do i have an eating disorder ?

So I started my diet in early June. And it was really bad at the start, with only 350 calories a day. It shunk my stomach to the point a half a block of ramen filled me up for about 14 hours. I had problems, I slept maybe 4 hours a night, I was always tired but never really slept. I was to tired to work out. Well after about 6 weeks on the diet I worked my way up to the point I'd just eat a bunch of snacks no real meals.my friend at the time said she's been on a liquid diet. So I thought bout doing it, but when I brought it up to my partner , my partner said they would leave me if I did a liquid diet. I was with them for almost 4 months. My eating habits was part of one of the reasons my partner left me... Anyways, I currently eat roughly 800 calories a day now. My food dairy is available for people to see if anyone wants to see it and help me out. I try to work out for 40min every other day. But sometimes I can get so sore I can't move for 4-8 days at a time. So I was just wondering... Do I have an eating disorder ? Last September I was 248 pounds. By June I was 223 pounds. And right now I am 210 pounds

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Yes you do. Get help.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited August 2016
    Sorry typed something then lost it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    If you're concerned then you should seek out a professional opinion.

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    If you're concerned that you have an eating disorder, then the best thing to do is to speak with a professional who can determine that
  • eating 900 calories a day or less is a starvation diet, and exercise on top of that means you're running on adrenaline and nothing more, it won't be long before you're doing some serious damage. Ask yourself, are you willing to move to a healthy 1200+ cals a day diet? If the answer is no, and that idea scares you, then you have developed an eating disordered mindset, you may not have a full ED yet, but you're well on your way there. Please, seek some help before it's too late
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    I'm just going to leave this one to the professionals
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    I call BS on this thread.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    How do you know that you're eating 800 cals? Do you use a food scale?

• thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    I call BS on this thread.

Why
  • RowenaS99
    RowenaS99 Posts: 15 Member
    Your time line has some holes. From September, presumably 2015, to June 2016, you lost 25 lb. That's not 'eating disorder' speed. From June to August 2016 you've lost 13 lb. Again, that's not "eating disorder" speed, not at your size.

How very accurate are you with saying that you eat 800 calories daily?

What are you eating? I also am unable to see your diary.

Offhand, I am going to guess that you are very low on protein, which might hint at a cause for your extended days of soreness. However, until you are weighing and accurately logging your food, you don't know how much you are eating. As an aside, I once saw a youtube video about ramen which had a fellow swallow a stomach-cam with his ramen and the video demonstrated that the ramen resisted digestion for multiple hours in the stomach. That is why half a block filled you. It wasn't providing you with a good variety of nutrition, but it was occupying space in your stomach.

If you do have a scale. If you do use a scale for all your eats. If you accurately log, then just eat more stuff until you get to 1200 calories, making sure to reach your protein goal.

I just edited my dairy settings so the public can view it. Sorry I thought it was already set that way. I also saw that video btw
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    RowenaS99 wrote: »
    Your time line has some holes. From September, presumably 2015, to June 2016, you lost 25 lb. That's not 'eating disorder' speed. From June to August 2016 you've lost 13 lb. Again, that's not "eating disorder" speed, not at your size.

How very accurate are you with saying that you eat 800 calories daily?

What are you eating? I also am unable to see your diary.

Offhand, I am going to guess that you are very low on protein, which might hint at a cause for your extended days of soreness. However, until you are weighing and accurately logging your food, you don't know how much you are eating. As an aside, I once saw a youtube video about ramen which had a fellow swallow a stomach-cam with his ramen and the video demonstrated that the ramen resisted digestion for multiple hours in the stomach. That is why half a block filled you. It wasn't providing you with a good variety of nutrition, but it was occupying space in your stomach.

If you do have a scale. If you do use a scale for all your eats. If you accurately log, then just eat more stuff until you get to 1200 calories, making sure to reach your protein goal.

I just edited my dairy settings so the public can view it. Sorry I thought it was already set that way. I also saw that video btw

Okay, first off, your food diary contains items such as 1/4 loaf, 8 pringles. which leads me to believe that you aren't using a food scale, and therefore don't know how many calories you're consuming, but it's far too evident that your calories are far, far, far too low.

Also, you're not getting enough protein fiber or fat....and definitely not enough calories. I highly recommend that you find out your true maintenance calories...as long as you eat below these calories, you'll lose weight. That's how weight loss works. The winner is the one that can eat the most calories and still lose weight. I lose 1lb per week on 1300 if I am sedentary, but... that really sucks. I exercise and eat back half my earned exercise calories back (if it is cardio). I don't log any calories from lifting.

What you're doing is a sure way of getting incredibly sick. Yeah, you'll lose weight, but you'll lose your hair, your skin will go to heck, your nails with break, your teeth will crumble, you'll lose your period....and you'll do a number (a horrible one) on your heart.

You need to see a therapist ASAP. You're harming yourself with no nutrition and too little calories. Your body NEEDS calories to thrive. If you do this for a long time, you'll most likely shorten your life. Sorry.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    25 years ago, I was a bulimic who purged by exercise. Go talk to someone - a doctor, a therapist, someone face to face. It's a bad road.
  • caslpierce
    caslpierce Posts: 32 Member
    1) im sorry you feel you need to do this to yourself.

2) when you finally do recover from this, your metabolism will be so damaged that it will make losing weight the healthy way much harder.

3) weight does not determine an eating disorder, mentality does and there is nothing glamouros about it.

Recovered anorexic and bulimic speaking from experience. I lost the weight. Gained it back. Was addicted to the starvation high. Now i am losing weight again, but this time i have energy to go to the gym.

Believe me when i say you can eat 1500 calories and lose half a pound a day if you exercise. Doesnt that sound much more appealing than starving and wearing away your muscles?

Please see someone. A dietician would be beneficial, working tandem with a therapist. You will regret not getting help.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    This is not the right place to be asking if you have an eating disorder. Certainly what you are reporting in your initial post sounds very unhealthy, but no strange on the internet is able to diagnose and treat you if that's the case.

I suggest you get in touch with a qualified medical person or support group in real life. If it's hard to talk about it, you could print out what you've written here as a starting point.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Yes you do. That's just the reality of it. If you started out at 800 cals then I would've said that could be beginners naivety however as you started out so low, meaning you were suppressing your body telling you to feed it, shows they're some much deeper issues going on. You haven't mentioned if you binge or not, do you? That's usually the case with extreme dieters.
  • RowenaS99
    RowenaS99 Posts: 15 Member
    Yes you do. That's just the reality of it. If you started out at 800 cals then I would've said that could be beginners naivety however as you started out so low, meaning you were suppressing your body telling you to feed it, shows they're some much deeper issues going on. You haven't mentioned if you binge or not, do you? That's usually the case with extreme dieters.
    No I've never binged. I'm to afraid to binge.