Calorie minimums?

Options
I am near the end of tri season and will be going on a clean bulk soon. I'm trying to figure out how many calories I will need. MFP says about 2050 to maintain, but I see people on here talking about bulking on 3000+ calories. I'm 6' and 160 so my MFP maintenance count can't be that far off from these high calorie people. Are you finding your real maintenance amount to be larger than MFP, or doing a very dirty bulk, or am I just missing something?

Replies

• rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hmmm I'm 5' 8" and 162 and my goal is to add 1/2 lb a week and I'm at 2700 calories per day recommended
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Depends on your tdee
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am near the end of tri season and will be going on a clean bulk soon. I'm trying to figure out how many calories I will need. MFP says about 2050 to maintain, but I see people on here talking about bulking on 3000+ calories. I'm 6' and 160 so my MFP maintenance count can't be that far off from these high calorie people. Are you finding your real maintenance amount to be larger than MFP, or doing a very dirty bulk, or am I just missing something?

I am higher than mfp but i have fairly good body composition. But in all reality, start with a number, log for 4 to 6 weeks and then adjust according. Buy i bulk at 3300 or so.
  • kbarrett0701
    kbarrett0701 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Depends on your body fat, weight and lean mass.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I can gain on 2400. 5'7" and 145 lbs
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I am higher than mfp but i have fairly good body composition. But in all reality, start with a number, log for 4 to 6 weeks and then adjust according. Buy i bulk at 3300 or so.

This 100%. I was 4,000 when I bulked. Started at 3,000, logged for 4-6 weeks and evertime there was no gain in weight after those weeks, I increased it by another 250 calories until I started to gain which was at 4,000. Its about trial and error.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Pick a number of calories (approximately 14 x lbm), eat it for 2 weeks and track your weight. If you lose weight, increase calories, if you're happy with your weight gain, keep the same.