive error margin

The hospital scanner was an MRI. Mine is bio impedence, I cleaned my feet beforehand and used it inside so tried limiting the things that could have caused an error
  • Sued0nim
    Options

The hospital scanner was an MRI. Mine is bio impedence, I cleaned my feet beforehand and used it inside so tried limiting the things that could have caused an error

It's up to you if we can't convince you but bio impedence has a margin of error up to 13%

It is clearly not an appropriate route for you

I'd take the scales back personally
  • Hornsby
    Options
    It was an MRI

Interesting

Are they in a research study? What on?

Was wondering the same but didn't want to go that route.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    They were sent by work, as all employees were sent to see if sitting in a chair all day (they have desk jobs) affect their bodyfat, bone densities etc.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options

It's up to you if we can't convince you but bio impedence has a margin of error up to 13%

Why is it not appropriate?
  • Hornsby
    Options

Why is it not appropriate?

Because your OP? If you have to lie to it to get it to spit out an inaccurate number, what's the point?

Or are you wanting to hear that "Yes, you are 5%"?
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    bod pod is about the most reliable from what I read previously, but who has access to that technology on the regular?

I figure as long as you feel okay and aren't hungry every hour or two you're good , but than again im not sure of the goal of the thread. Ig you're constantly hungry time to up your fat some. I was 8-9% a few years back and I was constantly eating or else I felt like I was weak and sleepy all the time. That level wasn't conducive for me.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    They were sent by work, as all employees were sent to see if sitting in a chair all day (they have desk jobs) affect their bodyfat, bone densities etc.

Damn, that company must have lots of extra dough. MRIs aren't cheap.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    rebel_26 wrote: »
    bod pod is about the most reliable from what I read previously, but who has access to that technology on the regular?

I figure as long as you feel okay and aren't hungry every hour or two you're good , but than again im not sure of the goal of the thread. Ig you're constantly hungry time to up your fat some. I was 8-9% a few years back and I was constantly eating or else I felt like I was weak and sleepy all the time. That level wasn't conducive for me.

Yes I'm constantly hungry, I have a high metabolism anyway but have a high TDEE and exercise regularly and heavily
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    LOL I threw my bodyfat scale out, it was ridiculously inaccurate. It would tell me I was something like 50% bodyfat when I was already lean and had a 6 pack etc. Mirror and regular scale is good enough IMO.