Lifting Weights - Should I be eating more now?

Options
My daily net calorie goal is around 1450. I have about 6 to 8 pounds, or one more clothing size till goal.

I started doing StrongLifts 5 x 5 just over a month ago - three x week. Suddenly, in the last several days, I feel ravenous much earlier before meals. I am having to eat more for a snack to keep from feeling lethargic.

Just wondering if I should redo my calorie calculations and increase calories due to weightlifting, or does the type of exercise not matter?

I have been eating basically the same foods (especially breakfast) since starting in February and it is only in the last several days that I feel so hungry between meals.

Replies

• jmohun
    jmohun Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue too. I have been lifting for the last 4 months and I was feeling really hungry, especially for protein. I increased my calories to 200 cals below maintenance and kept the protein higher.

One more thing though, I was getting frustrated that the scales were not going down as fast as the work I was putting in. It turned out I had lost fat but I was building muscle as well.

Hope this helps.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    is that net number for one pound per week loss? If yes, then I would suggest increase by 250 calories so that you are only losing half pound a week.