Lentil recipes needed (NOT soup/ no meat)

Options

Replies

• knh1942
    knh1942 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    About the gas: ginger and turmeric together control the gas. About a teaspoon of each. Another solution: fennel seeds, ground or whole. Fennel controls appetite too. Good for weight maintenance!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Tabouli using lentils.

2 cups Lentils
    2 Tomato deseeded and diced
    Cucumber deseeded and diced
    Bunch Mint
    Bunch Parsley
    Squeeze whole Lemon
    Tbsp Garlic
    Tbsp Olive oil
    Salt
    Pepper

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    For a snack just toast cooked lentils in a dry pan on low/med heat, (I happily use tinned after draining off liquid), until they go crispy and add whatever flavourings you like - think crisp flavourings such as salt 'n' vinegar, black pepper or a bit of chilli.

I made these today with chilli flakes and poured over a salad I had made - easy way to add flavour, texture and protein.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas above. I also like them sprouted.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Red Lentil Hummus, from martha stewart
    yields 1 1/4 cups, taks about 10 minutes to make

1 cup cooked red lentils
    1 clove chopped garlic
    1 tablespoon tahini
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Pulse everything together in a food processor until smooth. Season with
    Salt and peppr to taste.
    Additional flavoring ... sprinkle on some Za'atar spice blend.

Serve with radishes, or whatever you like with hummus.

That sounds lovely, I'll have to try it
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Cooked Lentils, cooled
    Chopped finely;
    Red pepper
    Onion
    Cilantro
    Feta
    (Italian or vinegarette dressing)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Lentil Salad is SO much better than it should be:

Mix:
    Brown lentils, cooked al dente
    Chopped carrot
    Chopped sweet onion
    Chopped fresh jalapeno leave the seeds in.

Dress with mixed:
    Olive oil
    Lemon Juice (bottled is fine)
    Brown Mustard
    Salt
    Pepper, lots of pepper.

That's all. Really. It is like magic when it comes together. Have fed this to kids, old people, men, carnivores, everyone loves it so much, even the dogs like it, even my cat did. I don't measure anything. It's nice served with a good bread and sharp sharp cheddar cheese.

The non-vegetarian version is much the same but parsley and bacon I think? I have never tried it like that.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    My only recipe is both a soup and meatless lol. I have been thinking of adding chicken to it.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    knh1942 wrote: »
    About the gas: ginger and turmeric together control the gas. About a teaspoon of each. Another solution: fennel seeds, ground or whole. Fennel controls appetite too. Good for weight maintenance!

This is why an Indian dahl or congee are good since most recipes include both ginger and turmeric.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Cook's Illustrated Ultimate Veggie Burger

¾ cup dried brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
    2½ teaspoons table salt
    ¾ cup bulgur
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 medium onions, chopped fine (2 cups)
    1 rib celery (large), chopped fine (about ½ cup)
    1 small leek, white and light green parts only, chopped fine (about ½ cup)
    2 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press (2 teaspoons)
    1 pound cremini mushrooms (or white), cleaned and sliced about ¼ inch thick (about 6 ½ cups)
    1 cup raw unsalted cashew
    ⅓ cup mayonnaise
    2c ups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
    Ground black pepper
    12 burger buns for serving

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS

Because we found that veggie burger recipes made with soy-based products produced bland, sour, or gummy patties, we turned to lentils and bulgur, which, when combined, fully resolved the texture problem. To replace the meatlike taste in our veggie burger recipe, we turned to food rich in umami—specifically, cremini mushrooms and cashews.

MAKES TWELVE 4-INCH BURGERS

Canned lentils can be used, though some flavor will be sacrificed. Use a 15-ounce can, drain the lentils in a mesh strainer, and thoroughly rinse under cold running water before spreading them on paper towels and drying them, as directed in step 1 below. If you cannot find panko, use 1 cup of plain bread crumbs. For tips on freezing uncooked patties, see below.

1. Bring 3 cups water, lentils, and 1 teaspoon salt to boil in medium saucepan over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are just beginning to fall apart, about 25 minutes. Drain in fine-mesh strainer. Line baking sheet with triple layer paper towels and spread drained lentils over. Gently pat lentils dry with additional paper towels; cool lentils to room temperature.

2. While lentils simmer, bring 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boil in small saucepan. Stir bulgur wheat into boiling water and cover immediately; let stand off heat until water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain in fine-mesh strainer; use rubber spatula to press out excess moisture. Transfer bulgur to medium bowl and set aside.

3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions, celery, leek, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Spread vegetable mixture on second baking sheet to cool; set aside. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to now-empty skillet; heat over high heat until shimmering. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Spread mushrooms on baking sheet with vegetable mixture; cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.

4. Process cashews in food processor until finely chopped, about fifteen 1-second pulses (do not wash food processor blade or bowl); stir into bowl with bulgur along with cooled lentils, vegetable-mushroom mixture, and mayonnaise. Transfer half of mixture to now-empty food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped, fifteen to twenty 1-second pulses; mixture should be cohesive but roughly textured. Transfer processed mixture to large bowl; repeat with remaining unprocessed mixture and combine with first batch. Stir in panko, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Line baking sheet with paper towels. Divide mixture into 12 portions, about 1/2 cup each, shaping each into tightly packed patty, 4 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick; set patties on baking sheet; paper towels will absorb excess moisture. (Patties can be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated up to 3 days.)

TO COOK ON THE GRILL: Build medium-hot charcoal fire or preheat gas grill on high. Using tongs, wipe grate with wad of paper towels dipped lightly in vegetable oil. Grill burgers, without moving them, until well browned, about 5 minutes; flip burgers and continue cooking until well browned on second side, about 5 minutes. Serve.

TO COOK ON THE STOVETOP: Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering; cook burgers, 4 at a time, until well browned, about 4 minutes per side, lowering heat to medium if browning too quickly. Repeat with additional oil and burgers. Serve. (Cooked burgers can be kept warm in 250-degree oven for up to 30 minutes.)

TO FREEZE: With freezing and defrosting, the patties increase in moisture content; it is therefore necessary to add more bread crumbs before freezing. For each burger to be frozen, add 1 teaspoon panko or 1/2 teaspoon plain bread crumbs to the mixture before shaping. Thaw frozen patties overnight in the refrigerator on a triple layer of paper towels covered loosely with plastic wrap. Before cooking, pat the patties dry with paper towels and reshape to make sure they are tightly packed and cohesive.

Secrets to Better Veggie Burgers
    1. Spread lentils between layers of paper towels and blot dry.
    2. Once softened, drain bulgur in sieve and press with spatula.
    3. Sauté mushrooms and vegetables until caramelized and dry.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Cook's Illustrated Lentil Salad with Olives, Mint, and Feta

1 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
    Salt and pepper
    6 cups water
    2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    5 garlic cloves, lightly crushed and peeled
    1 bay leaf
    5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    ½ cup coarsely chopped pitted kalamata olives
    ½ cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
    1 large shallot, minced
    1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled (¼ cup)

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS

The most important step in making a lentil salad is perfecting the cooking of the lentils so they maintain their shape and firm-tender bite. There turns out to be two key steps. The first is to brine the lentils in warm salt water. With brining, the lentil’s skin softens, which leads to fewer blowouts. The second step is to cook the lentils in the oven, which heats them gently and uniformly. Once we had perfectly cooked lentils, all we had left to do was to pair the earthy beans with a tart vinaigrette and boldly flavored mix-ins.

SERVES 4 TO 6

French green lentils, or Lentilles du Puy, are our preferred choice for this recipe, but it works with any type of lentil except red or yellow. Brining helps keep the lentils intact, but if you don't have time, they'll still taste good. The salad can be served warm or at room temperature.

1. Place lentils and 1 teaspoon salt in bowl. Cover with 4 cups warm water (about 110 degrees) and soak for 1 hour. Drain well. (Drained lentils can be refrigerated for up to 2 days before cooking.)

2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Place drained lentils, 2 cups water, broth, garlic, bay leaf, and ½ teaspoon salt in medium saucepan. Cover and bake until lentils are tender but remain intact, 40 to 60 minutes. Mean-while, whisk oil and vinegar together in large bowl.

3. Drain lentils well; remove and discard garlic and bay leaf. Add drained lentils, olives, mint, and shallot to dressing and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to serving dish, sprinkle with feta, and serve.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    This is the most awesome thread ever!! Here's my go-to red lentil soup. Yes it's a soup - but let's call it a curry or dal. All the ingredients can be modified, lots of optional add ins too.

Saute a chopped medium onion, some grated ginger (1-2T), a hot pepper or two minced in a mixture of olive oil and butter. Once nice and soft, add a clove or 2 of minced garlic, 1-2 Tbl of tomato paste (optional), and either a spice blend like Bereber (Ethiopian), or a mixture of red curry paste, fenugreek seeds (optional), garam masala, cumin etc. Cook that up for a few minutes. You can also small dice a sweet potato or carrot or add already cooked potato later.

Either cook lentils (rinse first) in water separately , or add to onion mixture, cover with water and simmer about 30 minutes. Add in a half can or more of diced tomatoes & 1/2 can- full can of coconut milk. Chick peas would work as an add in or some sauteed greens would be lovely. top with chopped cilantro if you have it.

So much better the 2nd day! Freezes well too! Great plain or over rice.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    My only recipe is both a soup and meatless lol. I have been thinking of adding chicken to it.

@verykatie this one is so good!
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/lentil-and-chicken-soup-3-pts/
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    hands down my FAVORITE lentil recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DjZkfY21GE

I know it says "soup", but really its a thick hearty stew with pasta. I add carrots, some cumin and tony chacherre's to this recipe to spice it up a little bit more how i like things. I add a lil dab of butter and some parmesan on top when it's ready to serve.
  • DrowningInAbyss
    DrowningInAbyss Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try making stirfrys, or add to quinoa/rice and season to your preference
  • Meranda29
    Meranda29 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What about like a Shepard pie with seasoned
    Lentils Instead of meat?