Tell me I'm fat...

Options
2»

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Twiley510 wrote: »
    Self perception is my struggle. I've lost over 70 lbs since last March. I can see the difference in clothes (from 20W to 8 misses). Lots of people tell me I'm "tiny". But all I see is the 50 lbs I still need to lose, the fat rolls in my belly and my bingo-wing arms. I still feel fat even though many I encounter give me praise and want to know how I'm losing so much.

I also worry about the relationship evolution. My significant other jokes that I will leave him when I am fit. He is disabled so losing weight is more difficult for him and exercise is not an option. I know he is joking, but in the back of my mind I keep the saying "Behind every joke is a grain of truth." So I wonder if he really feels that way deep inside.

Size 8 is a desirable size for many women. I would take their complements seriously.

Your husband is probably sad that he can't keep up with you now that you are getting fitter and getting more attention from men.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Body acceptance is important. I think the smaller a person gets the more attention is paid to other little imperfections. We are never quite happy with everything about ourselves because people are always comparing and judging against some kind of unrealistic standards. Confidence. attention to clothing style for body type, and grooming are what makes a person more attractive, IMO.

Many of the looks are just fads. For instance, if a more Rubenesque body were to be in vogue, and guys were going gaga over the look, then people would be working to put in a few more pounds.

At this stage of my life I'm happy to be in a normal BMI range. I used to want to attain someone else's idea of attractiveness, but now I do the best I can. That doesn't stop me from trying to edge the scale down a few notches though to stay out of overweight zone. But I respect anyone trying to lose pounds because it is a huge, long term commitment.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I was unhappy about my obese status. I wasn't unhappy overall. I'm now happy about my weight. I am now more happy overall.

I guess there are people out there who don't experience a net increase in happiness when they reach their goal. That's too bad. It's a shame to not be able to be proud of an accomplishment or to have the joy of that accomplishment overshadowed by other emotional baggage.
  • brower47
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    brower47 wrote: »
    I was unhappy about my obese status. I wasn't unhappy overall. I'm now happy about my weight. I am now more happy overall.

I guess there are people out there who don't experience a net increase in happiness when they reach their goal. That's too bad. It's a shame to not be able to be proud of an accomplishment or to have the joy of that accomplishment overshadowed by other emotional baggage.

Deep breath. Consider where other people may be coming from; one or many of the following may apply to any individual (and others I haven't thought of).

1. Their being overweight may not have caused unhappiness itself.
    2. They may be losing weight for medical reasons.
    3. They may have been emotionally stable and happy to begin with.
    4. They may have other mental illness issues or life situations that impact their happiness far more than their weight.
    5. They may have given up other valuable things in their life to achieve that goal. Time and money are finite resources. There are things that are productive and valuable to me that are MUCH harder to find time do now that I spend 1.5 hours a day walking.

You can be proud of an accomplishment without that making a big impact in your joy or happiness. I'm proud of the business I built in four years, going from -0- to over $1 million in sales. I'm proud of the research I've done and my achievements as a scientist. But those things are not my core identity as a person, and as such do not define my happiness. Similarly, having lost 95 lbs mostly makes me feel *relieved*. Not proud, and neither happy or sad. That's not emotional baggage, it's actually having perspective about what's important to me in my life.

Take another deep breath to contain your distain for my post.

My last paragraph applies to your 1-5. "I guess there are some people out there that don't experience a net increase in happiness when they reach their goal."

Your second paragraph is just a bunch of humble bragging and an attempt to apply my generalized statement to your specific situation. You shouldn't have done that; it just caused you to feel offended where no offense existed.

Congratulations on your success.
  • battyfitch
    battyfitch Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Humble brags are the best. They always make me laugh.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Deep breath. Consider where other people may be coming from; one or many of the following may apply to any individual (and others I haven't thought of).

4. They may have other mental illness issues or life situations that impact their happiness far more than their weight.
    5. They may have given up other valuable things in their life to achieve that goal. Time and money are finite resources. There are things that are productive and valuable to me that are MUCH harder to find time do now that I spend 1.5 hours a day walking.

You can be proud of an accomplishment without that making a big impact in your joy or happiness. I'm proud of the business I built in four years, going from -0- to over $1 million in sales. I'm proud of the research I've done and my achievements as a scientist. But those things are not my core identity as a person, and as such do not define my happiness. Similarly, having lost 95 lbs mostly makes me feel *relieved*. Not proud, and neither happy or sad. That's not emotional baggage, it's actually having perspective about what's important to me in my life.

My last paragraph applies to your 1-5. "I guess there are some people out there that don't experience a net increase in happiness when they reach their goal."

Your second paragraph is just a bunch of humble bragging and an attempt to apply my generalized statement to your specific situation. You shouldn't have done that; it just caused you to feel offended where no offense existed.

You directly stated that "it's too bad" that some people don't get happier overall from losing weight, and then infer that it means they either don't take pride in the weight loss, or that they have some kind of emotional baggage. It's flawed logic - you can take pride in something without it having any noticeable effect on your overall life happiness, and that doesn't require emotional baggage to be true.
  • brower47
    edited August 2016
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

You directly stated that "it's too bad" that some people don't get happier overall from losing weight, and then infer that it means they either don't take pride in the weight loss, or that they have some kind of emotional baggage. It's flawed logic - you can take pride in something without it having any noticeable effect on your overall life happiness, and that doesn't require emotional baggage to be true.

Some people. Not all people.

Some people that might feel happiness at achieving their loss might also have emotional baggage that prevents them from enjoying it. Or is that something that is impossible and has never happened?

It's not a logic flaw. It's a difference of perspective. From my perspective, pride and happiness aren't separate things, they are indelibly intertwined. Your perspective and that of the person that quoted me obviously have a different perspective and believe that those two emotions are separate entities that one does not affect the other. And since there is not objective standard to assess these subjective emotions, we're at an impass.

And I don't think I'm too big of a jerk for having the personal feeling that it's "too bad" when someone's happiness doesn't increase from accomplishing something both difficult and life changing. I tend to hope that people, even ones I don't personally know, are happy. /shrug
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Some people that might feel happiness at achieving their loss might also have emotional baggage that prevents them from enjoying it. Or is that something that is impossible and has never happened?

It's not a logic flaw. It's a difference of perspective. From my perspective, pride and happiness aren't separate things, they are indelibly intertwined. Your perspective and that of the person that quoted me obviously have a different perspective and believe that those two emotions are separate entities that one does not affect the other. And since there is not objective standard to assess these subjective emotions, we're at an impass.

And I don't think I'm too big of a jerk for having the personal feeling that it's "too bad" when someone's happiness doesn't increase from accomplishing something both difficult and life changing. I tend to hope that people, even ones I don't personally know, are happy. /shrug

Well, it's fair to say that I'm happy about losing weight. And I am happy overall, but I was happy overall before.

I guess for me - while weight loss was long and at times challenging, it hasn't been life changing. Certainly, sometimes it has been a benefit - I can fit in airline seats without oozing over the armrests, I can shop in normal clothing stores - and I'm glad that I am more fit & can accomplish my hobbies, but for the most part life changed very little. My weight didn't have a significant negative impact before, nor does it have a significant positive one now.

Like with many other things, I can be happy about this without it having any significant effect on how happy I am with life as a whole.
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The whole topic of being fat is incredibly complex for me. I hate being fat. It stops me from doing the things I want to do. I love to travel, yet I have to spend a lot of money to fly because I want extra space so I don't impinge on my skinny neighbors. I love theater and ballet, yet I have the constant worry of whether or not I'll fit in seats. I am a fat physician, so I am constantly wondering if my colleagues think negatively of me and judge me as less competent because of the way I look.

And worse, I hate fat because I have the medical knowledge to know that I'm harming myself. I am only 39 and I have high blood pressure. I'm lucky that I don't have high cholesterol or diabetes or fatty liver.

Being morbidly obese sucks for me. I'm working hard on changing (lost almost 60 lbs) but it is going to be a constant struggle for me for the rest of my life. I know this, because I've gained and lost so much weight in my life.

And while I disagree with the HAES, because I know that being morbidly obese sets you up for a ton of health issues down the line, I do believe I need to work on not hating myself. I'm a nice person, who works hard and treats others well. Being fat does not make me a less worthy person, even though I sometimes feel that way. It's an issue that I need to correct, but skinny folks can have issues too (they just might not wear theirs for the world to see). And I don't need anyone to tell me to lose weight, or how unhealthy it is to be fat. Trust me, I know. I think about it every single day.
  • brower47
    Options

Well, it's fair to say that I'm happy about losing weight. And I am happy overall, but I was happy overall before.

I guess for me - while weight loss was long and at times challenging, it hasn't been life changing. Certainly, sometimes it has been a benefit - I can fit in airline seats without oozing over the armrests, I can shop in normal clothing stores - and I'm glad that I am more fit & can accomplish my hobbies, but for the most part life changed very little. My weight didn't have a significant negative impact before, nor does it have a significant positive one now.

Like with many other things, I can be happy about this without it having any significant effect on how happy I am with life as a whole.

Life changing doesn't have to denote something catastrophic or massive. All the bolded are changes in your life.

Why do I get the impression that you want to downplay the impact of your weight loss? Or maybe I'm reading t wrong.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options

No disdain was intended, I apologize if that's how my response came across to you. Nor was I offended, and I'm sorry that you read my reply that way as well.

I was attempting to give a personal example to a couple of points as to why pride in achievement is not necessarily linked to happiness. Perhaps I should have added that the examples I gave of things which I can reasonably be proud are also both things from which I have voluntarily walked away. This is how I know they are not inextricable to my self-identity nor my happiness. I was simply trying to soften and round out the list with something less coldly analytical and more personally relatable.

I've found it is wise not to ascribe motive, intent, or emotions to other people, because it is difficult to know all of what is going on in their mind and heart.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    kmsnyg wrote: »
    The whole topic of being fat is incredibly complex for me. I hate being fat. It stops me from doing the things I want to do. I love to travel, yet I have to spend a lot of money to fly because I want extra space so I don't impinge on my skinny neighbors. I love theater and ballet, yet I have the constant worry of whether or not I'll fit in seats. I am a fat physician, so I am constantly wondering if my colleagues think negatively of me and judge me as less competent because of the way I look.

And worse, I hate fat because I have the medical knowledge to know that I'm harming myself. I am only 39 and I have high blood pressure. I'm lucky that I don't have high cholesterol or diabetes or fatty liver.

Being morbidly obese sucks for me. I'm working hard on changing (lost almost 60 lbs) but it is going to be a constant struggle for me for the rest of my life. I know this, because I've gained and lost so much weight in my life.

And while I disagree with the HAES, because I know that being morbidly obese sets you up for a ton of health issues down the line, I do believe I need to work on not hating myself. I'm a nice person, who works hard and treats others well. Being fat does not make me a less worthy person, even though I sometimes feel that way. It's an issue that I need to correct, but skinny folks can have issues too (they just might not wear theirs for the world to see). And I don't need anyone to tell me to lose weight, or how unhealthy it is to be fat. Trust me, I know. I think about it every single day.

Well done on your loss, I can empathise with a lot of your points. I'm acutely aware of impinging on others space (btw London theatres are tiny). I have had some moments of imposter syndrome which is only exacerbated by my issues with my weight being obvious for the world to see.

So far my tests have all been fine but I know it’s just a bit of genetic luck and my age.

I’m not a clinician but I’m actively involved in health care, I was watching cardiac surgery and the surgeons were making comments about some things were harder because this person was so over weight. They were actually smaller than me.