Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Pack lunch

Hi,

Im struggling to find something filling for my pack lunch for work, dont really want to take sandwiches so any ideas would really be appreciated thanks

Replies

• knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Leftovers is usually the best bet for me. I always cook more than I need to and portion a lunch or two into tupperware when I serve dinner. I know a lot of people do a weekly version of this and I do too sometimes (big pots of beans, rice, quinoa, cooked veggies, etc.), but it's just a part of my general cooking routine now.
  • CarlHKF
    CarlHKF Posts: 42
    Sounds good, rice isw always a winner i think
  • I make tuna fish with avacado and put it in individual containers... then pack salad to go with it. Fruit and yogurt usually find their way in the bag too. Sometimes I pack left overs instead.
  • CarlHKF
    Tuna salad do you find that filling? id maybe wantto put pasta with it
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Yogurt & Kashi Cereal (pack separate, mix at work)
    Green Smoothies
    Snap Sugar Peas straight from the Bag with a Sandwich or Yogurt
    Bush's Baked Beans in Individual Containers
    Any Fruit you like

:drinker: Milk, Protein Shakes, V-8,

If you have access to a Freezer and microwave there are dozens of Low Sodium Lunches or Veggie Choices.
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    I second the microwave.. my work lunches are Amy's tamales or gluten free mac & cheese -- 400 cals apiece, all organic, super delicious!
  • CarlHKF
    all sound good thank you
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    My new fav go-to lunch is baked chicken, with chunked up avocado and tomato. I might have some cottage cheese with it too. I usually bake 5lbs or so of chicken with mrs dash/onion/garlic powder on Sunday and use it for lunches most of the week.

I always have fruit, yogurt, carrot sticks, etc in the fridge at work too. Oh and I always keep pistachios, almonds and/or walnuts in my desk for a quick snack if needed. And yes, I have a digital food scale at work and weigh everything if I didn't have time to weigh it at home.
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    My dad has taken Sandwiches and Apples to work for like the past 30 years. Whats wrong with sandwiches?

lol, Joke aside, If you have a decent cooler you can take almost anything pre-cooked, or Microwaveable (provided your work has a microwave)
    Canned soup, Fresh fruit, Salads, Apple sauce, cold Pizza (yum)... Like I say if you cook and preprepare it the night before anything could work in a pack lunch.

If your bread or any other food gets soggy, while in the cooler. Try packing a knife Or a spoon and packaging parts of your meal separately. EX: Pack tuna salad in a tub, and bread in a baggie, put it together at work fresh tuna sandwich... oh right you don't want sandwiches... XD lol
  • CarlHKF
    was thinking some sort of either tuna or chicken with pasta, maybe something with it, cottage cheese, natuaral yoghurt etc
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    If you have a refrigerator available, a favorite lunch of mine lately has been mixing a packet of tuna creations, with lettuce and a quarter cup of lower fat shredded mozzarella cheese. I take a serving of whole grain crackers and a baggie of fruit to round out the meal and find it both filling and delicious. I use a half bag of prepackaged romaine lettuce so it make a large salad
  • CarlHKF
    My dad has taken Sandwiches and Apples to work for like the past 30 years. Whats wrong with sandwiches?

lol, Joke aside, If you have a decent cooler you can take almost anything pre-cooked, or Microwaveable (provided your work has a microwave)
    Canned soup, Fresh fruit, Salads, Apple sauce, cold Pizza (yum)... Like I say if you cook and preprepare it the night before anything could work in a pack lunch.

If your bread or any other food gets soggy, while in the cooler. Try packing a knife Or a spoon and packaging parts of your meal separately. EX: Pack tuna salad in a tub, and bread in a baggie, put it together at work fresh tuna sandwich... oh right you don't want sandwiches... XD lol

I only wanted to eat about 2 slices of bread a day so if i was having toast then no sandwiches for lunch, sandwiches is whats got me into this mess haha
  • I almost always do leftovers of some type, my current favorite is black beans cooked with garlic & onions in chicken broth, pico de gallo, spring mix greens, guacamole, maybe a little cheese all wrapped up in a tortilla or over brown rice. Only takes a minute or so to warm up the beans and rice. Or a salad (I usually do romaine & baby spinach) with tuna, cottage cheese, and/or sliced hard boiled egg. Adding some protein to the mix usually helps make a salad a bit more filling :)
  • KathryneJY
    KathryneJY Posts: 83 Member
    I almost always take the same thing for lunch every day. Salad with a home made vinaigrette. I add a peice of cheese, artichoke hearts (water packed), and 100-200g some sort of protien like cooked shrimp, roasted chicken or last nights leftover steak sliced up. I accompany it with cut veggies and chery tomatoes. If I am going to have an active day, I'll add a banana or some other peice of fruit. The salad itself can be spinach or baby greens or leaf lettuce. It's a big volume of food but usually pretty low in calories.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    -yogurt (the fat in yogurt is healthy, and a higher fat content will keep you full for longer without too many added cals)
    -string cheese
    -sliced cheese and whole wheat crackers
    -precooked whole wheat pasta
    -peanut butter and apples/bananas (this was a college staple for me-filling and delicious!)
    -wraps with tortillas and lunchmeat
    -hummus, pita bread, and bell pepper slices