Where do you make time in your day for exercise?

Options

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You wake up at 7:15. I get up at 5:30. That's when I go to the gym, and then directly to work.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    6 wake up, pee, weigh, drink water, make coffee
    6.15 work out
    6.45 drink coffee and water
    7 jump in shower
    7.15 kick kid out of bed and throw him in shower
    7.30 get both of us dressed/teeth/hair
    8 give kid breakfast/pack his lunch/get everything prepped for school and work
    8.25 leave the house
    5.25 get home
    5.30 make dinner for both of us
    7 I have free time here
    8 bribe kid to get into bed then more free time
    9.30 bedtime yoga
    10 chill out till I decide to go to bed, around 11 usually.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Except not at the moment because I'm on annual leave so I can sleep in and do whatever I want... Bliss!
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    You wake up at 7:15. I get up at 5:30. That's when I go to the gym, and then directly to work.

Yes, I do. I seem to be one of the few people in this thread who prefers to/can exercise after work instead of before. Would you like to share what the rest of your day is like, or did you just want to point out that my day starts later than yours..?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This is my weekday schedule. My weekends are not so predictable.

5:15 - Wake up
    5:15 to 6:15 - Shower, get ready, pack breakfast and lunch, wake kid up for school (if applicable)
    6:15 to 7:00 - Commute
    7:00 to 9:00 - Work
    9:00 to 9:15 - Walk
    9:15 to 12:00 - Work
    12:00 to 12:30 - Walk (except Weds which is yoga from 12:00 to 12:50)
    12:30 to 2:00 - Work
    2:00 to 2:15 - Walk
    2:15 to 3:30 - Work
    3:30 to 4:15 - Commute
    4:15 to 5:00 - Change into gym clothes, chill or do household chores/prep dinner
    5:00 to 5:30 - Take son to whatever sport he's currently doing
    5:30 to 7:30 - Gym
    7:30 to 8:00 - Pick up son and head home
    8:00 to ? - Cook and eat dinner
    9:00ish - Bed
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I do:

5:00 - 5:45 AM - wake up, drink coffee, eat breakfast, get dressed etc
    5:45 - 6:45 AM - run
    6:45 - 7:30 AM - shower, primp, drink coffee
    7:30 - 8:00 AM - commute (via bike right now, but sometimes I take the train, or walk if I can be ready by 7:00)
    8:00 - 12:00 PM - work
    12:00 - 1:00 PM - gym (1/2 hr of gym, 1/2 hr of getting there and back and ready and all of that)
    1:00 PM - 4:30 PM - work
    4:30 PM - 5:00 PM - commute (again, bike right now)

Sometimes I skip the morning run or the lunch gym and run or gym in the evening. If I don't, I have ample time in my evening for making dinner, hanging out with my husband, running errands, etc. etc. etc. I like to get my fitness stuff out of the way early in the day so I don't have to squeeze it in evenings. It's just easier for me and I feel like I have more free time this way.

I go to bed between 9PM and 10PM most nights so I get enough sleep, but I still generally feel like I have pretty relaxed evenings. I come home, hang out with my husband, cook dinner and spot clean the kitchen, and have time for buying groceries or home maintenance or seeing friends or whatever.

I'm also a bit of a weirdo and do all my housecleaning on Friday afternoons - I get off work at 1PM on Fridays so I spend the afternoon doing a tornado cleaning and getting everything spotless and all the laundry done and that kind of thing so we don't have to deal with any of that on the weekends or the rest of the week. It's just my husband and I so nothing really needs doing more than that, as we're pretty tidy people and don't have kids or pets to make messes.

I don't claim to be "busy" - I have a full time job but that's the only real demand on my time - but I fit in up to 3 hrs of exercise every day before 5PM, which is definitely more than necessary for general health so I do feel like if I can get that much, lots of other people should be able to find time for even 1/2 hr or an hour if it was really important to them. Sorry if that's judgey...I know it's not a priority for everyone so I don't normally say it, but there it is.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Day type 1

Wake up at stupid o'clock (stupid hundred hours) at least 90 mins before I have to get up
    Get up anyway cos nothing worse than happily sleeping partner to make you want to sharpen your elbows
    Let dog out, make and eat breakfast
    Check clock
    Decide fuggit might as well walk to work
    Pack bag with lunch and shoes, pop on trainers
    Walk for 40 mins (2.5 miles)
    Drink coffee
    Do work
    Realise I forgot element of lunch, walk to local shops and back 30 mins (2 miles)
    Get back, eat lunch
    Do work
    Watch it start to rain
    Think fuggit gotta walk back in the rain now
    Walk back in the rain
    Avoid jumping dog, let dog out
    Sit down for 15 mins
    Thinks "gym or children?"
    Skips gym, make dinner
    Children come home from school with assorted friends, shout hi and immediately ignore me
    Thinks "shoulda gone to gym"
    Ask assorted kids if staying for supper
    Walk to shops to buy more dinner
    Make more dinner
    Take dog for walk
    Sit on couch
    Greet husband, have regular argument about who should make tea ..I win ..get tea on couch
    Go run a bath
    Go to bed

*snip*

My life is dully repetitive

She says

From poolside of villa in Portugal

There is never an argument about this in my house. My husband understands that making tea for me every morning and evening is a must. He's the perfect man.

Poolside in a villa in Portugal sounds fan-frikkin-tastic.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Everyone is getting up so early! Do the majority of you have children or just early birds naturally? I've started waking at half 7 naturally now its summer and I was impressed with myself. Maybe it's to do with age too?
  • katrinahoffman1
    katrinahoffman1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Morning while I watch the news for the day.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I live 3.5 miles from work so 2 months ago, while rehab'ing from knee surgery, I started riding my bike to and from work every day. With traffic and lights, it only takes me about 3 minutes more than driving so it doesn't really require that much more time from my day. On the weekends I make time to take a walk with friend or do something fun at the lake just to have some activity.

In the past I found that I had to 'make' rather than 'find' time. I got up an hour earlier to go to the gym every day. It was a sacrifice that paid off in the end - I lost 50 pounds.
  • OneWayOnlyCycles
    OneWayOnlyCycles Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Before I start work at 10am. Gets the brain going!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Everyone is getting up so early! Do the majority of you have children or just early birds naturally? I've started waking at half 7 naturally now its summer and I was impressed with myself. Maybe it's to do with age too?

I do not have children and I am not naturally a morning person. But I noticed that my entire day feels better when I don't have to rush in the AM and I really enjoy getting my exercise done first thing so I can do whatever I want in the evening. I also had years at a job that had me waking up at 3 AM, so 5 AM doesn't really seem early at all to me anymore.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I get up about 530am. Have some tea, and then either hit the road for a run or a long walk between 6 and 7am. At noon I go to yoga or Pilates. I eat on the way there or back.
    I ride/walk to work.
    When I'm lifting, I tend to do that at noon.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

No kids, but I start work at 8AM so if I want to work out first then 5AM it is. I'm not really an early bird naturally but I just feel so much better about my life if I don't have to exercise after work. If I don't run before work I sleep until 6:30.

This time of year it doesn't feel particularly early because it's already more or less light out when I get up as I live pretty far north. In midwinter 5AM feels like an ungodly hour though, I admit...but it's worth it to be finished my run and feeling awake and endorphin-y by the time I get to the office.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I work full time, train 5x week for up to 2 hours, volunteer with dog rescue org, help take care of grandmother, try to get in some cardio once or twice a week. Also do yard work/cut grass, laundry, meal prep, walk dog, mobility work. I have maybe an hour a day to catch up on Hulu/YouTube videos while I eat dinner, before I start preparing for the next day and get ready for bed. Though this summer I've been taking every other Friday off work, so its been easier to get all this in and have a little more down time. After my next comp in 3 weeks, will probably adjust my time in the gym to 3 or 4 days/week.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I get up REALLY early and go to the gym before I go to work.
    I start work at 5 a.m. I have a long commute (45 minutes one way), and work 11 hours per day, 5 days per week (and some Saturdays) so I know that I will be too tired to go to the gym after work.
    I really like have my gym time over first thing of the long day, so it works well for me.
  • grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    LOL!! I have NO schedule. Every day is something new/different/insane/boring. I exercise in bits and pieces. I might get 5 minutes of exercise; or 6 solid hours (kayaking - on a river, you can't stop until you get to the end of the journey!). I must be getting enough exercise - I haven't passed out on those 6 hour marathons yet....
  • NancyCaz61
    NancyCaz61 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I get up anywhere between 5:00 & 5:15 on the mornings that I exercise. I don't belong to a gym but I have a huge library of workout dvd's. I'm in the shower by 6:30 then off to work until I get home at 5:30. I know I won't exercise at night, I don't want to work out late nor eat dinner late...so morning it is for me! I would love to walk at night, but it's too darn hot here in Florida. I do get a short walk to go to lunch during the day about 1,000 steps round trip :P
  • Fit4sure
    Fit4sure Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My job is all over the map, crazy drive time and some days I'm gone from 8 to 9 o clock...

Hard to fit anything in and it's frustrating after being a stay at home Mom with a minimum of 1-2 hours a day workout...running, weights, hiking and cardio kickboxing.

Now I work and wonder IF I'll squeeze in a 10 minute whatever somewhere.

Most days nothing, but some days I get to walk. Trying to figure this out and it's irksome at best especially as I injured my knees in a weight lifting accident BUT the only thing I can do is to add steps in where I can, pick up heavy things and volunteer to carry stuff whenever possible...and hope it'll do.