budget healthy food for fat loss

Options
Turb2o
Turb2o Posts: 82 Member
edited August 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Can anyone come up cheap ideas to fill my kitchen with some budget busting foods so i can lose fat and keep muscle

Replies

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Nine? Why nine, specifically?

Tuna
    Eggs
    Lettuce
    Onions
    Cottage cheese
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Rice
    Beans
  • kate141987
    kate141987 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on keeping muscle but not too bad with the weight loss on a budget, I try to be quite savvy with my shopping. Here goes

Porridge
    Soup
    Beans
    Eggs
    Whole grain pasta
    Whole grain rice
    Tuna
    Multigrain cereal
    Greek yoghurt

:)
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Beans, lots of different types of beans.
  • Turb2o
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Nine? Why nine, specifically?

Tuna
    Eggs
    Lettuce
    Onions
    Cottage cheese
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Rice
    Beans
    Haha nine that's a typo sorry thanks for the suggestions
  • Turb2o
    Options
    Beans, lots of different types of beans.
    All exept green ha
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    bulk buy fruit/veg/meat etc that's on offer or seasonal.

rice, pasta, eggs
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There are no foods you must eat or can't eat in order to lose fat, and a good healthy diet to retain muscle can be achieved in an indefinite number of ways. Budget busting would be the opposite of budget healthy - do you mean "boosting"? And just nine? As I said, any food can be part of a healthy diet. But I love challenges, so here goes:

Apples
    Eggs
    Canned tuna
    Rice
    Beans (canned or dried)
    Peanut butter
    Onions
    Canned tomatoes
    Frozen peas
  • swheeler0602
    swheeler0602 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Some staples in my house:

Tuna
    Eggs (I have one dozen hard boiled and one dozen not)
    Peanut Butter (use in smoothies or just on stuff)
    Frozen multi grain waffles (don't lather in butter and syrup though; I use a little peanut butter)
    Frozen Fruit (frozen fruit is just as nutrious as fresh because it's flash frozen at it's peak and its cheaper/also easier to put in smoothies)
    Brown Rice
    Triscuits (family size)
    Laughing Cow Cheese (1.5 g fat and also only 35 calories per wedge-great snack with triscuits)
    Apples
    Any in season fruit in your area
    Yogurt (always on sale to buy in "bulk")
    Craisins (everyone likes a little sweetness plus you can use it with leftover chicken for chicken salad)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Beans! Eggs! Onions!

Frozen vegetables

Canned tomatoes usually go on sale cheap here.

Lentil soup is cheap and healthy.

Chicken sometimes goes on BOGO.

Bagged salads sometimes too.

Jalapenos, and fresh herbs, are surprisingly affordable and can make you feel much better about plain foods.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    eggs
    beans
    rice
    potatoes
    grains like quinoa or bulgar
    frozen veggies
    frozen fruit
    peanut butter or PB2
    Greek yogurt

I dont eat meat but:
    Frozen fish fillets like tilapia, salmon, etc.
    Canned tuna
    Frozen chicken breast

etc. :)

My biggest advice for you is to sit down and make a meal plan for the week and then when you go to the store ONLY buy the stuff you plan to eat that week. This helps you not have loads and loads of crap in your pantry and fridge where you're less likely to eat at home because you: don't know what you have, nothing looks appetizing, you have SOME of the ingredients for a recipe but you're missing key components.

• swheeler0602
    swheeler0602 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    Beans! Eggs! Onions!

Frozen vegetables

Canned tomatoes usually go on sale cheap here.

Lentil soup is cheap and healthy.

Chicken sometimes goes on BOGO.

Bagged salads sometimes too.

Jalapenos, and fresh herbs, are surprisingly affordable and can make you feel much better about plain foods.

Jalapenos and fresh herbs are great! Dried herbs as well. Remember, those don't have calories so your food doesn't have to be boring!

Also, watch out on the canned tomatoes. They are a great pick but most companies add salt and that makes them higher in sodium. Look for ones with "No salt added" on the label.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it's all about taste.
    i buy whatever protiens are on sale. seasonal fruits. fish. lentils, beans, frozen veggies and fruit, noodles. and lots of greek yogurt and cottage cheese

the calorie deficit helps you lose weight. making sure you have fats and fiber help you feel full. protien as well.
    i started using a runner's world cookbook and use the skinnytaste website.
  • koreangurl
    koreangurl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Banana's are cheap and a great source of potassium and minerals, I highly suggest you to incorporate it into your diet. If your undecisive, they check out this article, www.reviewyu.com/how-many-calories-in-a-banana.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    koreangurl wrote: »
    Bananas are cheap and a great source of potassium and minerals, I highly suggest you to incorporate it into your diet. If your undecisive, they check out this article, www.reviewyu.com/how-many-calories-in-a-banana.

This is a myth that just won't die. Bananas are first and foremost a source of sugar and a tasty snack (and a great smoothie ingredient). Most foods except shellfish and eggs are good sources of potassium. It's added salt that is the problem, if too much sodium is a problem (and we are starting to doubt that). More home cooking will take care of that, and more home cooking is good anyway. The whole idea of healthy eating is undermined by focusing on single foods - variety is what brings good nutrition. And it's boring and unnecessary. So many foods taste so good. Eat all the foods (but not all at once).

A food has to be weighed before we can decide how many calories it has.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Losing fat comes form a caloric deficit and keeping muscle requires getting enough protein along with some resistance / strength training (especially as we age, males over 40 tend to lose about 1% lean muscle mass per year unless they exercise)

The key to budget busting is cooking from scratch with basic ingredients and shopping the sales. Some of my go to items include beans, chicken, tuna, eggs, cottage cheese, seasonal fruits & vegetables (and I grab frozen ones when they're on sale as fresh vegetables tend to get more expensive here in winter as everything has to be imported). Turkey is also high in protein low in fat etc and you can often find utility grade whole turkeys really cheap, chop it up & freeze what you're not going to use right away.

Bags of barley & lentils are cheap and can be used for making homemade soups. Dried chickpeas can be used for making homemade hummus, 3 bean salad etc etc etc.

Channel your inner cheapskate & get creative! B)