Anyone Ever Been To New York City?

Options
LeGaCyGiAnT91
LeGaCyGiAnT91 Posts: 405 Member
Can anyone who has been to the area provide as much info as possible. Best hotels to stay at, what I should see/ shouldn't and why you feel that I should/ should not. How much is parking? I am guessing driving your own vehicle is out of the question for the most part and taking a subway is the best option? I plan on taking a trip in the next few weeks and will only have the weekend to visit. Thanks!

Replies

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I live 15 minutes away from Manhattan and I hardly ever go there. But I was there about 3 weeks ago 'playing tourist'. It's expensive...like ridiculously expensive. You'd be better off staying in Jersey and taking the ferry over to NYC. Also, subways are really dangerous and there's been a series of slashing's going on. Just walk or use Uber to get around.

Places to see? Rockefeller Center is cool, and Central Park is gorgeous. Times Square is...just...jampacked with tourists and it's over-crowded but I guess for an out-of-towner it would be on the "to do" list. When I was there everyone was taking pics outside of the Trump Tower so I guess that's a new tourist spot as well.

Places to eat? There are restaurants all over the place. Just walk around and see what looks good.

Also, pretend to be fancy and take a peak in the Plaza Hotel...it's beautiful!!
  • LeGaCyGiAnT91
    Options
    Geez, Slashings?! This place sounds more dangerous than it does fun :D I have been on a travelling kick, and just want to visit as much as I can. It does sound like a very expensive place though.
  • LeGaCyGiAnT91
    Options
    Do you guys recommend a hotel to stay at that's fairly reasonable? I will be driving my own car, but it sounds like a nightmare in the city, so sounds like walking/uber is the way to go.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I'm going to watch this thread, thanks for posting it @LeGaCyGiAnT91

I invited myself on a trip with an aunt in December.
    Its been too many years since I was in NYC
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Yelp it for dining ops
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    Do you guys recommend a hotel to stay at that's fairly reasonable? I will be driving my own car, but it sounds like a nightmare in the city, so sounds like walking/uber is the way to go.

there aren't any lololol if I were you, I'd stay over in Jersey City by Liberty State Park and just ferry over...

• LeGaCyGiAnT91
    Options
    Man, this place sounds like a cluster haha. Yes, I know, Cheap hotels in NYC doesn't go together. Sounds like $250 a night is the norm?
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Just went in May, stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at Times square (actually about 8 blocks north of Times Square). We were there for two nights and saw it all, walked about 23 miles. Here was our list of things we saw and did

Friday afternoon/night, JFK airport, Jamaica Train station Penn Station, walked to the hotel, dinner at Carnegie Deli, walked to Central Park, walked to Times Square and on route we was Radio City music hall and Rockefeller plaza, walked to see the Flatiron building, walked to Union Square, then to Washington square, then to little Italy for gelato. taxi back to the Times Square for the night time chaos, and walked back to the hotel.

Saturday, taxi to Staten Island ferry for a round trip (free) for a view of the statue of Liberty. Walked through Wall street, had some amazing coffee and breakfast, walked the Brooklyn Bridge, walked to the World trade center memorial, took a ride up to the top of One World tower. Walked to Chinatown, lunch somewhere enroute before taking the subway to walk the Highline. Back to the hotel, dinner at Grand Central station (check out the whispering chamber), walked back up near Central park for dessert at Serendipity.

Sunday, walked to get bagels for breakfast down near Times square at the Metro diner, taxi to the upper west side of Central Park, walked through the park, back to the hotel for checkout, took the trains back to JFK.

It was an amazing trip, and exhausting. My friend who set up the tour calls it "the forced march". I would do it again!
  • LeGaCyGiAnT91
    Options
    klkarlen wrote: »
    Just went in May, stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at Times square (actually about 8 blocks north of Times Square). We were there for two nights and saw it all, walked about 23 miles. Here was our list of things we saw and did

Friday afternoon/night, JFK airport, Jamaica Train station Penn Station, walked to the hotel, dinner at Carnegie Deli, walked to Central Park, walked to Times Square and on route we was Radio City music hall and Rockefeller plaza, walked to see the Flatiron building, walked to Union Square, then to Washington square, then to little Italy for gelato. taxi back to the Times Square for the night time chaos, and walked back to the hotel.

Saturday, taxi to Staten Island ferry for a round trip (free) for a view of the statue of Liberty. Walked through Wall street, had some amazing coffee and breakfast, walked the Brooklyn Bridge, walked to the World trade center memorial, took a ride up to the top of One World tower. Walked to Chinatown, lunch somewhere enroute before taking the subway to walk the Highline. Back to the hotel, dinner at Grand Central station (check out the whispering chamber), walked back up near Central park for dessert at Serendipity.

Sunday, walked to get bagels for breakfast down near Times square at the Metro diner, taxi to the upper west side of Central Park, walked through the park, back to the hotel for checkout, took the trains back to JFK.

It was an amazing trip, and exhausting. My friend who set up the tour calls it "the forced march". I would do it again!

How much $$ did the trip cost you lol. Your weekend trip sounds similar to how ours will be.

• AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

I was only in NYC for 24 hours and walked close to 15 miles. My poor feet were killing me!!!
  • LeGaCyGiAnT91
    Options

I was only in NYC for 24 hours and walked close to 15 miles. My poor feet were killing me!!!

Sounds like a good workout to me.

• vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Instead of hotels perhaps think of Air bnb or vrbo (I've used this site several times). Love NY - I was only there on a layover but we stayed up all night and toured Time Square/took the subway (no issues - but be careful if you do!)

https://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/new-york/new-york-city/manhattan?sleeps=2-plus&from-date=2016-08-17&to-date=2016-08-24&minprice=125&maxprice=250
  • klkarlen
    edited August 2016
    Options

How much $$ did the trip cost you lol. Your weekend trip sounds similar to how ours will be.

I'll be honest, I didn't keep track, and my friend picked up the meal tabs. Rough estimate would be 50.00 - 100.00 per person per day, mostly because we ate expensive dinners. The hotel was at a high rate of about 250.00 per night per room, it is usually lower, we just picked a peak weekend to be in the city. The tickets to the top of One World were expensive, but on par with either the Empire state building or Top of the Rock.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

I've stayed at Gotham in Midtown which is small and quiet and has an amazing location but the view itself really sucks and they're doing construction across the street right now but it wasn't terribly priced and I had a good time. Usually I just go in for the day though so I'm not much help there.

There are parking garages but I think they're something ridiculous like $15/hr. Street parking is near impossible and many many streets are oneway so it's difficult to get to where you want if you don't already know where you're going.

$15/hr ???!!!! WTF!!! I thought Chicago parking is bad. YIKES!

• bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It is totally possible to stay in NJ across the river and take the ferry over. I did that one year and stayed in Hoboken at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor hotel. It was cheaper and more quiet. The ferry runs all day and night and is literally about a two minute boat ride to get into the city, and the Sheraton I stayed at was right in front of the ferry dock. Super convenient. Also, if you do that there is an amazing (but pricey) fancy restaurant called the chart house right by the hotel. It is on a dock out on the river...so worth every penny!

If you do stay in NYC, Parking is the most ridiculous part of being in New York City. I would definitely recommend leaving your car at the hotel and taking the subway/uber/taxi or walking when you can. There is so much to see, and everything you would want is accessible via that type of transportation. When I go to Manhattan, I stay at the Paramount hotel. It is less than a block away from times square. It is extremely modern, clean, and beautiful. I believe it is on 46th st. For a hotel in NYC, the prices arent horrible, and the fee to park your car and leave it there is reasonable. I love visiting times square. Yes, it is packed with Tourists, BUT you must go if you've never been there. The atmosphere alone is beautiful. It is so "alive" and the M&M store is awesome! lol. I would definitely see Rockefeller center and central park also.

If you have time, you can go see the 9/11 memorial. It is really nice. I also usually take a trip to China Town/Little Italy - I go via subway. As long as its not 2am, the subway stations are busy and totally safe.

As far as food goes, I'd say the Carnegie Deli is a classic. Gotta check it out. There are also TONS of great bakeries, where I'd highly recommend an Italian Neapolitan cake. Also, I love hotdogs from the Sabrette vendors...so good! haha

Have fun! NYC is very pricey, but it's worth it for the experience.
  • klkarlen
    Options
    The hotel I stayed at is down to 134 per night. Website says there is paid parking available, but I have no clue where that would be since we walked. The restaurant is closed for renovations, so that might be why the rates are down.