Butternut Squash

Options

Replies

• msbsimon
    msbsimon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Butternut Squash Carbonara recipe at Cooking Classy blog is awesome. I skipped the pasta. http://www.cookingclassy.com/butternut-squash-pasta-carbonara/
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste Butternut squash gratin - very tasty!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »
    This one is easy:

Cut the butternut squash into chunks, put in a soup pot with dried lentils, cover with water, bring to a boil, then throw in a 5" strip of kelp for flavor and simmer on low until the beans are soft. Eat with brown rice and steamed greens.

Very interesting! I might try this just because it sounds so different throwing in the kelp :)

• mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    olive oil, salt & cumin. Roast it at high temp so it carmalizes. I like it leftover in my lunch salad w/ a vinegrette dressing w/ a smidge of curry. Sounds weird but soooo good.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I - and the family - love butternut squash. All types of squash, actually.

Just made yesterday: cubed butternut squash, baby carrots (1-2 inches in length) and rough-chopped onions as a bed under several chicken breasts. Coated in a couple of slugs of olive oil, sprinkled with some ground sage (the squash and sage go well together), S&P to taste, and the chicken (only) also dusted with dried italian seasoning herbs rather than sage. Baked, covered for about 50-60 min at 400F (creates a steaming effect), continue baking uncovered for a shorter time, about 15 minutes, oven broil for about 5-8 minutes to finish with a nice browning. Your timings to fully cook the chicken might vary based on the breast sizes (I had large ones yesterday), chopped veggie sizes, total mass of food being cooked, etc.; you don't want to "slush down" the squash by overcooking.

Parsnips go well in this type of dish as well.
  • steviejbjuice
    steviejbjuice Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cut the butternut in half lenghtways, roast until the middle is soft, scoop out mix with a little feta, a little mozzarella, chilli and chopped plum cherry tomatoes, and a sprinkle of packet stuffing mix, put the mix back in the skin and roast a little longer
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I hate my microwave, but it will be my new best kitchen friend. I took off most of my knuckle last night peeling the dang thing with a super sharp peeler. I've been growing and preparing these things for years. They are my fall go-to meal base. I did a risotto last night that is a family favorite. I also make a great soup that gets chicken broth, coconut milk (just a little) and curry. If I remember, it gets an apple too.

Thanks for all of the peeps who suggested the microwave. Seriously, my thumb might never be the same size...
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Slice it up and sub it for some of the potatoes in scalloped potatoes. Or roast it with apples adding a little cinnamon and brown sugar. Soon I'm going to try it roasted along with some Brussels sprouts and chicken.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I buy the pre cut chunks (I'm the only one in the house who likes it so I'm not going through the hassle of cutting the whole one up just for me).

I roast it then, and a couple of my favorite variations include:

Olive oil, fresh rosemary or sage, and crumbled goat cheese. Serve with chicken and wild rice.

Olive oil, cumin, chili powder. I serve this with pork carnitas and then for leftovers I mix the pork, squash, and black beans and turn them into burritos with queso fresco.

My favorite soup variation includes curry powder and a little chili oil drizzled on top.

• choupetteL
    choupetteL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love it and cook it everyway imaginable. Mostly curried soups,fritters or risotto. After roasting the squash whole, you can even use the puree in baked turkey meatballs. Keeps the meatball tender and juicy.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    This is my daughter's creation and it's pretty darn tasty!

Hunter’s Butternut Squash Soup

Prep Time: 20 Min
    Cook Time: 40 Min
    Ready In: 1 Hr

Ingredients

1 large butternut squash
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    1/2 cup diced onion
    3/4 cup diced carrots
    3 cups vegetable broth
    salt and ground black pepper to taste
    1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Directions

Slice butternut squash in half, scoop out seeds, place in pan sliced side down in a little water at 4 degrees for about 35 minutes or until done.

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion and carrots under tender.

Add in vegetable broth and squash (scoop out flesh after baking) and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.

Using an immersion blender, puree the soup mixture until smooth.

Makes 4 servings

Calories: 138
    Fat grams: 4
    Fiber grams: 7
  • mmschneider429
    mmschneider429 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I make this and it's AMAZING!! Every Thanksgiving people remind me not to forget it! <3

http://juliasalbum.com/2015/10/roasted-brussels-sprouts-cinnamon-butternut-squash-pecans-and-cranberries/

• KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I love butternut! Last week I browned some ground turkey and an onion. Added some cumin and butternut cubed in small cubes, cooked til the squash was soft. It is so simple, but really good. I ate it everyday for lunch and dinner. I also just cube it and boil it then use a hand blender to make it smooth like baby food. Add some butter and a little brown sugar.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Abm4n wrote: »
    Get yourself a vegetable spiralizer, then you can cook it with olive oil and butter, salt and pepper. Hey presto, or maybe hey pesto! Low carb vegetable pasta is great!

I suspect you're thinking of summer squashes rather than a winter squash like butternut.

@vingogly butternut squash noodles are fantastic, as are rutabaga noodles, broccoli stem noodles, parsnip noodles, beet noodles, and a ton of other vegetables. The flavor of the seasoning/ingredients just has to complement the vegetable.
    p90wb0i8voqx.jpg

That looks delicious!!

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Everything everyone said, and all the recipes. OMG one of the best foods ever. You can sub it in cubed in any sweet potato salad recipe, and just about anything sweet potato. It's a lower calorie version of a "like" sweet potato sort of like what cauliflower is to pototo, or a way to "water it down with a similar fiber/flavor" for a yummy volume.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was in the supermarket yesterday and they were making some butternut squash noodles. I was a skeptic but they were really good. Any suggestions on recipes?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Abm4n wrote: »
    Get yourself a vegetable spiralizer, then you can cook it with olive oil and butter, salt and pepper. Hey presto, or maybe hey pesto! Low carb vegetable pasta is great!

I suspect you're thinking of summer squashes rather than a winter squash like butternut.

@vingogly butternut squash noodles are fantastic, as are rutabaga noodles, broccoli stem noodles, parsnip noodles, beet noodles, and a ton of other vegetables. The flavor of the seasoning/ingredients just has to complement the vegetable.

I wouldn't have thought you could do that -- that does look fantastic. What do you use to make the "noodles"?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @vingogly I use a spiralizer. The one I have is from amazon and has lasted me 3+/week usage for over 4 years. I've also bought four over the years as gifts.

Paderno Spiralizer

The inspiralized webpage has a TON of free recipes and her cookbook is well worth it.
    http://inspiralized.com/spiralizer-recipes/
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/03/butternut-squash-mac-n-cheeze/

i love this recipe. but seriously, dealing with fresh butternut squash is so difficult! more power to you, i've never diced as many fingers as i have trying to prep butternut squash for roasting.

Somebody told me to soften it in the mircowave
  • donnagaunt31
    donnagaunt31 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What does it taste like? I've always got one in as my lizard eats it