How much calorie deficit is too much?

Options
So on June 20 2016 I weighed 268 lbs. I started a zero impact exercise routine, and started trying to eat better. On and off over the years I've read a lot and knew what I was supposed to be eating; I just didn't. So now to my question. Since I'm down 20+ pounds and learning more. My calorie "goal" right now is about 1825-2150 depending on what workout I log. Some days 600-800 calories just feels like enough. I track obsessively, I don't feel hungry or tired. I drink plenty of water. Weight is coming off at a fairly rapid rate. Is it awful of once or twice a week I only take in 600-800 calories in a day?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    There's actually a whole diet plan centered around what you are doing, called Intermittent Fasting 5:2. It might be perfect for you.
  • stacylyle13
    stacylyle13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks !
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    So on June 20 2016 I weighed 268 lbs. I started a zero impact exercise routine, and started trying to eat better. On and off over the years I've read a lot and knew what I was supposed to be eating; I just didn't. So now to my question. Since I'm down 20+ pounds and learning more. My calorie "goal" right now is about 1825-2150 depending on what workout I log. Some days 600-800 calories just feels like enough. I track obsessively, I don't feel hungry or tired. I drink plenty of water. Weight is coming off at a fairly rapid rate. Is it awful of once or twice a week I only take in 600-800 calories in a day?

What's your current weight, goal weight, and height?

Someone with 100+ pounds to lose can safely run a weekly deficit of 7,000 calories, while someone with 50 pounds to lose would be better off with a weekly deficit of 3,500 calories. That equates to weekly weight loss goals of 2 pounds and 1 pound, respectively.
  • stacylyle13
    stacylyle13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

What's your current weight, goal weight, and height?

Someone with 100+ pounds to lose can safely run a weekly deficit of 7,000 calories, while someone with 50 pounds to lose would be better off with a weekly deficit of 3,500 calories. That equates to weekly weight loss goals of 2 pounds and 1 pound, respectively.

Current weight 248 lbs. height 5'7". Goal weight is 190 lbs at approx 15% body fat
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    The main reason I eat my calories everyday is to get the nutrients I need (also I'm hungry). That would be the only counter point to not eating at least 1500 calories (for guys). I have the same goals as you do for weight loss.
    The National Institutes of Health indicates that eating plans of 1,500 calories for men, and 1,200 calories for women, are safe and effective in achieving weight loss.