Reward ideas that aren't food or money based?

Options
13»

Replies

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I used to buy myself new music when I lost weight, then I did the dollar in a jar for every workout I did. I can't think of anything that didn't cost any money. The money in the jar was more just to make me save money for new clothes...I may need to start that again.
  • kchartinc
    kchartinc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hmm, that's tough. My current reward for myself is that I am going to buy myself a new bike and not feel bad about it! But a no cost goal of mine is to go jogging with just capris and a sports bra. That's mostly a confidence thing, but as I gain strength and lean out more, I'm hoping I'll then have the confidence to go out there and do it! So pick a confidence thing perhaps?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I feel like rewarding myself shouldn't involve food or money. But I can't think of anything that doesn't cost at least alittle money.
  • cimarrona27
    cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I set a mini goal and once I get there I am going to go through all of my clothes and donate what does not fit me. I have smaller sizes (pre baby and diabetes) in storage. It will be a huge reward to be able to get them out.

For me it's every 10-15 pounds- milestones of my weight gain. Like pre-pregnancy weight, wedding weight, college weight. I put it on in steps and plan to work backwards from here.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well then @cee134 you should hold off until you find the perfectly clean reward.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    My rewards were:

More mirror time
    Looser clothing
    Boxed up clothing that had been too small
    Less breathlessness on stairs and on the courts
    Feeling healthier and more energetic
    Increased confidence

Most of those were more valuable to me than something purchased.

Have some faith in yourself. Stick to this and you will be rewarded.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I personally suck at rewards. If I know I really CAN have something, telling myself I CANT have it until I do X will not get me to do X. I'll just obsess about the thing and probably have it anyway. I've rarely used food as a reward because of that (I'll just eat it, no point), unless I literally Could Not Have It until I did the thing, eg getting out of the house (which is in and of itself fairly terrible bc what food can't you have until you get out? hint: it's fast) although I have bought myself small presents after a hard semester eg. a cute mug it was never premeditated.

What I'm more interested in are soothing things to replace food in emotional periods. Reminding myself how nice a bath might be instead of [food item], how maybe it's time to wash my hair and maybe it's my itchy scalp making me antsy? why don't we check? How nice I feel after a 30min walk listening to some music.

Relaxation could still be a type of reward - who doesn't want an hour of time to themselves with no tasks in it? You don't have to go to a spa to do spa-like things at home - a bath, a face mask, do your own manicure (polish or no it's still nice to pamper yourself a bit, nice nails and skin are good for everyone regardless of gender).

You could easily reward yourself with entertainment - if you have movies or a Netflix account, or a library (free books! free movies! so many free things! libraries are great! and FREE!!!!). A short story book could be good here - a new little story every time you do a thing. One of those adult colouring books? It really depends on your interests and what works for you, I think.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @kae612 I am very much like you. If I obsess over the reward it kills the whole point, doesn't it? I roll with the punches better these days. If I'm craving something, I go have it...in a controlled, reasonable portion.

Duhigg's book on Habit and Haidt's concept of the Rider and the Elephant really helped me get a handle on how to treat my inner hedonist.
  • kylohart
    kylohart Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Crazy idea if you're a woman...
    Only shave your legs when you can reward yourself.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    How about just being satisfied with your achievement? Why the need to reward for everything little thing geez.

Again, why isn't reaching the goal the reward? Why would it be the goal if it isn't the reward? Healthier body, smaller clothes, feeling better about yourself, ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound. All pretty rewarding. Why, after I've achieved what I have been working for (attaining my goal) would I need anything else?
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @kae612 I am very much like you. If I obsess over the reward it kills the whole point, doesn't it? I roll with the punches better these days. If I'm craving something, I go have it...in a controlled, reasonable portion.

Duhigg's book on Habit and Haidt's concept of the Rider and the Elephant really helped me get a handle on how to treat my inner hedonist.

@jgnatca Thank you for sharing that PDF! :) I will go through it, perhaps it will be useful for me as well. It's good to know my mindset isn't too bizarre, I've read a lot about how useful it is to set rewards, and every time I see it I dismiss it immediately because it's just...not how my mind works at all lol.