Hair falling out - badly

13»

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    1200 calories at 5'6" when you don't have a massive amount to lose is way too low, especially if this is gross.

Please eat more. Well done on the weight loss so far, but you need to adjust as you lose weight and accept that you will lose slower - you should not be aiming to lose 2lb a week now, more like 0.5lb a week.

as to the hair loss, see a doctor. It probably IS related to losing your mum, but without knowing the pattern of hair loss or doing blood tests or understanding your situation fully, there is nothing you can find out on the internet.
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 374 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Can you open your diary so we can take a look? Also, eating 1200 calories and exercise, is not 1200 net.. it's 1200 gross.
    Oops, that's what I meant, gross. :smile: I haven't been tracking things as much lately, I'm trying to eat a little more and I've been getting a little obsessive with what I eat so I'm hoping not tracking as stringently for a bit calms me down. Generally I try to eat a protein shake in the morning - a low calorie lunch (usually a salad with fruit), two snacks and then a dinner with protein and veggies. This is almost every day unless I deviate by going out to lunch or dinner.

I'm your height (5'6") and can't imagine eating 1200 calories gross for one day, let alone 7 months. Despite frequently grossing 2,000 calories, I've lost 40 pounds since I started on MFP and 50 pounds from my top weight.

Wow congrats! I'm not even sure how you've managed that :smile: 2000 calories a day would put me over my maintenance by 300 calories haha.

How much weight do you lose per week? Can you look back over the past 4-6 weeks and come up with an average?

0-2 pounds a week lately.

That is more of a range than an average which would make it hard to back into your TDEE. If you want, can you provide the measurements over the last 4-6 or even 4-8 weeks (here or over pm) and we can back into your actual TDEE.

Sorry, I'm not sure how to help you? :confused:

What was your weight 8 weeks ago, what is it today? You can look at the below

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/reports

8 weeks ago I was 160.
    today I'm 149.

Ok, so here is the math break-out (if you don't like math, skip to the I hate math tag line).

11 lb difference
    3500 calories in a lb

11*3500 = 38,500 (calories burnt)
    38,500/61 (number of days) = 631.147541(deficit per day)
    1200 (current intake) + 631 (deficit) = 1831 total daily energy expenditure

IHM: Your maintenance is averages 1831 calories.

Assumes: accurate and consistent logging. Knowing that you don't log, this could vastly be different I would recommend an increase to 1400 and increase protein to help with your hair.

Wow thank you for taking the time to do all that!
  • girl_inflames
    edited August 2016
    girlinahat wrote: »
    1200 calories at 5'6" when you don't have a massive amount to lose is way too low, especially if this is gross.

Please eat more. Well done on the weight loss so far, but you need to adjust as you lose weight and accept that you will lose slower - you should not be aiming to lose 2lb a week now, more like 0.5lb a week.

as to the hair loss, see a doctor. It probably IS related to losing your mum, but without knowing the pattern of hair loss or doing blood tests or understanding your situation fully, there is nothing you can find out on the internet.

I don't understand, why is it too low now that I've lost weight? Shouldn't it be lower the less you weigh? I'm still on the edge of the overweight line - I don't think I've lost enough to add calories into my diet
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2016

I don't understand, why is it too low now that I've lost weight? Shouldn't it be lower the less you weigh? I'm still on the edge of the overweight line - I don't think I've lost enough to add calories into my diet

The deficit should be lower as you have less available fat stores for energy and it makes it harder to get adequate nutrients (i.e., why your hair might be falling out). After you lose weight, your TDEE does lower from decreases in metabolism and associated reductions in burned calories through non exercise and exercise. In some cases, like mine, I never lowered my TDEE. I suspect it's due to the increase in non exercise and exercise calories that make up for any metabolic rate slowing. It's also possible that I have had some muscle gains to help mitigate and metabolic slowdown. So whether I was 220 or 175, I have always maintained at 3K calories
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    as many have already said. make sure you are eating enough and eating enough protien and fats. and definitely check with your doctor.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    psulemon is giving you great advice. Do a little homework and you'll find that a large calorie deficit and/or protein deficiency can cause hair loss. Anecdotally, my hair fell out rapidly because I lost weight quickly by cutting calories too deeply. When I increased my calories the hair loss slowed and eventually grew back. Hair loss is a symptom of something going on in your body. Grief is terribly stressful, on top of being in a large calorie deficit, which is more stress to your already overloaded system. The simplest fix is to up your cals, and probably have some blood work done to make sure there isn't anything else going on.

Btw, I'm sorry for the loss of your mom.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Can you open your diary so we can take a look? Also, eating 1200 calories and exercise, is not 1200 net.. it's 1200 gross.
    Oops, that's what I meant, gross. :smile: I haven't been tracking things as much lately, I'm trying to eat a little more and I've been getting a little obsessive with what I eat so I'm hoping not tracking as stringently for a bit calms me down. Generally I try to eat a protein shake in the morning - a low calorie lunch (usually a salad with fruit), two snacks and then a dinner with protein and veggies. This is almost every day unless I deviate by going out to lunch or dinner.

I'm your height (5'6") and can't imagine eating 1200 calories gross for one day, let alone 7 months. Despite frequently grossing 2,000 calories, I've lost 40 pounds since I started on MFP and 50 pounds from my top weight.

I'm 5'7", and 1200 calories is maintenance for me. I try to stay at 1000 to lose. If I ate 2000 calories a day, I would be gaining steadily every week!

Please remember that every body is different.

how is 1200 your maintenance at 5'7? Im 5'6.5 and mine is over 2000 and Im not highly active either. 1200 maintenance I would think would be for a very small,petite or older woman or all 3 of those things.even without exercise mt maintenance is more than 1600 and Im 42

She's 60. Mind you, I still don't believe her maintenance is quite that low, but it's probably involving something of a cushion for logging accuracy.

I had no idea of her age but I did mention small.petite or older women that may be their maintenance.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member

Over the last 8 weeks you've lost an average of 1.4 pounds, which is now too fast for your weight of 149 pounds. At this point you should slow it down to a half pound per week. Plug this goal into MFP and NET the calories it gives you. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    edited August 2016
    cathipa wrote: »
    Possibly. Google adrenal fatigue. Also if you have been restricting fat this can adversely affect hormone function (TSH) and could be a sign of hypothyroidism. I would go to your doctor for blood work.

I looked at the symptoms online -- and I have just recently lost my mother. I think you may have hit the nail on the head with adrenal fatigue. I'm definitely going to get this checked out. Thanks

There is no such thing as adrenal fatigue. It isn't a real thing.

However, thyroid disorders, stress, and too little fat in the diet are all things that can lead to hair loss (among others). See a doctor.
  • zduraj
    zduraj Posts: 15 Member
    Do a blood test to see iron. Low iron was the reason for my hair loss
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited August 2016

I'm 5'7", and 1200 calories is maintenance for me. I try to stay at 1000 to lose. If I ate 2000 calories a day, I would be gaining steadily every week!

Please remember that every body is different.

how is 1200 your maintenance at 5'7? Im 5'6.5 and mine is over 2000 and Im not highly active either. 1200 maintenance I would think would be for a very small,petite or older woman or all 3 of those things.even without exercise my maintenance is more than 1600 and Im 42

She's 60. Mind you, I still don't believe her maintenance is quite that low, but it's probably involving something of a cushion for logging accuracy.

I had no idea of her age but I did mention small.petite or older women that may be their maintenance.

You did. You also asked "how is 1200 your maintenance". I was just answering your question, as it seemed that you did not know her age.

no,(she never mentioned her age before I replied) I knew her height, did not know her age otherwise I wouldnt have said that 1200 maintenance would be for a small,petite or older woman(or all 3). I didnt see where she stated her age.I asked how her maintenance was 1200 because we are close in height,I said my maintenance was higher and Im not highly active.I gave my age. so I dont know where you got I knew her age.I do now though,
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I lost 3/4 of my hair from severe anaemia (undetectable serum iron and 6.2 hemoglobin for almost a year). Strangely my ferritin was low normal but I had basically no iron circulating in my blood
  • girl_inflames
    I bumped up my protein and I've been taking more hair and nails vitamins and it seems to be helping so far. Thank you everyone for your insight! I'll still be making an appointment with my doctor soon
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    I bumped up my protein and I've been taking more hair and nails vitamins and it seems to be helping so far. Thank you everyone for your insight! I'll still be making an appointment with my doctor soon

You should also consider bumping up calories up to 1400
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,961 Member
    edited August 2016
    It could also be a sign of low iron. I'd definitely get to a doctor. I agree increasing your calories now with only ~10-15 to go would still be wise.

B12 could also be a culprit.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,961 Member
    edited August 2016

It was always too low. At 5'6", that's less than your BMR. It's not recommended to do that. It's the reason I left Weight Watchers. Found out their point system was only giving me 1100 calories a day. You're the same height as me. You should be eating a minimum of 1350-1450 calories a day, even if sedentary. Which I assume you're not. You probably lost muscle mass eating that low for that long. I did it for 4 months and I swear I lost my hamstrings (not gone but not nice any more!). I am now going to have to work hard to get them back. I didn't understand either when I first started.