Snack Ideas- 20g carbs, please help!

Options
I'm diabetic and having trouble controlling my fasting blood sugars (Dawn Syndrome). It was recommended to try eating a bedtime snack with about 20g carbs and some protein (amount of protein wasn't specified). I need some snack ideas and I know you guys have tracked food for a while and thought you could help! Snacks do not have to be low fat.

PS - I do not eat artificial sweeteners, so any "sugar free" options aren't good picks for me.

Thanks!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Things that have carbs, protein, and possibly fat? That's leaves room for just about anything. I'd say go with a bowl of oatmeal with some protein powder in it or a protein bar (most are high in carbs).
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Four ounces of sour cream & onion dip (made from Lipton Onion Soup mix) with a large green pepper cut into strips might work. It's 16g carbs, 19g fat, 5g protein, 3g fiber and 275 calories. Maybe add a little bit of cheese if the protein isn't enough but I think fat slows down the absorption of carbs too doesn't it?

Good luck, I hope you get some more ideas. :)
  • rajathwalharris
    Options
    how about some yogurt?
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    String cheese
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    For a larger snack (or you can cut it in half and save some for later) make a pizza! When I was doing low carb, I ate this at least a few times per week. It is SO GOOD and I didn't miss the crust!

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/cheese_crust_pizza.html

This site is GREAT for anything low carb. Take a look around!