Logging eggs

Options
I log pretty much everything by weight/volume, except sometimes pre-packed servings like, I dunno, granola bars and the like.

But I've never logged eggs before. Should I do those by weight as well? And does anyone know the calories of eggs per 100g?

Replies

• rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    egg whites or whole eggs? Should be able to pull that info up easily in the food section but here is a link that talks to the different egg types and avg calories etc.

http://www.calories-in-foods.com/calories-in-egg.php

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Some weigh them, some don't because the difference in size is minimal. 50 grams is approximately 70 calories, which would make 100 grams about 140 calories.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    eggs usually say how many calories they contain on the box. US grade AA large eggs have 70 calories. I think UK lists kcals on stuff too (judging by the cadbury bars I've had there).
    I know ppl say you need to WEIGHT everything, but it's an egg. An incredible edible egg.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the egg entries have options for grams. I will usually weigh my hardboiled eggs and raw ones before cooking.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I personally just used whatever the carton said. I've never been worried about being a gram or few off...seems pretty negligible.
  • battyfitch
    battyfitch Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I get my eggs from someone who has their own chickens, so they don't come in certain sizes as standard and there's no nutritional label to go by, so I think the 100g/140 calories thing will work the easiest.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I always weigh my eggs. I too get mine from a farm a freind owns and they can vary greatly in size since she has several breeds of chickens. Raw in shell then weigh the shell and subtract the shell number and log the difference under the USDA Eggs raw entry. If they are hard boiled I weigh them after peeling and log in USDA eggs cooked boiled entry.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    ah! fresh eggs are so great! I get it. Maybe weigh one, and go with whatever that count is for an easy average :)