What's the point of macros?

I'm curious about how much attention I should be paying to macros rather than just hitting a specific calorie goal? I'm not gonna lie, until I get used to logging/eating at my calorie goal, I don't intend to keep track of any other numbers but are there reasons/benefits for doing this? Do you find it makes a huge difference in results?

The only thing I really think about as far as nutrition goes at the moment is are these specific calories going to keep me full enough to not go over my limit?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Well, your body needs a certain amount of fat and protein to function well (and a certain amount of protein is necessary for many fitness goals). If you're able to hit these without tracking, tracking may not be necessary for you. Other people find that getting enough protein helps them feel fuller while in a calorie deficit.
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    I don't use them much because of the way I am eating. I do however, pay attention to Fiber. Anyhow, I shoot for 55 grams a day even though MFP freaks out when I "go over" 28 grams. I also watch the Fat one, the fat I eat is the fat I am wearing.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    really macro tracking is goal dependant.

Read the link I attach its spells the value or devalue in lamens terms.

For the record I am not a BB.com supporter as a rule but the article fits the question well.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/to-macro-or-not-should-you-track-your-macro-intake.html
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    If all you're trying to do right now is get into the routine of logging and staying within your calories, it's fine to leave macros alone for the time being. Once you've got it established and are seeing steady results, pop on over to the nutrition tab and see where you could make improvements in your nutrition.
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Well, your body needs a certain amount of fat and protein to function well (and a certain amount of protein is necessary for many fitness goals). If you're able to hit these without tracking, tracking may not be necessary for you. Other people find that getting enough protein helps them feel fuller while in a calorie deficit.

That's it for me too. If I'm too carb heavy, I'll need to eat over my calories or I'll be too hungry to sleep at the end of the day.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    If all you're trying to do right now is get into the routine of logging and staying within your calories, it's fine to leave macros alone for the time being. Once you've got it established and are seeing steady results, pop on over to the nutrition tab and see where you could make improvements in your nutrition.

This. Macros are important for a lot of things (satiety, general health, etc.), but for weight loss, calories are the most important thing. It's a great idea to take things one step at a time and focus on adjusting to your calorie limit first, and then start thinking about your macros. The last thing you want to do is make too many changes at first and end up quitting.
  • DJMayes2016
    DJMayes2016 Posts: 29 Member
    Beyond protein I don't really track macros, and protein is only because I want to maintain muscle where possible whilst losing.