Replies

• wifeyy
    wifeyy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the tips!
  • irishmisst
    irishmisst Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Totally get where your coming from, do what I do pour washing up liquid over their left overs therefore tou cannot eat it
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is a hard thing for me! I just try not to finish off their plates. But it is a hard habit to get out of.
  • LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Why are you feeding your children junk food to begin with? Why establish a bad and unnecessary habit for them?

Why do you think macaroni and cheese is junk food? I make it from scratch for my daughter - pasta, milk or cheese aren't junk. Food is neither good or bad - it's fuel for our bodies. If you eat too much food, you can gain weight or have other negative health consequences. I am trying to teach my daughter that you can have any food in moderation within a healthy, balanced diet.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Yeah that can be an issue for me and my husband too. We usually just make them the same thing we eat though and they've grown to like most of it.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Why are you feeding your children junk food to begin with? Why establish a bad and unnecessary habit for them?

Because I'm not going to completely deprive my kids of yummy food just because some stuck up snob thinks the occasional box of mac and cheese for lunch means I'm completely destroying any future eating habits.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Do you have kids? Just curious, most harsh criticisms come from non-parents.

I am definitely not a fan of processed foods like boxed mac and cheese, sp.o's, I can't even think of the other American quick food crap we have, oh tater tots, fries, you get the picture. It's tasteless IMO, minus the vatt of salt most of that stuff is preserved with. I honestly think it numbs your palette. Once you quit consuming processed junk, you can't go back. It's too overwhelming and quickly your body will react with swelling, indigestion, etc.

As vehemently as I feel about most of the American diet, I'm a mother, and know my preference isn't everyone's preference. That moderation is key, that kids can break down your attitudes about a lot of things, and you become more flexible in ways you can't even imagine. It's a very complicated balance, which doesn't get any easier with elitist attitudes and judgements by other people, especially non-parents. If you're a mother, you should know better, if you're not, might want to take a moment to reflect on how imperfect you are.

OP, I make seperate meals. For some that's completely impractical. But like I said, I can't stomach the bland food my son prefers. I notice I pick at his food less if I have my own, and I like that he is more and more interested in my choices from the exposure. It works for us.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    My son is ASD with "restrictive dieting disorder", which is just being recognized but pretty common with spectrum children. If I ate what he ate I'd be huge and sick since his diet is grain heavy and I have allergies. We eat different things. He is also vegetarian, I'm not. A lot of nights he will have a sandwhich with a small dressing free salad while I have a large salad with 4-6oz of meat. Its just habit to eat different meals because we have been doing it so long. If you stick with it you will get used to it, if not just distribute the plates different. Have a small portion of the Mac with a large salad or steamed veggies as your main course and reverse the portions for the kids so the Mac is their main.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Usually we all eat the same things, just different portions, as others have said. I might skip the dinner roll, not butter my potatoes, and I always serve myself extra veg. Sometimes I have an entirely seperate meal. But it never fails- if I fix myself something different, they want that! Even if it's just deviled egg instead of hotdog or whatever. Lol.
  • LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

I am definitely not a fan of processed foods like boxed mac and cheese, sp.o's, I can't even think of the other American quick food crap we have, oh tater tots, fries, you get the picture. It's tasteless IMO, minus the vatt of salt most of that stuff is preserved with. I honestly think it numbs your palette. Once you quit consuming processed junk, you can't go back. It's too overwhelming and quickly your body will react with swelling, indigestion, etc.

As vehemently as I feel about most of the American diet, I'm a mother, and know my preference isn't everyone's preference. That moderation is key, that kids can break down your attitudes about a lot of things, and you become more flexible in ways you can't even imagine. It's a very complicated balance, which doesn't get any easier with elitist attitudes and judgements by other people, especially non-parents. If you're a mother, you should know better, if you're not, might want to take a moment to reflect on how imperfect you are.

OP, I make seperate meals. For some that's completely impractical. But like I said, I can't stomach the bland food my son prefers. I notice I pick at his food less if I have my own, and I like that he is more and more interested in my choices from the exposure. It works for us.

I don't understand how this became a parent vs non-parent debate. Since I became a parent, I've found non-parents to be understanding and kind. Judgemental parents, like you, are what creates an ugly environment for the other parents.

That's fabulous that you are against the American diet. I am sure you grow your own food and raise your own livestock. The rest of us deal with the world as it is and we try to teach our kids how to find balance and moderation in it.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    LLT38 wrote: »

I don't understand how this became a parent vs non-parent debate. Since I became a parent, I've found non-parents to be understanding and kind. Judgemental parents, like you, are what creates an ugly environment for the other parents.

That's fabulous that you are against the American diet. I am sure you grow your own food and raise your own livestock. The rest of us deal with the world as it is and we try to teach our kids how to find balance and moderation in it.

What are you talking about? And my response was to the lady that actually judged you, not me. Show me WHERE I judged you. Did you even read a single thing I said? How far off base you are is bewildering, ridiculous, and kind of hilarious.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Surely it's not the type of foods that's the issue here guys and gals, but being tempted by the leftovers. I cook separately and earlier for my children as they tell me they are ravenous when they come home from school, therefore the oven goes on at 4.20pm religiously. They eat what they enjoy, nothing fried, and they eat together and I sit with them with a large milky coffee laden with artificial sweetener to suppress my appetite. Hubby and I eat together much later once the children are in bed, this way I get to enjoy my food, all to myself, hot and without interruption ( mum I need a drink- wee- hug) . This is just works for me, regards to left overs, pizza crusts go to the birds, everything else usually eaten as I cook only enough for them, or straight in the bin. Good luck all. X