Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do we judge a healthy weight range? BMI is no longer valid?

Options

Replies

• MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    @MarkusDarwath I guess the only thing left to do is to wait and see what the status is when you get to 220. Since we are using bio-impendence estimations so the muscle mass measurement can be used, but loosely at this point, and we really don't know how much muscle mass you may lose while continuing to lose weight, it's kinda pointless to keep debating your stats. All I know is I wish you luck getting there, and look forward to reattacking this at that point.

I've actually just about made up my mind to pop for a dxa scan. I'm in a college town and the university offers it for $50. I'm not real clear tho on whether dxa can give me a breakdown between muscle and other lean mass. I'm hoping it can.

• MarkusDarwath
    Options
    That's why, when one is in the overweight category, the general advice is either "consider doing something about it", or "just don't gain anymore". It's not until they kick down the door on obese that the advice changes to "okay, seriously, fix yourself".

That's not very helpful to the people who are within BMI but over fat anyway.
  • Rlha2017
    Rlha2017 Posts: 158 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

ouryve wrote: »
    Rlha2017 wrote: »
    They tell me I'm over weight. I don't think so

ztrv9gsdwjxp.jpeg

You are the rare exception, though. You certainly don't get that muscular by accident or through mere genetics.

True. It's called hard work and years of dedication.
  • MarkusDarwath
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »
    You are the rare exception, though. You certainly don't get that muscular by accident or through mere genetics.

Seemingly, he's not that rare if you use MFP as a sampling, tho.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Here's a read out from a scan I had done in March to give you an idea of what you will see.

image1.jpg
    image2.jpg
    image3.jpg
  • stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Here's a read out from a scan I had done in March to give you an idea of what you will see.

Hmmmm....you weighed 90.1 pounds on the left side, and 88.9 pounds on the right side: did you find yourself tilting to the port side, or walking in circles? :D
  • MarkusDarwath
    Options
    Looks like it doesn't really separate muscle out from other lean mass. Bummer. Stuck with BIA estimation on that point (assuming BIA BF% matches the dxa).
  • MarkusDarwath
    Options

Hmmmm....you weighed 90.1 pounds on the left side, and 88.9 pounds on the right side: did you find yourself tilting to the port side, or walking in circles? :D

Sorry if I'm pooing on your joke by being too literal here.. muscular asymmetry is normal due to left-right dominance. Some people might not know that.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    BMI is just built off insurance risk tables though. Health risk increases over (or under) a given mass for a given height. Saying that Most People can't get a medical benefit from getting under a 25 BMI is nonsensical. All BMI is saying, literally (in the original sense of the word) is that Most People do get a health benefit from getting under a 25 BMI. What it doesn't say is which people are part of that "Most People" group.

Statistically speaking, most people -don't- get a particular benefit from being under 25BMI. The actual cutoff for increased risk is 30 for those without other health risk indicators, or 27-28 for those who do have other indicators (such as high blood pressure, glucose or cholesterol.)

The "overweight" category has no meaning by itself.

This isn't true. Under 20 or over 25 BMI risk does increase, particularly for men. This is a meta-study with a total of over 10 million participants in 239 studies of weight and risk of death, "all cause mortality", so correlation no proven causation, but a large chunk of people studied.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(16)30175-1/abstract

"Mortality was lowest in the
    BMI range from 20·0 kg/m² to less than 25·0 kg/m²,
    and was significantly increased just below this BMI
    range and in the overweight range just above it."

Again, I want to say that I support aesthetic goals and do not believe you have any sort of obligation to get to the healthiest possible weight for your height. All of us make compromises in some direction, nobody is doing 100% of the "right things" to be healthy. When you have information, though, you can make an informed choice about it. Overweight does increase health risk.

What surprised me in this study was the increased death rate for those between 18.5 and 20 BMI, not the increase in overweight and obese. I would have thought that carrying less weight was healthier until you got to that 18.5, but that isn't borne out in the big study.

Good luck to you in getting to your personal goals.
  • MarkusDarwath
    Options
    This isn't true. Under 20 or over 25 BMI risk does increase, particularly for men. This is a meta-study with a total of over 10 million participants in 239 studies of weight and risk of death, "all cause mortality", so correlation no proven causation, but a large chunk of people studied.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(16)30175-1/abstract

Fair enough. I'm not going to try nitpicking details about quality of the base studies or the aggregation of studies across varying population groups. Given that aggregation studies tend to balance out flaws in component studies, one would have to basically re-do the meta-study to assess the validity of their conclusions, and that could well go either way.
    Again, I want to say that I support aesthetic goals and do not believe you have any sort of obligation to get to the healthiest possible weight for your height.

I'm pretty sure 15% body fat will be close to optimum healthy weight, regardless of how much muscle I add to it. :)
    What surprised me in this study was the increased death rate for those between 18.5 and 20 BMI, not the increase in overweight and obese. I would have thought that carrying less weight was healthier until you got to that 18.5, but that isn't borne out in the big study.

I would imagine that's 1. difference in resilience in the face of accident or disease, and 2. people in that group being more physically active and prone to risk taking.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

;)

Though not actually that off. I'm quite lopsided due to accumulated injuries. Gammy right foot meant that my right shin was almost an inch smaller than my left, a while back, though I seem to have stabilised it,vfinally, after many years of embarrassing falls. Conversely, developed a massive right forearm compared with left, due to a combination of knitting style and arthritic left elbow!
    BMI is just built off insurance risk tables though. Health risk increases over (or under) a given mass for a given height. Saying that Most People can't get a medical benefit from getting under a 25 BMI is nonsensical. All BMI is saying, literally (in the original sense of the word) is that Most People do get a health benefit from getting under a 25 BMI. What it doesn't say is which people are part of that "Most People" group.

Statistically speaking, most people -don't- get a particular benefit from being under 25BMI. The actual cutoff for increased risk is 30 for those without other health risk indicators, or 27-28 for those who do have other indicators (such as high blood pressure, glucose or cholesterol.)

The "overweight" category has no meaning by itself.

"Mortality was lowest in the
    BMI range from 20·0 kg/m² to less than 25·0 kg/m²,
    and was significantly increased just below this BMI
    range and in the overweight range just above it."

Again, I want to say that I support aesthetic goals and do not believe you have any sort of obligation to get to the healthiest possible weight for your height. All of us make compromises in some direction, nobody is doing 100% of the "right things" to be healthy. When you have information, though, you can make an informed choice about it. Overweight does increase health risk.

Good luck to you in getting to your personal goals.

I think one of the more overlooked problems at lower BMI, particularly for women, is a sharp drop in bone density, which can severely affect mobility and overall health in later life. I suspect that correlation and causation may become muddied, with this issue. Though. After all, many skinny people get that way eating shite, too. if you live on tabs, instant coffee and toast, then you may have a BMI of 20, but you are likely to be malnourished.
  • concrete_daisies
    concrete_daisies Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Getting an idea of what your lean body mass is (even if it's off by say 3%), you can get an ideal body weight if you know it and use this formula.

Your lean body mass divided by (1 minus the body fat percentage you want to be)

So say you're 120lbs lean body mass and want to be 20% body fat. Then apply the formula.

120/(1-.20)
    120/.80= 150lbs

So 150lbs would be the target weight (approximate) to be at 20% body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is misleading, generally when you lose weight you lose some lean body mass as well as fat. The exact proportion will depend on how you are eating, whether you are doing weightlifting, and how quickly you drop the weight. But you are never going to be able to keep ALL of the lean body mass.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    2efii6w4ts0z.jpg
    Also I've been dying to share this. Because statistical distributions do not mean what people seem to think they mean. A LOT of people fall outside 1 standard deviation of the mean. A fair number fall outside two standard deviations. And in a world with 7.4 billion people, 14 million people fall outside 3 standard deviations. That's a lot of people!

14M is .2% of 7.4B or 2 out of 1000 people. 14M is a lot of people but pretty insignificant when taken as a part of the world's population.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    14M is .2% of 7.4B or 2 out of 1000 people. 14M is a lot of people but pretty insignificant when taken as a part of the world's population.

It's approximately the population of Norway and Sweden combined. Yet people meet folks from those countries all the time! It's utterly amazing.

Also, 3 standard deviations would be 0.3% or 22.2 million... An even greater number! I changed my math when I was confused by my own graphic /facepalm.