Calorie Estimates and accuracy

Options
Hi All,

I wear a fitbit flex to track my daily steps.
I use MapMyWalk when I intentionally am going out to walk for exercise.
I use MFP to log my food.

When MMW updates my walk to MFP - Fitbit does NOT count that walk as steps. (so it is not duplicated). This is good.

My question is, between the Calories left to eat given to me by MFP and Fitbit (based on what was burned according to Fitbit and MMW) - which of the 2 (fitbit and MFP) would you generally say is more accurate?

This is a question out of curiosity - as I normally do my walks in the evening, and don't eat ANYTHING afterwards - so Im not looking for do I eat half, or a third of them back - just a general question...

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I think the Fitbit itself is. Because my Fitbit says I burn more exercise cals than MFP. Example: my tdee is 1600, no exercise. Average TDEE is 2200 cals, so if my MFP says I've burned 500 cals from exercise, my Fitbit will tell me it was actually around 600. I think this is because I have neg. calories enabled, so I just end up going with the TDEE my Fitbit app says.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I think it varies from person to person. For example.. my fitbit says my TDEE is 4800 kcal.

I know for a fact that I maintain betwen 3000 and 3200, so it's not accurate for me. But then again, neither is MFP's calculation.

I ultimately, through experimentation, figured out my TDEE and I use that instead, adjusting based on real world feedback as time goes on.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Well i am set now at 1600 calories a day to lose 1lb a week.
    My fitbit app says i have 895 calories left to eat and MFP says 497.

I have negative calories enabled.

If I were to eat back half my calories...i wouldnt know if i should eat back the fitbit ones or the MFP ones... And seeing as fitbit is double MFP...you can see the problem....