Running Wrong?

Options
I've completed a couch to 5k program over the last two months and am now up to running 4miles 5x/wk when I get up in the morning. No matter how much stretching I do, my hip flexors (and sometimes my quads) kill me! Thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?

Replies

• Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You might need new shoes. Foam rolling before and after a run could work as well. You might also be running in an uneven/cambered road. Or it could be too much, too soon.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling, massages, maybe cut back to 2 or 3 times a week until you feel better. As suggested, you might need to get fitted for new shoes, possibly some with more cushioning.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Replace 2 days of running with strength training. Check out this routine: http://www.runnersworld.com/strength-training/10-essential-strength-exercises-for-runners/slide/6

Also shoes, foam roller, and stretching after each run.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I agree with ALL of the above. Sounds simple, but it's probably the most helpful and accurate advice you're going to get. Been there...done that. Recovered. I also added Yoga to my routine, but I am assuming the stretches you are doing run along the same lines.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    What was mentioned above. Though I would hold off on the new shoes unless you were not fitted properly to begin with. Something is clearly wrong in your body (tight, bad form, etc) and you should look to fix that instead of just a band-aid (like cushiony running shoes). If you don't fix the problem, it won't go away. Yoga and SMR (foam rolling but you will need something other than a foam roller to hit your hip flexor good - i suggest an LAX ball). You may also want to get your running form evaluated too. Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with cutting back your training volume, run on alternate days and cross train.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Adding yoga and Kettlebell workouts have positively affected my running...better times, less cramping, less tightness, better breath control.

I also use the elliptical when I am on business trips...I focus a lot on form, extending my stride, correcting my gait, and isolating my lower body. I feel like it contributes in a good way.
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My first thought is you're not recovering enough. A foam roller and soaks in hot Epsom salt baths will help but 5 x s a week is a lot of running. Typically I'll run every other day with other activities in between.
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Also I need to add, from experience, too much too soon leads to a host of injuries.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    5 days a week is a lot for a new runner. I got a super super sore hip flexor just over a year ago. Hurt to raise my foot to step in and out of pants. 2 weeks of no running along with stretching and it's never bothered me again. I'd definitely cut back to 3 days a week but also consider taking at least a few days off.
  • amyers3312
    amyers3312 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have found that a dynamic warm up with walking lunges, elbow to instep lunges, side lunges and zombie kicks have helped loosen my hip flexors and aid in my run and recovery more than static stretches. Might be worth a try.
  • tofuligan
    tofuligan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Crescent lunges and pigeon pose helps me a lot too!