Beans and Legumes: good or bad?

Options
I've read some articles about digestion problems with beans and legumes. Also what about soy? Isn't that bad too?

Replies

• Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Beans and Legumes are always good...unless you're low-carbing it. Soy can be good or bad depending on who you talk to. Are you vegetarian or vegan?
  • plantbasedparty
    plantbasedparty Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Beans and legumes are great! I haven't heard many people having problems digesting beans.
    Some people have soy allergies, in which case soy would be bad for them. Some people are wary of soy because of the phytoestrogens that it contains; however there is no threat of harm from soy. I believe that people would be "at risk" from these phytoestrogens only if they had like 12 servings or so of soy every day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Beans and I don't get along. Major stomach cramping when I eat those.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat beans and legumes with no problems. I don't consume soy a lot just because I don't like many soy products.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Lentils, lima beans, and black-eyed peas seem to be less gassy for me than others
  • selrold
    selrold Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm a beaner. I also eat organic tofo and organic soy products. I'm Plant based.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Some people do have problems digesting beans. For those people, beans would be bad (although I have heard anecdotal stories about it getting easier for some people to digest them when they eat them regularly). Others have no problems digesting them. For those people, beans would be good (assuming they like them and they fit into their goals). I eat beans every day.

Same with soy -- some people may not be able to eat it without discomfort. But for the rest of us, it can be a great addition to the diet. I eat soy several times a week, at least.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have no issues with beans or legumes and consider them a healthful addition to my diet, and a great source of protein (not vegetarian, but trying to eat less meat). I don't eat as much as I should.

I wouldn't go totally crazy with soy (or anything else, personally), and if you eat a lot of highly processed foods you can get a lot without realizing it, but I don't eat that much packaged stuff (and most of what I do eat doesn't have soy), so I happily include tofu, tempeh, edamame, and occasional soy milk in my diet.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    If you have problems digesting beans you need to start out small...like a 1/4 cup and eat some every other day to start then eat everyday so your body builds up tolerance to digest the beans. Then you will see a difference overtime. Beans are an excellent source of fiber and protein!
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    beans and legume if able to stomach them (no pun intended) are an awesome source of complex carbs, fiber, and protein and helps regulate bowels and keep blood sugar levels in check.

If a male though id say limit any soy. While it has its pro and cons I'm pretty sure there is clinical proof its better for females than males.

The following link to be taken with a grain of salt.
    http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    neither. they are fuel, not good or bad
  • alexgirl06
    alexgirl06 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've recently read that eating soy regularly, contrary to popular belief, can actually help prevent breast cancer. However, this does not include soy in burger patties, etc. They said fermented soys (tofu and soy sauce) are good but not soy added to processed foods.

In general, beans and legumes have always been fine for me. It's refined sugars that cause my digestive issues.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rebel_26 wrote: »
    beans and legume if able to stomach them (no pun intended) are an awesome source of complex carbs, fiber, and protein and helps regulate bowels and keep blood sugar levels in check.

If a male though id say limit any soy. While it has its pro and cons I'm pretty sure there is clinical proof its better for females than males.

The following link to be taken with a grain of salt.
    http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects

I'm not sure what clinical proof you're referring to -- do you happen to remember where you read that?
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    mmm, beans.

Black beans and rice
    Channa masala
    Lentil dal
    Lentil soup
    Lentil salad
    Chili
    Spanish Bean soup
    Black eyed peas and kale
    Black eyed peas with ethiopian spices and tomato
    Okra and lima beans (not joking, it looks terrible but tastes good)
    Pinto beans in burritos or tostadas
    Pinto beans in chili

Beans have protein, vitamins, minerals, folic acid, fiber. They are very nutritious and so freaking versatile for cooking. Yum. I am 100% in favor of beans.

We do not eat *too* many soybean products in my household, but do love tofu in coconut curry and stir frys.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    beans are good for you. End of story. Some people get gas but you can reduce it by cooking your beans from scratch and soaking them and dumping that water before cooking. Or use canned brown lentils which are low fodmap.

Soy is good for you too. It's a complete plant protein. Eat up.
  • rebel_26
    Options
    http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/170-scientific-reasons-to-lose-the-soy-in-your-diet/

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/soy_wth

Take with grains of salt. Not trying to scare anyone just pointing out as is with most items work within moderation.

I have hypothyrodism so ill avoid soy as much as possible.
  • rebel_26
    Options
    I realize for every bad report you can find good reports as well.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, and I'm having soy and other legumes pretty regularly, and I'm losing weight steadily. I do a fairly low-carb diet, but enough of my carbs are soy or other legumes where it seems substantial. I'm not vegetarian, but meat is not a favorite food for me, so I don't have a whole lot, and I find I'm a lot less hungry if I have a decent amount of protein. Legumes are a good protein source for me.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Beans and lentils are good unless you have to watch your potassium or phosphate intake. They have really high concentrations of both of those (1 cup of cooked beans has around 800mg potassium and 356mg phosphates).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Making Bab Leves as we speak (Hungarian Bean Soup). Let's see; higher in protein than many vegetarian foodstuffs, high in fiber, and inexpensive.

I recommend beans and legumes all the time to low income dieters wondering how they will eat healthy on a budget.