Low carb/fat Diet Question

angelapeters77
angelapeters77 Posts: 3 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Ok so I have never been told by a doctor to go low carb and low fat so I have no idea how to even monitor this intake what is the normal and what should I be consuming. The doctor said my liver enzymes are high along with the triglycerides so I need to doe this for six weeks then get the labs done again. So any help would be great.

Replies

• FreeKatrina
    FreeKatrina Posts: 16 Member
    My moms Dr had her do between 20-60gms a day!!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    there a several websites. i like this one:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbmenus1/Low_Carb_Menus.htm
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Angela,

I think it might be worth asking your doctor to send you to see a dietitian (if that's how it works wherever you live!).

It is up to you (of course) if you choose to follow your doctor's advice but keep in mind that they don't always have a lot of training in nutrition.

Based only on the problems you described (not sure if you have any others) I would have said that a low carb diet may be a bad idea since it seems your liver is already stressed (and low carb puts your liver under a bit more stress to turn protein into glucose for your brain). Also, high protein diets (which is what you will have if you cut fat and carbs) are not generally recommended for people with liver problems.

Your trigs should come down if you eat less fat and also if you continue to lose weight.

I would suggest somewhere around 50, 30, 20 (carbs, protein, fat) or 40, 30, 30 and closely watching saturated fat intake but again, I don't have your full history.

Best of luck to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • ellykay7
    ellykay7 Posts: 26
    A good rule for low carb is about 30-35 carbs per meal max and 15 carbs per snack max. I aslo usually try to stay under 45 grams of fat per day and it seems to help. Just eat a lot more fiber and watch out for sugars as well because that just turns into fats. Good luck!!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    The more you sweat the more triglycerides you burn. I lowered my fat intake and increased my exercise and my level went down. I don't have to worry a lot about carbs luckily.
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Angela,

I think it might be worth asking your doctor to send you to see a dietitian (if that's how it works wherever you live!).

It is up to you (of course) if you choose to follow your doctor's advice but keep in mind that they don't always have a lot of training in nutrition.

Based only on the problems you described (not sure if you have any others) I would have said that a low carb diet may be a bad idea since it seems your liver is already stressed (and low carb puts your liver under a bit more stress to turn protein into glucose for your brain). Also, high protein diets (which is what you will have if you cut fat and carbs) are not generally recommended for people with liver problems.

Your trigs should come down if you eat less fat and also if you continue to lose weight.

I would suggest somewhere around 50, 30, 20 (carbs, protein, fat) or 40, 30, 30 and closely watching saturated fat intake but again, I don't have your full history.

Yes! This is absolutely true! Please, ask for a referral to a dietitian. You are more than welcome to add me as a friend and look at my diary. I eat very low fat and low carb. Although I am not a good person to look at when it comes to calories...since I am having a hard time meeting my daily calorie requirements (just push that aside). You can get some ideas of things to eat, etc. If you want? Also sugar intake has a lot to do with cholesterol and triglyceride level, believe it or not. I work in health care, but again, I also agree...don't have your full history. I think seeing a dietitian who can work with your doctor would be the best route! Best of luck!!!
  • scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    Its tough to know what's right for you having no real information to go on...that being said:

A good balance for weight-loss is 45% protein, 25-30% carbs, 25-30% fat.

Make sure your carbs are not the processed kind as they are good for NOTHING.

So if you are eating a 1200 calorie diet you'd be eating 135 grams protein 75-90 grams carbs, and 35-40 grams fat.

You'll be eating enough carbs to maintain energy and metabolism, you'll be eating enough protein to keep your body in shape, and eating enough fat for cell growth/repair.

Just do the math for however many calories you are eating.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Ok so I have never been told by a doctor to go low carb and low fat so I have no idea how to even monitor this intake what is the normal and what should I be consuming. The doctor said my liver enzymes are high along with the triglycerides so I need to doe this for six weeks then get the labs done again. So any help would be great.

If your triglycerides are high, you need to cut sugar intake drastically and yes that does mean to limit your fruit intake..............

Also, you can't just do this for 6 weeks and go back to eating the way your were or currently are. You have to change the way you eat for life.........

Like this week, I way over did it with the fruit. I just got my triglycerides back in check and need to keep them that way..........

Please check into the South Beach Diet if you were told to do low carb and low fat.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Angela,

Triglycerides do not get high from too much fat.....................too much sugar and carbs is what causes high triglycerides not fat intake............

http://www.healthy-heart-guide.com/lowering-triglycerides.html

What are triglycerides?
    Triglycerides are a scientific term for fatty deposits stored in your body. Following is a brief explanation of how they are formed:

Your body transforms the carbohydrates you eat into glucose to be used for energy by your cells. Once the cells have what they need, the excess glucose is sent back to your liver and converted to glycogen. Glycogen can then be stored in your muscles. (Bodybuilders can eat more carbs and be able to store them since their muscles are larger than those of an average person.)

Once you've reached your capacity of glycogen, excess glycogen is sent back to your liver again, where it becomes triglycerides, which are stored as fat. Your body has endless storage space for this fat, as we all know.

Now some of these triglycerides are not stored as fat, but remain in your blood stream, which is where the problem lies. Excess levels of triglycerides thicken your blood, making it sludgy, which increases the possibility of clotting and blockage which could eventually lead to a heart attack or stroke. This is why it is so important to keep your triglyceride levels as low as possible.

How do you keep triglyceride levels down?
    Many doctors focus too much on cholesterol, and not enough on triglycerides. However if you have high cholesterol AND high triglycerides, your chances of developing heart disease go up exponentially. As such, both indicators must be paid attention to.

As we mentioned above, triglyceride levels are directly influenced by what you eat. Anything that increases blood glucose will potentially increase triglycerides, so you should lower your intake of anything that is converted to glucose in the body.

The most important step to take is to lower your carbohydrate intake. All of the most popular diets today - Atkins, South Beach, Zone, etc. are all based on a low carbohydrate diet, because it is an increase in carbs that triggers the conversion of glucose to triglycerides (fats). The low carbohydrate diet is being recommended by more and more doctors and nutritionists as science is proving the carbohydrate fat relationship outlined above.

Excess sugar should also be avoided, as it is converted to glucose and in turn triglycerides much the same way as carbohydrates are.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    To be fair, I didn't say they did, although there is a relationship between the 2. What I did imply was that low fat will help lose weight and weight loss will help bring down the trigs.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member

Did your doctor not give you some sort of diet sheet, which foods that you could follow on it? I wouldn't even know where to start, hoping you find your info - I am no help here whatsoever and have a good mind to delete this post!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.