2»

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    hiyomi wrote: »
    Wear pants above your waist! Sounds cheesy, I always thought it was forever too, but the difference is amazing! Once you lose your weight, it will go away on its own :)

not easy to find pants that are at my waist let alone above...lol. I hate pants that sit at the hip or "just below" the waist. I am high waisted so pants that are suppose to be just at or below the waist sit too low on me.....I long for the high waist pants of the 70's

Sounds like you are looking for hi rise:

https://www.ae.com/women-aeo-denim-x-collection/web/s-cat/7630010?icid=AE:HP:sec1:Women:Bottoms:Jeans:TheAEODenimXCollection:ShopWomensJeans

I am short waisted (nearly no waist) and I actually prefer a lower rise because higher rise pants hit around the bottom of my bra.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    DaisyM01 wrote: »
    Many people have already said you can't spot reduce fat so I won't repeat. However I watched something recently that demonstrated that sit ups (or other ab exercises I suppose) can reduce your waist by a couple of inches - you won't lose fat but stronger ab muscles with hold the fat in better. (I think it was Trust Me I'm a Doctor on BBC.)

That's a crock

Sit ups are an ineffective ab exercise and don't whittle your waist ...muscles don't hold in fat...fat sits on top

From the shape of my body, I would guess that I had more visceral fat than I had sitting on top. Theoretically a stronger core could have helped "hold this in". I've never had any luck making my core strong enough to hold in visceral fat though. I've had far more luck dieting it away.

• DaisyM01
    DaisyM01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    DaisyM01 wrote: »
    Many people have already said you can't spot reduce fat so I won't repeat. However I watched something recently that demonstrated that sit ups (or other ab exercises I suppose) can reduce your waist by a couple of inches - you won't lose fat but stronger ab muscles with hold the fat in better. (I think it was Trust Me I'm a Doctor on BBC.)

That's a crock

Sit ups are an ineffective ab exercise and don't whittle your waist ...muscles don't hold in fat...fat sits on top

FWIW I somewhat agree with you - I have never bothered with sit ups. I was just relaying the experiment in case anyone found it useful.

They only tested a handful of people and I don't know whether they isolated other factors, but the sit up group lost a couple of inches athough their fat % stayed the same. That muscles "hold the fat in" may have been my misleading wording, but I don't think it's inconceivable that stronger ab muscles could change your posture or make you hold yourself better
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Shana67 wrote: »
    This sounds mean, but I promise that I'm not a mean person and I don't mean it that way :) Buy pants that fit. If you have a muffin top, they are too tight. Buy larger jeans, wah-lah!! No muffin top :)

Not necessarily true, some people have a muffin top that's created by being squeezed in to too-tight trousers, but for some of us it's just how our body is shaped and it would take pants with an armpit high waist to smooth it out.
    My Muffin top has shrunk dramatically with weightloss but even now at 134lbs I've still got a ring donut on my hips.

Yes, I still had a muffin top even at 113 lbs. after an illness. But good luck with finding pants that actually hit at the waist and are not skin tight; I am still looking.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who sniggered at title?

No.

We've got quite a collection of saucy thread titles today.

Re: stomach muscles holding fat in, I agree it's better to lose it; however fat is not the only culprit. Your core muscles are responsible for holding that whole bag of soft squashy organs in place. If they're weakened then the belly is going to bulge out. This is what causes second and third pregnancies to show more. I don't think abs are the main culprit, I think the transverse is more important in that role, so sit ups will have limited effect, you need proper core exercises. The transverse is a notoriously tricky muscle to exercise, though we were taught how to flex it in prenatal classes.