If I do HIIT, can I still gain weight?

Options
Sup guys, I'm trying to put on some mass but I'm trying out HIIT. Haven't done thay before but so far its intense. Its been about two weeks now and everytime its a challenge. My question is, will it be hard for me to put on mass with HIIT?

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    >will it be hard for me to put on mass with HIIT?

No, just keep eating at surplus.
  • TonyMo25
    TonyMo25 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I guess that's what it all comes down to
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    just means you have to eat more, the more cardio you do.
  • TonyMo25
    Options

The thing is, my job is a physically demanding one too so i feel like I'm a have to take an insane amountof calories
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    TonyMo25 wrote: »

The thing is, my job is a physically demanding one too so i feel like I'm a have to take an insane amountof calories

how often are you doing HIIT in your routine?
  • TonyMo25
    Options

how often are you doing HIIT in your routine?

3x a week
  • TonyMo25
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »

Clearly the only way forward is to quit your job

If only bills paid themselves lol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The bigger question is, how many calories can you consistently eat? I plan on doing HIIT during my 1st bulk. But eating 3300-3500 calories is a breeze for me. If you have to eat 4K or 5K, it might be worthwhile to not do HIIT.
  • TonyMo25
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    The bigger question is, how many calories can you consistently eat? I plan on doing HIIT during my 1st bulk. But eating 3300-3500 calories is a breeze for me. If you have to eat 4K or 5K, it might be worthwhile to not do HIIT.

Yeah i have to hit close to 4k calories a day. Cuz of my job and HIIT, so HIIT alone isn't optimal?
  • TonyMo25
    Options

Yeah i have to hit close to 4k calories a day. Cuz of my job and HIIT, so HIIT alone isn't optimal?

Btw, can i get away with eating something like a slice of pizza or similar more often than not? Cuz I did eat nasty stuff before and still didn't gain weight. In fact, I took 3 weeks off the gym and ate the same and lost 10 lbs
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Btw, can i get away with eating something like a slice of pizza or similar more often than not? Cuz I did eat nasty stuff before and still didn't gain weight. In fact, I took 3 weeks off the gym and ate the same and lost 10 lbs

why would you eat pizza if its nasty?

eat pizza that's delicious, surely?!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to gain weight why are you expending energy doing HIIT? For cardiovascular health/conditioning?

To gain muscle, strength train hard (and progressively harder ) and eat at a calorific surplus. Adding in cardio (whether HIIT or any other type of protocol) means you need to eat more.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

HIIT is just going to burn a lot of calories (especially if you are doing it for extended periods of time). If you want, cut it out during a bulk and add it back when you are looking to maintain. Below is a thread that can help you get calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Optimal for what?

Why are you doing HIIT?

I'm not saying it's good or bad, but I don't yet know what your goals are or why you are doing HIIT.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    ... so HIIT alone isn't optimal?

Are you trying to win races?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I am getting the impression that the OP wants to add muscle mass through HIIT? If that is the case, no, it's not optimal.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I don't subscribe to cardio based activities when trying to add muscle, but to each their own. I assume if calories are high enough you SHOULD be able to add some muscle, but if adding muscle is the intent limit cardio based activities and push heavier weights as suggested and of course keep calories in their perspective for the activities put forth.
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yes you can, UNLESS you can't eat enough, look at professional sport athletes. These men and woman do tons of cardio and don't lose weight, unless they want to.
  • pompeyjosh1990
    pompeyjosh1990 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    why are you doing HIT training if your trying to bulk?.....stop doing HIT training- EAT a calorific surplus....and do light cardio to keep you fit.