Myth or fact: Your body stores water when its afraid it wont get any more later?

2»

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    RachNRoll wrote: »
    are you sure the bloating is due to water/lack of water? I don't think it's rare that people get bloated because of protein shakes, especially if you're lactose intolerant (which you might be, even if it's a mild intolerance - which is extremely common, actually).

I'm not bloating because of my protein shake, I ment I bloat whenever i start to drink water since I hardly/never drink water and I'm always dehydrated.

Stop being silly. You're dehydrated. Go drink more water. You NEED water. You may bloat temporarily, but that'll go away in a day or 2. Water weight is temporary. It's dangerous to not keep your body hydrated.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    So what you're saying is you'd rather stay dehydrated and damaging your body than risk adding a couple of pounds of water weight by drinking enough water....?

No of course not, I just want to know whether its true that your body holds onto water and stores it when you finally drink some after being dehydrated for so long

No, you are not a camel. Question answered now drink something already.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    JoeCWV wrote: »
    So what you're saying is you'd rather stay dehydrated and damaging your body than risk adding a couple of pounds of water weight by drinking enough water....?

No of course not, I just want to know whether its true that your body holds onto water and stores it when you finally drink some after being dehydrated for so long

No, you are not a camel. Question answered now drink something already.

Your kidneys will really appreciate it!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Your body does not anticipate. That being said if you are in a dehydrated state your body will sponge up what it can to compensate.

It can do that by....concentrating urine and stop sweating.

Then your body will overheat and you will have a whole new set of problems.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,920 Member
    edited August 2016
    Also, you're defeating purpose if you're not consuming enough water. Muscles need water for repair and growth (if that's your goal) and it will BYPASS utilizing water for this if you're not taking in enough to support normal function. Not completely, but muscle repair and growth won't be optimal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kaitbannonrun
    kaitbannonrun Posts: 19 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Also, you're defeating purpose if you're not consuming enough water. Muscles need water for repair and growth (if that's your goal) and it will BYPASS utilizing water for this if you're not taking in enough to support normal function. Not completely, but muscle repair and growth won't be optimal.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I actually read about that a while back, thanks for confirming though. Ill have to make sure I drink up after a run because I do notice my muscles seem to be a lot more exhausted and sore days after my runs. Another question if you don't mind, is it harder for the body to burn fat when your dehydrated and hardly drink especially if you sweat and run a lot?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited August 2016
    The posterior pituitary releases anti-diuretic hormone when you're dehydrated, and the adrenal cortex releases aldosterone, which helps you reabsorb sodium and H2O, so yes, when your blood volume gets low, your body hangs on to all the water that it can. You don't really store it up so much as conserve it, by inserting more water channels into the last part of the kidney tubules, so that water can flow out of the urine and be transferred back into the bloodstream. It's pretty *kitt'n* amazing actually.
  • kaitbannonrun
    kaitbannonrun Posts: 19 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Are you still there?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Are you still there?

You can tag him @ninerbuff. I'll also quote your other question for him:

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I actually read about that a while back, thanks for confirming though. Ill have to make sure I drink up after a run because I do notice my muscles seem to be a lot more exhausted and sore days after my runs. Another question if you don't mind, is it harder for the body to burn fat when your dehydrated and hardly drink especially if you sweat and run a lot?

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    Unlike fat which is the product of excess caloric consumption, I don't think it's possible for the human body to store "excess" water. All water consumed that is not used and retained by the body in some biophysical way is almost immediately expelled by urination perspiration or respiration. That's why people will die of dehydration long before starvation.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited August 2016
    If you are forgetting to drink water there are plenty of free apps that will send you reminders during the day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Your body hangs onto water if it's not getting enough now,
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    The one thing I've noticed if i don't drink water is that my weight loss slows or stops altogether! It's been cold and rainy here lately and i have completely stopped drinking plain water, i do however drink around 3L (100oz) of tea with milk everyday which is nothing new, except i also usually drink at least 1.5L of water along with it. They say fluids are fluids, be it tea/coffee/soda, but I'm not too sure about that judging by my results.