Protein Powder

Options
Hello! I am a 5'8" woman and I'm trying to lose 25 pounds (about 10 pounds above my lifetime low, so a very reasonable, realistic goal weight). I work out pretty hard and consistently (Crossfit 4-5 times a week, jogging, hiking). My protein intake isn't near what the calculators say it should be. My question is - should I look for a quality whey protein powder? Or just try to eat more meat?? I do feel that eating enough protein is the key for me to build muscle, lose fat and stay satiated. Thx!!!

Replies

• bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I have an organic plant based protein shake every morning. The brand is Orgain. Created by a physician who had cancer and is now in complete remission. 24 grams of protein in each serving. I love all of the flavors. Delicious and healthy !
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    whey protein is a supplement - where ever your normal food doesn't reach, you top up with supplements.
    Whey protein won't accelerate results now will it insure them.
    Re-adjust your meal plan to spread more protein around the day and if still you can't get all your P in then look into supplements.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat more meat. Try tuna, cottage cheese, eggs, Greek or Icelandic yogurt (both high protein).

I use protein powder as a top up at the end of the day if my levels are a bit lower than I want but I really don't want to eat anymore.

Cheers, h.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a supplement. I need it to reach my protein goal for the day. If you can consume enough protein in your diet, there is no need.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Protein is not the be all end all. The media would like everyone to believe that because meat and dairy sales are through the roof. As long as us sheep believe what the industry is telling us the meat & dairy industry, pharma, grocers, distributers, lobbyists and government agencies can keep lining their pockets. But hey... that's a story for another day.

I use three different powders and switch them up so I don't get sick of it - Plant Fusion (plant based vegan clean protein), Vega Clean Protein (plant based vegan relatively new), and Vega Protein and Greens (My favorite right now). I use vanilla, they are quite delicious, easily digested, have BCAAs and work well as a supplement to your already healthy diet or as a meal replacement depending upon what you blend it with.

• srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals a day + snacks. My breakfast is usually mostly vegetarian (unless i can work up the motivation to make eggs at 7:30 am) and my snacks are for the most part all vegetarian (but, i'm trying to work a can of tuna in now and again). Protein shakes tastes pretty good and are actually pretty healthy (low sugar and high protein.) Probably better than going to get a frappucino or something at starbucks. Plus myfitnesspal says I should aim for 100g a day which seems high. 3 eggs in the morning is only 21g and then i would need to have 40g the next 2 meals to meet it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What calculations are you using--what is your current consumption and your goal? Sometimes people are told that they need to eat amounts that are way beyond what's really beneficial (it doesn't hurt to go higher, but isn't necessary). I think .8 g/lb of healthy or goal weight is a good rule of thumb that is more than enough for the goal of building muscle or maintaining muscle on a deficit. I aim for about 100 g based on that.

As for whey vs. meat (which includes fish, of course), it really depends on what you prefer. I used to like vegetables and eggs for breakfast and so had no real reason or desire to consume whey, but would add to the protein content of my breakfast with some lowfat cottage cheese or greek yogurt or smoked salmon. Now it's summer and I'm on a smoothie kick, so I keep the protein content of my breakfast the same by adding protein powder. What works for me is just making sure that I have a decent amount of protein at each meal -- lunch and dinner I never eat anything that whey protein would fit with, so I just make sure those meals have as much protein as I like (which is pretty easy for me).

My two big tricks for upping protein were including lowfat dairy (which I love anyway) and increasing meat/fish portions somewhat while reducing the portion of starchy carb or higher fat item -- nothing drastic. But if just adding in a protein shake works better for you and serves a purpose (tasty snack), I think that's a perfectly good option.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    When I'm trying to build muscle I, personally, like to eat 1 gram of protein for every lb I weigh. I find that I can't get there, and still enjoy my carbs and fats, with just food alone, so I supplement with a protein powder. I take one serving of whey (fast absorption) with almond milk after my morning workout and then one serving of egg protein (slow absorption) with almond milk, right before bed. Honestly, I could get there with just the morning serving of whey, though.