Getting really frustrated with the bathroom scales

Options
I don't know what the heck is wrong with them but I'll stand on them one minute and they'll say 40kg, 2 minutes later try again and it'll say 50kg. I make sure to put them on a non wobbly flat area of the floor.

What the heck is wrong with them? They're digital and not particularly old.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Batteries
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    One way to test to see if the battery is going dead is to get something you know the exact weight of, such as a small barbell, and weigh with then without it. Sometimes you can weigh the item without you needing to hold it, but my scale knows better and won't let me. If the reading is good, then move onto the next option.

Some scales need to be reset after use. They can do weird things if you don't. I do so by stepping only slightly on my scale, let it register a weight, then step on fully.

However, does it stay on the floor, or do you store it? Storing a scale up-right can lead to strange readings.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    One way to test to see if the battery is going dead is to get something you know the exact weight of, such as a small barbell, and weigh with then without it. Sometimes you can weigh the item without you needing to hold it, but my scale knows better and won't let me. If the reading is good, then move onto the next option.

Some scales need to be reset after use. They can do weird things if you don't. I do so by stepping only slightly on my scale, let it register a weight, then step on fully.

However, does it stay on the floor, or do you store it? Storing a scale up-right can lead to strange readings.

Might be the storing upright. There is no room on the bathroom floor to keep it down (tiny tiny bathroom) and it's a tripping hazard for my mum so they're stored upright. :/
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »

Might be the storing upright. There is no room on the bathroom floor to keep it down (tiny tiny bathroom) and it's a tripping hazard for my mum so they're stored upright. :/

You might want to figure out a new way to store it then. Scales are not meant to be stored upright. It will throw the readings off. So unless you change where it goes, it will continue to give you different readings.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Perhaps they need a new battery. Place them on a hard floor when weighing. Best to just weigh once.