How did you guys start your diet/lifestyle change?

Options
I have a friend who wants to lose about 15-20 lbs, but can't seem to be able to start her diet. I've told her how I began mine, but of course, different strokes blah blah.

I would like to know how you guys started yours, and show her. Did you guys just wake up one morning and started portion controlling? Did you look up certain diets and made food plan/lists? Maybe something will stick, if I give her options.

Replies

• Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I went for a walk.

Of course there were other things leading up to it (cloths not fitting, feeling cruddy, etc.), but on a pretty afternoon I went for a walk. I liked the way it made me feel, so the next day I did it again, and again...

It snowballed into making me feel better, so I wanted to eat better, which made me feel even better...
  • jenna808
    jenna808 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Decided I wanted to make a change, so started slowly. Started by cutting out pop and sugar, then fast food, started eating more fruits and vegetables, started tracking my calories using the mfp app, then came portion control, and more recently consistent exercise. With all the slow changes I made everything feels pretty much like habit now.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    The first thing I did when I started getting into fitness was cutting out pop and drinking only water. I lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks! Then I tried to make more meals at home and avoid eating fast food. Then I started logging food on mfp and then started working out. Slowly I am changing my habits and becomming healthier day by day. I still have a lot of work to do but I see every day as a new opportunity to make good choices. Setting goals and logging onto mfp daily helps so much. Tell your friend she can learn a lot by reading the forums on here.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Very slowly.

First to go was fast food and soda (which was rare anyway).
    Second thing I did was get religious about the gym, which shaped my current healthy eating habits.
    The more often you log and the more accurately you log, you start to see what is "worth" it and what is not.

I never cut out any specific food or food group. I just made room.
    I didn't have much to lose, so it's been SO slow, so patience is key.

The past week I have had more compliments than ever, so it's almost like 10 months of hard
    work manifested itself in a week, which I know not to be true.

JUST STICK WITH IT and be very patient!!
  • vgpeterson1984
    vgpeterson1984 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would like to see more of these responses.

Bump!
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    I predict you will get dozens of responses and they will be different, but the common thread will be "I decided...". I don't think YOU can put your friend on a diet. It will never work until SHE is motivated to change her eating.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Last July I just started eating a bit less and lost weight without doing anything too tough. I started logging my food in August and really saw progress after that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    tumblr_kxcwyshgmw1qa2txho1_500.jpg

Actually, if you do it right it's really not "painful" People have silly and just incredibly skewed ideas about what constitutes "healthy" and do all kinds of unnecessary nonsense that really has nothing to do with sustainable nutritional and fitness oriented lifestyle change.

Too many people think it has to be bland and boring and you have to drone away hours and hours on some stupid elliptical. Those people are doing it wrong.

Ultimately, she has to make the decision though...she eventually will or will not.
  • Slothronaut
    Slothronaut Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Got rid of soda and nutella (i miss the hazelnutty goodness) first. Then started browsing reddit and the rest of the internet for success stories to motivate me. Downloaded some tracking apps (they're a pain to use imo) but eventually found mfp. Love it here so I stick to this now. In terms of exercise, I found the Stronglifts 5x5 program (also on here). It's got a really nice progression so that you don't get hit with anything too difficult to early. It's got a membership but I did without it (might consider one in the future though). Also looking into keto now as well.
  • Chucksteakswife
    Chucksteakswife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    First thing I did was read about nutrition. Then after I had a bit of knowledge of what I should actually be eating, I began to plan my meals and swapped out the unhealthy for healthy. I focused on my nutrition first, lost 20 pounds and then began learning about and introducing fitness into my life.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I just randomly decided one day I wanted to start working out. End of my story!
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I logged my food, then had fun with graphs and averages. I noticed a relationship between my weight and my calorie intake. I read interesting, funny, sarcastic and informative ideas from various mfp'ers and I started to understand that I wasn't a special snowflake.

Next, (pivotal point)I trusted that I would lose on a calorie deficit.

I lost weight very slowly and felt proud when I reached my goal weight!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I hired a dietician to teach me how to eat. The very first thing I learned was keeping a food diary (mine was in excel initially) and measuring portions before eating. Having someone work one-on-one with me to answer questions and correct mistakes taught me a lot, and those lessons served me well after I stopped working with the dietician. I lost about 50 lbs with professional help, and an additional 40 lbs on my own, and have had sucess keeping it off and bringing down my body fat now. It has to become a hew habit, not a short term fix. As soon as you return to the habits that made you fat in the first place, the weight comes right back. I've done that several times, but I know better this time.
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    my husband joined a gym on our anniversary and said, "GO JOIN TOO!" so i did. RELUCTANTLY, i might add! but i went every weekday (forced myself) until it became habit - which didn't take long! now i LOVE It and can't imagine NOT going. i changed my diet, too, but started the exercise first. my advice: don't do too much at once - it's easier to make changes if you do baby steps. i think it took a good 6 months before i had changed my diet, exercise and living habits.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Seeing a friend, who is more overweight than me posting on FB about all she was doing to change her life by eating a balanced diet and working out inspired me. I decided while on vacation I was going to the gym (not a big box gym) when I got home; and I did.

As far as food goes its a personal decision ... and I decided (I knew) I was over eating because nothing was ever weighed or measured; so I got out measuring cups and spoons; purchased a food scale and each day was a new victory because I purposely change one thing in my life. Measure that food, what I drank, and I started at the gym 3xs a week. Yes its a struggle, and each day is a new day.

Its a mind set, a personal mind set. You can only encourage her by your actions.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who wants to lose about 15-20 lbs, but can't seem to be able to start her diet. I've told her how I began mine, but of course, different strokes blah blah.

I would like to know how you guys started yours, and show her. Did you guys just wake up one morning and started portion controlling? Did you look up certain diets and made food plan/lists? Maybe something will stick, if I give her options.

I was researching different plans and stumbled onto a forum that had a group of people who were doing alternate day intermittent fasting. I'd never heard of it, but reading all of their successes with it I decided to chose that as my plan. I'm here today, 50lbs lighter, and in maintenance :) I'm very fortunate that I chose a plan that was the perfect fit for me!
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I decided that I was tired of being out of shape and unhealthy. I decided to do something about it and not wait one more day or I would look back a year from now and wish I had done something.

I started to look at all labels and do research. My first step was simple calorie reduction and then I started changing WHAT I ate to be more whole foods and less processed stuff. Then I started to add in exercise.

My diet keeps evolving and my knowledge keeps growing. I keep making small changes and tweak my eating and exercise trying to make things work better and also so I don't get bored.

So far its working --
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I went to a party in Dec and had a picture taken of me and a group of friends. I was horrified at how fat I looked. I was always thin until I had kids. So I decided I could eat and drink whatever i wanted until the end of the year and then I'd start back on MFP. On Jan 2, on our ride home from our annual trip with our friends, I logged in. I've logged just about everything I've eaten since then.

Getting into working out took longer. I lost a lot of weight without doing any exercise. Then the weight loss slowed down so I joined a group here and started 30 Day Shred. I never would have done it without that group. I found I need to do quick workouts at home or I won't commit to doing it. I set small goals or I'll feel overwhelmed and stop.
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love candy and many other things, I am overweight and I knew it. So my candy ran out and I decided that is it. Cold turkey, I am a math person, so straight calorie counting with out the hype or fads or money (as advertised on TV) appealed to me. I am not looking at sodium or sugar or protein, that may come later but right now it is strictly calories. 1 month later I am down ~ 20 lbs. pretty good start but that is the point it is just a start.