Stuck...am I not eating enough?

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It could be due to water healing your muscles due to the strength training. That being said, I would go to a Dr for a check up. Maybe there is something that just isn't quite right. It wouldn't hurt any. Tell the Dr what you do and what you eat and how long you've been stuck. You may find an answer. You may not.

Water retention from the strength training should even out after a few weeks and the OP hasn't lost in 10 months.

True, but if she keeps switching her exercise routine like she said, that could cause her to keep retaining water. I know - for me - that whenever I change some details regarding my programming, I see a spike in weight that drops down after a week or two.

That said, I'd bet that the answer is somewhere in the above chart.
  • coachsaralee
    coachsaralee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    First I recommend getting your metabolic numbers done so you can see where your body fat and muscle mass are. I am in the best shape of my life and weigh more than when I was in my 20s. It's not about the weight, it's about your size... right? And I also believe from what you posted that you aren't eating enough. I've coached many people who weren't losing and based on their food log and exercise had them eat more and they started losing again.
  • coachsaralee
    coachsaralee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    I think you should eat a little more- maybe 200-300 calories more. My body sounds similar to yours in which once I lost 50 lbs, everything came to a halt for 7/8 months. For some reason with my body, I can eat about 1500 calories or less for about 3 days, then I'll have to eat about 1700-1800 in order for me to lose weight. I have to do that every 3-4 days, then go back to 1500. It sounds weird, but it works for me. Try that for a week or two and see what happens. I know some people will disagree and argue with me, but by me doing that, I lost 3.5 lbs just last week. Everybody doesn't lose weight in the same manner and the trick is knowing what works for you. Whenever your weight starts to dip, go back over the last 3-4 days to see what you ate, what your workouts look like etc. to see what works. Also, try decreasing your cardio for a few days, and just walk at a normal pace. Switch things up a bit and see what happens.

Great advice.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm your height and now 10lbs lighter. Without going and looking I'd say and hour of steady state cardio would get me 500 calories, maybe a little more. So your 700 could well be inflated. Use some of that time for strength training and it will be less.

What is your current gross and net calorie intake?
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Also, I meant to say - if you have been dieting for a while, it probably wouldn't hurt to take a week off and eat a little above maintenance calories. Just for 1 week though!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    Are you using TDEE method or mfp method to get to 2000? Are you eating 1500 net or gross?

700 is a high burn, not realistic in my opinion unless you are exercising for 2 hours. If you are eating back those calories, you are over eating.

The other obvious answer is that you have some logging errors you don't realize and are eating more than you think you are. Do you eat out often? Weigh and measure every food that goes in your mouth and into recipes?

700 doesn't have to be unrealistic, I usually get around 600-ish from an hour of intense cardio, according to my heart rate monitor. But this will be dependent on the person's gender/height/weight/age/etc, and the actual amount of effort and level of intensity of the cardio.

However, I am concerned about this estimate based on the fact that it seems like most of the OP's workout seems to consist of strength training. You burn a lot fewer calories doing strength training, and heart rate monitors do not give you an accurate burn for that type of exercise.

So maybe just consider lowering the estimated calories burned you input, or eating just a portion of those calories back.

based on the fact that OP is not losing, I think it is safe to assume that her burns are off. If she thinks she is burning 700 and is only burning half of that and works out three times a week that means she is consuming an extra 1000 calories a week ...
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Some of the Polar HRM's have a strength training mode. I think it is considered more accurate, but the number of calories burned during strength training is pretty fuzzy in general due to recovery calories. I usually don't count strength training calories unless I am trying to gain.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's very unlikely that you're burning 700 calories from your workouts. I burn that with 1.5 hour of pretty intense cardio, for example (basically uphill walking - I only burn 450 calories on the bike in that time)... and strength training really doesn't burn as many calories.

I'm 5'5" as well and I lost the weight eating 1600-1700 but I was weighing everything, using accurate entries (that might be one of your issues too), working out one hour a day (mostly cardio) while being fairly active as well (I'm a SAHM, I rarely sit more than one hour at a time).

Bottom line, decrease your calories by 100 or 200 or be more accurate with your logging.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    It's extremely unlikely that you're burning 700 calories from Zumba unless you're doing it for 2 hours straight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    sheenabyrd wrote: »
    I do measure/weigh my food and I wear a polar HR monitor to track each workout, so I can get an accurate calorie burn. I use that number when calculating my food. I've mixed up my workouts, taken time off, upped my calorie intake by 10% and then reduced, and switched up my workouts but nothing seems to work. I'm trying to be patient but it's frustrating. I keep thinking there's got to be something wrong with what I'm doing because I should be seeing results.

If your polar is as "accurate" as my fitbit then you are most certainly overestimating your burn and underestimating your calories in. I eat a max of 50% of my fitbit calories back, if i calculated my food off of what my fitbit says my TDEE is, i would gain weight.

• beetle_stomper
    beetle_stomper Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    How much are you still looking to lose? If it's already been said, I missed it; sorry. I ask because, as a female, you're going to have a little bit of belly fat unless you're severely dehydrated. Women just store more fat than men. I'm not talking rolls or anything, I know plenty of healthy girls with very flat stomachs, but I also have a vendetta against the unrealistic body images a lot of the fitness community propagates. Unless you're training for a bodybuilding competition or similar, it's rare to see a 6-pack on women. It's also very unhealthy. That little bit of padding keeps the core systems running at an optimal rate. When I was at a very low BF level, I lost circulation constantly, my hair fell out in clumps, I passed out (twice), my skin cracked and bled, I basically felt like death 24/7.

And we can't forget, a pound of muscle looks a hell of a lot smaller than a pound of fat. If you're doing those hardcore regimes regularly, you've got a lot of heavy muscle on you. So it's not about weight there, it's about tone and inches.

Lastly, your body WILL adapt to a lower calorie intake and become more efficient at using them. Basically, you burn fewer even doing your usual routine. A HRM can't really account for that, because all it does is count the BPMs.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    How much are you still looking to lose? If it's already been said, I missed it; sorry. I ask because, as a female, you're going to have a little bit of belly fat unless you're severely dehydrated. Women just store more fat than men. I'm not talking rolls or anything, I know plenty of healthy girls with very flat stomachs, but I also have a vendetta against the unrealistic body images a lot of the fitness community propagates. Unless you're training for a bodybuilding competition or similar, it's rare to see a 6-pack on women. It's also very unhealthy. That little bit of padding keeps the core systems running at an optimal rate. When I was at a very low BF level, I lost circulation constantly, my hair fell out in clumps, I passed out (twice), my skin cracked and bled, I basically felt like death 24/7.

And we can't forget, a pound of muscle looks a hell of a lot smaller than a pound of fat. If you're doing those hardcore regimes regularly, you've got a lot of heavy muscle on you. So it's not about weight there, it's about tone and inches.

Lastly, your body WILL adapt to a lower calorie intake and become more efficient at using them. Basically, you burn fewer even doing your usual routine. A HRM can't really account for that, because all it does is count the BPMs.

she's 5'5" and 181lbs - I didn't see anywhere she talked about needing a 6 pack. She still has weight to lose to be in a healthy range.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    As others have said, a plateau never means eat more.
    You basically have been eating maintenance calories and obviously more than you think you are.
    Tighten up the logging, use a food scale, don't eat back too many exercise calories and you'll soon be on a losing streak once more.