Plantar fasciitis--what can I do?

Options
2»

Replies

• spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Here is what has helped me and is still helping me:

You need Hard insole because the soft ones make it so much worse. It sounds weird but is true you may have to slowly work into them were the for a few hours at a time. I was like you and though HARD are you serious but it works!!!

Birkenstocks are amazing for shoes or sandals they actually have cute sandals.

Tape your arches

Stand up and roll your foot on a golf ball best massage ever

Also trusty IBProfin.
  • BevBasil
    BevBasil Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I stand all day at work and used to have it. I wear Keen's now. You need a shoe where you can feel the arch support while you're standing. No more cheap, flat flip flops and don't go bare foot.
  • ezrida
    ezrida Posts: 36
    Options
    I had plantar fasciitis and taping was the best treatment for me. There is some great information about taping the foot for plantar fasciitis in elrofeet.com
    http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/plantar_fasciitis_taping.html
  • pnece
    pnece Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I tried a bunch of the suggestions people have made. But nothing worked until I had cortisone injections in my heel. That along with store bought orthotics have done the trick.
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    lose weight
    (although this won't help in the short-term)

get MBT's shoes. they are expensive and ugly but wear them ALL THE TIME. as soon as your feet hit the floor out of bed in the morning until you step into the shower or bed again at night.

overnight wear foot/ankle stretchers which keep your feet flexed all night. check online, you will have to spend some money to get GOOD ONES that aren't cheap and won't fall off. (the sock ones are a joke, get the big huge ones that look like casts for if you broke your feet)

i had this so bad that i literally couldn't walk. it was after the birth of my daughter and much of her first weeks i spent in bed in horrific pain. after i lost weight and did the things above, i now live completely pain free and i've never had a problem with it again.

good luck :smile:
  • simplyjustme
    simplyjustme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lsuz
    lsuz Posts: 74
    Options
    Hi there -

I dealt with a bout of PF in from 2006-2007. Found the following product via a friend who had terrible foot pain. HTP inserts actually cured the PF in about 6 months. After 3, I felt really, really good. I only wear them from time to time, but really don't use them at all anymore. Stretching helps also. You can find some good stretches on the internet. But, I'd try the heel inserts. Honestly -- they were total magic for me and my friend. Good luck!

http://www.heel-that-pain.com/heel_seats.php
  • shelley8787
    Options
    Emily, there is a tension boot available at WalMart or drug stores, that you wear at night to stretch the flex of your foot. It takes a while to improve, so be patient.
  • kkdelduca
    kkdelduca Posts: 73
    Options
    The dr scholls inserts actually say it is for plantar fasciitis. I just bought some today caus they are also suppose to help with shin splints. So I don't know if they work but the package says it helps. It was $21, and its the active series for "athletes"
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Dansko shoes...expensive, but oh so worth it. I also have found that Birkenstock sandals work well for me. I don't like the style but when my feet don't hurt every day...totally worth it.

I found that after finding shoes that worked for me, just getting in exercise mode helped me. I haven't lost a lot of weight, but just exercising on a regular basis helped get my feet in shape.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Buy a large tub big enough for your feet to sit in.
    Fill it with sand.
    At night simply grind your feet into the sand.