Carb question

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but oh well. Is it better to eat a larger portion of carbs before or after your workout? i hear it it both ways just wondering if theres a real "right" way or if its just a matter of which ever is preferred

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    It is all personal preference. If I eat before a workout, I feel the food all jostling about in my stomach. I don't like it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    macro timing does not matter unless you fall into the professional athlete or bodybuilder category, and even then you are looking at a small improvement in performance...
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Prefer not to eat carbs right before a workout for the same reason stated above. Honestly I personally feel weaker eating pre which I suspect has something to do with the digestive process and blood to the stomach instead of in the muscles (just my own conjecture). Ive got friends who carb up right before and are fine. My suggestion is Hit the carbs post and make sure to have fast and slow carbs in the mix with protein.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Some people will have a light snack of high GI simple carbs (eg a banana) shortly before working out but I'm like the others, I prefer to workout or run on a pretty much empty stomach.

There is a window of an hour or so post workout where your body is more receptive to glycogen replenishment but other than that timing makes little or no difference to people other than elite athletes.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Im on the opposite side of things, i lift my strongest with a little somrthing in my stomach (usuallu a banana).

Like everyone says it comes down to preferance play around with meal timing and see what makes you feel the best.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    I typically do a Pacific Health Labs energy gel right before I do a [cardio] workout, well 30 mins prior, and it's 20.0g of carbs and 5.0g of protein per 100 pounds. Then do one packet every hour.

But to answer your question it really depends on your "workout" are you doing strength training or cardio. When I lift I like something a little more solid like Grilled Chicken, or turkey jerky.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    I don't eat on rides under about three hours, and prefer to do them without too much food in my stomach, just because I don't like the feeling of it weighing me down. So I might have a bagel or two for breakfast and then go ride. If I plan to be out more than three hours, I bring a pack of peanut M&Ms.
  • jhnbwh
    jhnbwh Posts: 30 Member
    I TRY TO DO PROTEIN PRE WORKOUT..... PROTEIN AND CARBS POST WORKOUT
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    With post-workout hypoglycemia, I make sure to eat glucose tablets immediately after working out for fast absorption. Otherwise I get light headed and almost pass out. I perform better in general if I've eaten something within a couple of hours before though.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    jhnbwh wrote: »
    Why are you yelling ??

Also to some other comments . A couple hours before I don't consider as eating right before a workout. I eat something 2-3 hours pre and it is usualy significant calorie wise and it is about 50 % digested by the time I hit the gym.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    rebel_26 wrote: »
    jhnbwh wrote: »
    Why are you yelling ??

Apparently the Pre-Workout Kicked in.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    I don't eat before and I'm not hungry afterwards, so I don't usually eat until 1-2 hours after my workouts (don't know if it's just me, but I find a serious workouts to be one of the best hunger killers around!).