Experimenting

Options

Replies

• ftsolk
    ftsolk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Right now, I'm in a "let's see what happens" stage of my experiment. I used to drink a lot more milk when I was younger than I do now, and I also used to be a LOT slimmer. It may be related; it might not be.

Somewhere around the time I gained my weight, I stopped having milk with dinner at my grandparent's house (we moved out of state). For a few years, I switched to non-dairy milk, and then, I gradually transitioned from soy and almond milks to non-organic, pasteurized whole milk which I drake sporadically- mainly if I had something like pancakes or cookies. A few months back, I tried some raw milk at a friend's house (I had always been intrigued, and my friend has health issues where she can only drink raw milk from specific cows). I absolutely LOVED it.

So, I decided to see what would happen if I tried drinking more. I'm finding that even with the calories, I'm eating a LOT less food than I was before, so it's balancing itself out... and it will continue to do so when I start incorporating more changes (simply replacing food with fruits and veggies NEVER worked for me (it always left me hungry), but since the milk is so satiating, I'm considering cutting down my portions of more calorie dense foods and replacing them with produce.

In regards to the divided plates, I suppose I should expand on that. I have dinner at church on Wednesday nights during the summer. Now, I'm not incredibly picky about my food, but there are certain foods I don't really like touching. For example, if I have mashed potatoes with gray, I really don't want the gravy to touch my cranberry sauce. When I serve myself or cook at home, I arrange my plate in a way to keep foods touching only if I want them t touch. (I'm also a fan of having "islands" of food... not because I can't eat the food if they touch- it's just a personal preference). However, at church, they just slop food on the plate- often not paying attention to the fact that they're putting the baked ziti on top of a dinner roll. So, to make things easy, I am bringing a little divided plate. I'll get 2 items and a side salad on each trip. (I used to eat at least 2 full plates of food each trip- no salads; yesterday, I still ate 2 plates, but the plates were much smaller).

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ftsolk wrote: »
    Right now, I'm in a "let's see what happens" stage of my experiment. I used to drink a lot more milk when I was younger than I do now, and I also used to be a LOT slimmer. It may be related; it might not be.

Somewhere around the time I gained my weight, I stopped having milk with dinner at my grandparent's house (we moved out of state). For a few years, I switched to non-dairy milk, and then, I gradually transitioned from soy and almond milks to non-organic, pasteurized whole milk which I drake sporadically- mainly if I had something like pancakes or cookies. A few months back, I tried some raw milk at a friend's house (I had always been intrigued, and my friend has health issues where she can only drink raw milk from specific cows). I absolutely LOVED it.

So, I decided to see what would happen if I tried drinking more. I'm finding that even with the calories, I'm eating a LOT less food than I was before, so it's balancing itself out... and it will continue to do so when I start incorporating more changes (simply replacing food with fruits and veggies NEVER worked for me (it always left me hungry), but since the milk is so satiating, I'm considering cutting down my portions of more calorie dense foods and replacing them with produce.

So, it sounds like you feel that drinking milk will keep you satiated, hence you will decrease your calorie intake and hopefully be in a deficit?
    In regards to the divided plates, I suppose I should expand on that. I have dinner at church on Wednesday nights during the summer. Now, I'm not incredibly picky about my food, but there are certain foods I don't really like touching. For example, if I have mashed potatoes with gray, I really don't want the gravy to touch my cranberry sauce. When I serve myself or cook at home, I arrange my plate in a way to keep foods touching only if I want them t touch. (I'm also a fan of having "islands" of food... not because I can't eat the food if they touch- it's just a personal preference). However, at church, they just slop food on the plate- often not paying attention to the fact that they're putting the baked ziti on top of a dinner roll. So, to make things easy, I am bringing a little divided plate. I'll get 2 items and a side salad on each trip. (I used to eat at least 2 full plates of food each trip- no salads; yesterday, I still ate 2 plates, but the plates were much smaller).

I don't like my food on the plate touching either, unless it's supposed to touch. The latter would be salad or a food that has some kind of sauce and/or other ingredients.

I like the idea of smaller plates.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

drinking that high volume of milk to replace food does not sound to me like it is going to be a long term, sustainable, approach....

• ftsolk
    Options
    I'm basically just having a glass of milk with each meal. If I decide to try some form of IF again (16:8/14:10), I'll probably only drink it twice a day on those days where I only eat 2 meals). I hardly think pouring myself a glass of milk when I prepare dinner is completely impractical. I also made sure to get thermoses for meals out. Do I bring my thermos into the restaurant? Heck no. I will, however, drink my milk in the car on the way there. How is that any different than the advice to eat an apple or other snack before eating out?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm basically just having a glass of milk with each meal. If I decide to try some form of IF again (16:8/14:10), I'll probably only drink it twice a day on those days where I only eat 2 meals). I hardly think pouring myself a glass of milk when I prepare dinner is completely impractical. I also made sure to get thermoses for meals out. Do I bring my thermos into the restaurant? Heck no. I will, however, drink my milk in the car on the way there. How is that any different than the advice to eat an apple or other snack before eating out?

not sure if you are responding to me or not...but my point is that do you think that substituting milk is a long term solution that will allow you to keep the weight off for one, two, five, etc years?

instead of trying "experiments" why not just learn sustainable habits now that will benefit you for the long-term?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

drinking that high volume of milk to replace food does not sound to me like it is going to be a long term, sustainable, approach....

I'm no longer a milk drinker but a glass of milk per meal doesn't sound like 'high volume' to me. She bought 2 gallons, but is only drinking three 10 ounces servings per day. It's satiating her, and she's not eating other, higher calorie food.

@ftsolk - good luck and keep us posted!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm no longer a milk drinker but a glass of milk per meal doesn't sound like 'high volume' to me. She bought 2 gallons, but is only drinking three 10 ounces servings per day. It's satiating her, and she's not eating other, higher calorie food.

my point is that subbing milk for real foods is not a long term approach that is going to result in sustained weight loss...and 36 ounces a day of milk is 700 calories a day...
  • SLLRunner
    Options

my point is that subbing milk for real foods is not a long term approach that is going to result in sustained weight loss...and 36 ounces a day of milk is 700 calories a day...

This is what I am thinking as well. It seems to me drinking that much milk a day is not moderation, even if it were nonfat milk.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

She said she fills a 12 oz thermos and it's 10-11 oz. Using a measure of 32 oz and 4% fat (raw whole milk could be higher), I get 600 calories, 48 g of sugar, and 20 g of sat fat. Sure, if you cut back on other things you can fit that in, but it's that's a LOT of calories, etc. for just milk (or would be at my current calorie level of 1650 for weight loss), and depending on overall calories could be nutritionally questionable.

All up to the OP, her overall diet, and her preferences, though.

I'd be curious whether she IS cutting back -- I see her saying that she COULD cut back on an already pretty high cal breakfast (and specifically cutting back on foods that provide fiber and healthy fats, although again she may get plenty of that in her overall diet, which she knows and I don't), not that she has.

Years ago I decided to start the day with a cup of skim milk, and I found that that plus a light breakfast kept me full, so I'm not anti milk at all. (I don't do that now since I found breakfasts that are for me more pleasurable uses of calories.)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm a little confused too?

But in general, a typical strategy for eating less calories is to fill up on lower cal items that replace calorie dense stuff. Like increase the amount of veggies in your dinner while decreasing the amount of heavier stuff.

Having said that, drinking 10 oz of whole milk a day would make me nauseous. And I don't understand why you would replace the avocado part of your breakfast with milk? Nothing wrong with avocado.

And it sounds like they are drinking 30oz per day... That's a lot of milk.

Child's play.
  • ftsolk
    Options
    I used to drink only water and unsweetened tea. No milk. No juice. No sodas. I drank NOTHING that hand calories- not even smoothies.

What am I cutting back on?

Well, I've only eaten 3 meals about 4 times this past week. On several occasions, I replaced lunch with something like a cheese stick, an apple, and milk... or I had milk instead of eating dinner. Instead of eating two large (10 inch diameter) plates overflowing with food on Wednesday, my dinner consisted of two small (like 6 inch diameter) plates of food... so, what would've been a cup or more of pasta salad was only about 3/4 of a cup. Instead of a large pile of steak, I had two small strips. The amount of food I ate was less than HALF what I would normally eat.

Do I think drinking milk is a long term solution? I HAVE NO FRICKIN IDEA!!!! How am I supposed to know if I can maintain it if I haven't tried it yet? Maybe it will work. Maybe it won't. That's why I'm calling this an "EXPERIMENT!"

I've also tried:

1. Weight Watchers (Momentum, PointsPlus, and SmartPoints)
    2. Paleo
    3. South Beach
    4. Sparkpeople
    5. Following MFP recommendations
    6. TDEE-20%
    7. Intermittent Fasting (skipping breakfast)
    8. Green smoothies
    9. Writing down what I eat in a notebook (no calorie counting)
    10. Eating only whole, unprocessed foods.

Guess what.

NONE of those worked for me. NONE. I was unable to maintain any of them for more than a few months.

So, I'm trying to see if this is a sustainable habit because none of the "practical" solutions like counting calories has been sustainable for me.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I used to drink only water and unsweetened tea. No milk. No juice. No sodas. I drank NOTHING that hand calories- not even smoothies.

Well, I've only eaten 3 meals about 4 times this past week. On several occasions, I replaced lunch with something like a cheese stick, an apple, and milk... or I had milk instead of eating dinner. Instead of eating two large (10 inch diameter) plates overflowing with food on Wednesday, my dinner consisted of two small (like 6 inch diameter) plates of food... so, what would've been a cup or more of pasta salad was only about 3/4 of a cup. Instead of a large pile of steak, I had two small strips. The amount of food I ate was less than HALF what I would normally eat.

Do I think drinking milk is a long term solution? I HAVE NO FRICKIN IDEA!!!! How am I supposed to know if I can maintain it if I haven't tried it yet? Maybe it will work. Maybe it won't. That's why I'm calling this an "EXPERIMENT!"

I've also tried:

2. Paleo
    3. South Beach
    4. Sparkpeople
    6. TDEE-20%
    8. Green smoothies

Guess what.

NONE of those worked for me. NONE. I was unable to maintain any of them for more than a few months.

So, I'm trying to see if this is a sustainable habit because none of the "practical" solutions like counting calories has been sustainable for me.

You al ways say these things didn't work but in not sure if you ever said why. What does that mean they didn't work? You couldn't stick with them? Why? Too hungry? Bored? Didn't see results?
  • ndj1979
    Options

I've also tried:

2. Paleo
    3. South Beach
    4. Sparkpeople
    6. TDEE-20%
    8. Green smoothies

Guess what.

if those programs did not work then it is no the programs fault. If you set MFP to one pound per week loss, log all your food, get a food scale and weigh all solids, restrict no foods, and get some form of exercise you will lose weight and keep it off.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Seems fad driven and doesn't look like a potential lifelong habit from here

640 calories on milk daily ...would be difficult to hit nutritional targets with remaining calorie allowance ...weight loss and maintenance is about adherence

But Good luck

Stranger things have happened

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm a little confused too?

But in general, a typical strategy for eating less calories is to fill up on lower cal items that replace calorie dense stuff. Like increase the amount of veggies in your dinner while decreasing the amount of heavier stuff.

Having said that, drinking 10 oz of whole milk a day would make me nauseous. And I don't understand why you would replace the avocado part of your breakfast with milk? Nothing wrong with avocado.

And it sounds like they are drinking 30oz per day... That's a lot of milk.

Child's play.

Just imagine all the Oreos @Carlos_421
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

I've also tried:

2. Paleo
    3. South Beach
    4. Sparkpeople
    6. TDEE-20%
    8. Green smoothies

Guess what.

I've tried WW, JC, MFP/TDEE-20%, and even had green smoothies for a time (fitting it into my calorie goal MFP gave me). They stopped working, when I stopped working. As long as I followed the program, the program worked. I decided to stop paying for a program to help me lose weight and switch to MFP/TDEE-%. There are some really crappy programs out there, but there are good ones too. MFP is a good program, and it's free!

Have you ever tried to combine programs? Like combine your milk experiment with MFP, just for a time to see how many calories your actually ingesting to see if you're on the right track.

I don't think anyone is deterring you from finding something that will work for you, they're just trying to understand why.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Maybe it would help us understand if you explained more about what your hoping to accomplish by adding in extra servings of milk?

Because the plates are divided so the food doesn't touch at the potlucks. Avocado toast.

I almost spit out my coffee.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I've also tried:

2. Paleo
    3. South Beach
    4. Sparkpeople
    6. TDEE-20%
    8. Green smoothies

Guess what.

The only way to get a handle on weight issues is to figure out your calorie balance. I get the impression you don't know how much you are eating, and if that's true replacing food with milk won't do much good.

Have you tried portion control via weighing food and logging everything you eat and drink? I don't mean a week, or a month, or somewhere inbetween I mean long term, such as several months?