Intermittent Fasting:Pros? Cons?

Options
13»

Replies

• SarahStarr86
    SarahStarr86 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm really considering doing this 16:8 eating plan. However, I really like my morning coffee with a tablespoon of creamer...is this ok or should the coffee be black?

The main principle of the fasting is to keep your insulin levels low (as I understand it). So *technically* most will suggest to have it black. But, that being said, I personally use 40 cals of half and half and artificial sweetener in my coffee. Sometimes 50 cals is a number that is floated to stay under (no idea from what source). But I also think being sugar free is also important (for the insulin reasons). If you're going for the FULL benefits of IF. If you're just using it to help control your deficit, than yeah that's totally fine.

Thank you! After reading this thread last night I looked up some videos online and I'm starting today! I definitely think about food a lot and I seem almost instantly hungry after I eat breakfast...plus I'm a night binge eater. I read a lot from people who said that IF helped with their binge eating and helped control their appetite so I'm super amped. I think I may take this week off of working out to get used to it. Some people say they workout fasted...is that the going trend, to workout before your break your fast? 'm worried that I won't have the energy to give a good workout if I haven't eaten. What do you all do concerning exercise while doing IF? Also, can I take C4 pre workout while fasted or does that break the fast?

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm really considering doing this 16:8 eating plan. However, I really like my morning coffee with a tablespoon of creamer...is this ok or should the coffee be black?

The main principle of the fasting is to keep your insulin levels low (as I understand it). So *technically* most will suggest to have it black. But, that being said, I personally use 40 cals of half and half and artificial sweetener in my coffee. Sometimes 50 cals is a number that is floated to stay under (no idea from what source). But I also think being sugar free is also important (for the insulin reasons). If you're going for the FULL benefits of IF. If you're just using it to help control your deficit, than yeah that's totally fine.

Thank you! After reading this thread last night I looked up some videos online and I'm starting today! I definitely think about food a lot and I seem almost instantly hungry after I eat breakfast...plus I'm a night binge eater. I read a lot from people who said that IF helped with their binge eating and helped control their appetite so I'm super amped. I think I may take this week off of working out to get used to it. Some people say they workout fasted...is that the going trend, to workout before your break your fast? 'm worried that I won't have the energy to give a good workout if I haven't eaten. What do you all do concerning exercise while doing IF? Also, can I take C4 pre workout while fasted or does that break the fast?

Exercise performance when fasted seems to be highly personal. I see no loss in strength training or short (sub 5 mile) run performance when fasted but others say they struggle. My advice is try it and see how you get on.

edited to add - just looked up C4 pre-work out and at 5 cals per scoop I don't think anyone is going to class that as breaking the fast but bear in mind that when fasted some foods (some report caffeine, which C4 contains) can upset the stomach. Again, the only way to find out is to give it a try.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Bruja924 wrote: »
    I dont I think it is for me. My last meal of the day is usually around 5:00 or 6:00pm. I am in bed usually by 9:30ish. So for me not to eat till the next day at 11 or 12 I'm starving!

What you fill your diet with also plays a role. I don't eat until 11am most days, except for the occasional weekend day, but I aim for at least 30% protein daily. It keeps me full. If I ate a ton of empty carbs (not saying you are) I'd also be starving until noon the next day.

It's really just a way to manipulate your daily calorie allotment. 1600 calories in 2 meals vs. 1600 calories in 6 meals is still 1600 calories. I prefer volume. I like to eat a lot at once, so having 2 large meals and a small snack helps me stick to my deficit.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    One thing you can do that helps is after your last meal, brush and floss your teeth.it helps you remember that eating is done for the day. Good luck!
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

It does exactly that for me. I feel so much more in control. I don't feel a slave to "hunger" any more. Because sometimes it's not hunger and just boredom or thirst or whatever. I've ended up less hungry over all. Or, I'm just listening to my body better.

As for working out fasted, just test it out and see. I personally don't need to eat before a work out, and I prefer to time it so I can eat after since I do get hungrier. But I have that luxury right now. Your body has plenty of energy stores to get you through a typical workout. Some like to take BCAA's if strength training to help. Your C4 looks like it's fine to use during a fast.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I can work faster if I do it first thing in the morning. If I wait, it's a disaster.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options

It does exactly that for me. I feel so much more in control. I don't feel a slave to "hunger" any more. Because sometimes it's not hunger and just boredom or thirst or whatever. I've ended up less hungry over all. Or, I'm just listening to my body better.

As for working out fasted, just test it out and see. I personally don't need to eat before a work out, and I prefer to time it so I can eat after since I do get hungrier. But I have that luxury right now. Your body has plenty of energy stores to get you through a typical workout. Some like to take BCAA's if strength training to help. Your C4 looks like it's fine to use during a fast.

Couldn't have said it any better. To add to this you'll be buring more fat during a fasted workout vs a workout with food in your stomach. That's science. A quick Google search will validate that if you've any doubts. Personally I train like an animal without the need of any pre workout meal or anything of the sort. As you're new to it you may not feel the greatest training fasted but I assure you, within a week or so you'll be pleased you made the change. Welcome to the high life :smile:
  • StealthHealth
    Options

Couldn't have said it any better. To add to this you'll be buring more fat during a fasted workout vs a workout with food in your stomach. That's science. A quick Google search will validate that if you've any doubts. Personally I train like an animal without the need of any pre workout meal or anything of the sort. As you're new to it you may not feel the greatest training fasted but I assure you, within a week or so you'll be pleased you made the change. Welcome to the high life :smile:

Stuff in bold. Technically true but misleading for anyone comparing the same fasted and fed exercise (with identical daily calorific input).
  • Bruja924
    Bruja924 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I workout on any empty stomach (only because I work out at 4am) and have no trouble.
  • BodyzLanguage
    edited August 2016
    Options

Stuff in bold. Technically true but misleading for anyone comparing the same fasted and fed exercise (with identical daily calorific input).

Not really because the fact remains the same. You'll burn less fat if you workout with a meal in your stomach vs someone else doing the same work out while on an 16 hour fast with both people eating the same amount of calories for that day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

What are you eating for breakfast? Typical breakfast food like cereal doesn't satiate me at all. I need about 30% protein per meal to feel full afterwards.

Once I upped my protein and fiber I only became hungry right before meals and stopped getting the munchies and obsessing about food.

• StealthHealth
    Options

Not really because the fact remains the same. You'll burn less fat if you workout with a meal in your stomach vs someone else doing the same work out while on an 16 hour fast with both people eating the same amount of calories for that day.

That is not my understanding of physiology and I think is contrary to the first law of thermodynamics - could you provide some evidence?
  • BodyzLanguage
    edited August 2016
    Options

That is not my understanding of physiology and I think is contrary to the first law of thermodynamics - could you provide some evidence?

I could supply a bunch of links providing evidence to back my statement but that'll force my hand to a back and forth of my facts vs your facts tennis. I'm not into that. What I can say is this is what I do and i get shredded much quicker vs when I would eat a meal before a workout. Only a matter of weeks in difference but the latter approach worked better in my case.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

I could supply a bunch of links providing evidence to back my statement but that'll force my hand to a back and forth of my facts vs your facts tennis. I'm not into that. What I can say is this is what I do and i get shredded much quicker vs when I would eat a meal before a workout. Only a matter of weeks in difference but the former approach worked better in my case.

I suspect it's the same as the 'fat burning zone' thing...yes, a higher percentage of what you burn fasted is fat but if you eat you can work harder and burn more in total.
  • twebber03
    twebber03 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great conversation. I've been trying to figure out how to lose weight with IF. I haven't had much success with many of my approaches because I have a big appetite. However, I have noticed it going down since doing IF. However, my weight hasn't changed. It has been two weeks.

One really cool thing I did see was a video interview of a Doctor who specialized in Breast Cancer. She said the when patients fasted at night (and only at night) for 14 hours, they saw a significant drop is cancer cell growth This could also apply to other cancers and health issues, but it hasn't been tested.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I love IF. I switched from half & half to heavy cream (no carbs in it) in my coffee. It doesn't switch any carb cravings on and I can wait until 10:30 or 11 am to eat. Then I have brunch and dinner spaced about 8 hours apart.

Like a few others have mentioned, I prefer to eat a "normal" sized dinner with family. This way I can keep daily calories in check while not feeling deprived. I felt hungry all day long when I was doing 200 calories 6 times a day with mini-meals/snacks.

IF makes me content that I don't have to even think about eating between meals. I don't really want snacks much anymore. If I do have one I eat it within 1 hour of the meal and budget in the calories.

It depends on your personality. If you love "grazing" all day or like lots of little meals you might not like it. I do the 8 hour window with 16 hours fasting.
  • StealthHealth
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @BodyzLanguage I see. That is fair enough. But I think that when you said "science":
    To add to this you'll be buring more fat during a fasted workout vs a workout with food in your stomach. That's science.

what you really meant was "in my experience"?

I'm not trying to get at you here, but it's important for the OP (and just as importantly anyone else who stumbles across this thread in the future) doesn't come away with the wrong impression. After all, this is how dietary myths get created and we've got enough of those already.

Of course, it's entirely possible that I'm wrong and that, in isocalorific conditions fasted exercise yields a greater fat loss, and if that is the case I'd be happy to be proven wrong but if so let's get all that out in the open and slay the "Calories in versus Calories" mantra.

For the record this is the latest (unfortunately it's a 2011 paper) piece of freely available research I could find on human studies where fasted/fed exercise was compared iso-calorifically:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Antonio_Paoli/publication/50409403_Exercising_fasting_or_fed_to_enhance_fat_loss_Influence_of_food_intake_on_respiratory_ratio_and_excess_postexercise_oxygen_consumption_after_a_bout_of_endurance_training/links/0912f502eba1356566000000.pdf

"The authors conclude that when moderate endurance exercise is done to lose body fat,
    fasting before exercise does not enhance lipid utilization; rather, physical activity after a light meal is advisable."

But, I did find a 2016 Meta-Analysis which covered 9 individual studies (981 subjects) interventions >6 months (but unfortunately without the exercise component taken into consideration).

http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/8/6/354/htm

"This review confirms that in the little long term evidence available, IER achieves weight loss but there was no evidence that it provided superior management in comparison to CER."

(IER = Intermittent Energy Restrication. CER = Continuous Energy Restriction).

• NowSteffy50
    NowSteffy50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 16:8 approach for a month and it has been great. I've set two 'alerts' on my jawbone for 1pm and 9 pm and the rest of the day I can forget about food. It is really liberating.

I am tracking my calories and because I am having two reasonable size meals a day I am finding compliance much easier. In addition, it is helping me when I am travelling with work, as it is easy to find a healthy meal at a higher calorie level (1000ish) as opposed to the 500-600 that would be an evening meal on a 3 meals a day protocol.

My concerntration is better in the morning, I am getting more done at work and as I can eat a reasonable amount of carbs in my last meal of the day, I am sleeping better. I know people will quote lots of studies documenting health benefits, but the real benefit for me is that it is easy to do and easy to stick with the lower calorie levels.

The biggest surprise to me is lack of hunger.
  • DebSozo
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sustainability is the most important component. If you hate it you won't keep it up. I find it liberating whereas someone else might find it too restrictive. I can slide the IF eating window around to accomodate social things fairly easily. If I'm going out for lunch with friends I will flip my heavy meal to lunch and have a light dinner.
  • DebSozo
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If cream is important then have it. I can't stand coffee black either, so I sympathize.