Can you just do weight training and cut out cardio?

Options
I hate cardio. I'd like to cut it out and just concentrate on lifting heavy weights. I'm about 20% body fat, 45 years old and female. I don't need to lose body fat.

I have read that the most important things (in priority sequence) are:

1. diet
2. weight training
3. cardio

The article stated that cardio is not important if you're lifting heavy. true?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I believe that cardio is vital for heart and lung health. You don't have to go full out running or cycling for hours either. There are lot's of different things you can do. A long romantic walk, a game of laser quest with friends. Anything that raises your heart rate for a while.
    Is there no cardio you like?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i am not a big cardio fan, but I try to get in some cardio every week whether it is walking, jogging, or some HIIT training....
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I cut it out. I should probably do SOME for heart health. And that would be my advice to someone else...even though...I don't.

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If your primary interests are strength and aesthetics, cardio isn't as important.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Its hard to argue which is more important, resistance training or cardio, but you have to do a lot less of them than many people assume. I'd argue that diet is most important regardless of goal, as it can easily prevent accomplishing anything.

Get 30 minutes of walking in per day (on average), and you'll be pretty well off. For resistance training, you can do something as simple as 3 full body compound exercises 3x/week and it doesn't have to be anything particularly tough. If you don't have a goal of having big muscles or being really strong you can stop progressing and just maintain after building a decent amount of strength.

Personally, I lift 3x/week and walk 30 minutes/day and play Ultimate 1x/week. If you asked me, I'd tell you I don't do cardio, but I do, just not as "exercise".
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, then you don't have to do it.

If you walk and climb stairs and are generally an active person, I think that would be enough.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    serapel wrote: »
    I hate cardio. I'd like to cut it out and just concentrate on lifting heavy weights. I'm about 20% body fat, 45 years old and female. I don't need to lose body fat.

1. diet
    2. weight training
    3. cardio

I lost 98lbs without doing any cardio so ... for me the answer is yes, I only incorporate cardio to break plateaus.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    It's a free country. The cardio police won't break down your door if you stop.

The real question is what your fitness goals are, and if you need cardio to get there.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I cut it out. I should probably do SOME for heart health. And that would be my advice to someone else...even though...I don't.

Ditto. Occasionally I'll do a 30 - 40 minute session on the stepmill just to make sure I still can, but I do most of my lifting as circuits (not super heavy weights; more reps) and that keeps my heart rate up and I break a sweat. Good enough for me for now.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I would do cardio at least once a week if not two times just for cardio health I play football with some really big in physical shape guys and they just gas out really quick its a shame!! Moderation in different exercises just like in different types of food is best.

I ride a bike 30 min everyday about 8-10 miles its just my morning thing and its only 30 min.. I lift 6 days a week heavy.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I get enough cardio on my high volume leg days. Regular steady state cardio makes me suicidal.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options

1. diet
    2. weight training
    3. cardio

The article stated that cardio is not important if you're lifting heavy.

Not important for what goal? For general fitness & life preparedness, having some cardio capacity can be very useful for some. :+1:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Cardio doesn't necessarily mean running, eliptacals & things of that nature.
    Doing some form of Cardio that you enjoy will benefit you more than just for weight loss, and it will help you train harder in your lifting sessions.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

1. diet
    2. weight training
    3. cardio

Not important for what?
    You haven't stated what you are trying to achieve or what the article was about.

Assume as diet is #1 the article is talking about weight loss so agree with diet being #1.
    #2 & #3 are complimentary (not just for weight loss) and I would struggle to put one above the other but the balance is very individual.

If health or fitness are in your goals then you should do some cardio. Is there nothing enjoyable for you that gets your heart rate up and lungs working?
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I'm more into pushing weights, but I am predisposed to high cholesterol (thanks Dad), I try to get a little cardio in here and there but certainly cardio is not my drive to go to the gym. While I think cardio has its place and value I still dont like it.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

1. diet
    2. weight training
    3. cardio

If you mean things like pounding away on the treadmill or elliptical. Yup. But, for overall heart health you "should" at least incorporate 30mins of brisk walking a couple days a week.
  • yogicathlete
    yogicathlete Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For someone who's goal is body recomp. or to increase general athleticism...then you can absolutely skip traditional cardio IF you lift weights in a specific way that challenges your metabolic system.

The downside of this type of training is that its pretty darn hard....it'll push you to your limits if you are doing it correctly.

For more info...google: Metabolic Resistance Training

Once again, its hard training but the benefits are undeniable.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i don't do much cardio because of a knee injury, i just lift heavy and feel great. i do walk as much as i can.