Temporary weight goal?

Options
I have no idea what weight I want to be at so just wondering if anyone sets a goal and then reevaluate when you get there depending on wether you want to lose more or if you are happy at where you are?

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    That's what I did. Used an old weight I remembered being comfortable at then reevaluated when I got there. Ending up going 15lbs more
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    My short term goal is to get below 220. I cant remember the last time I saw that weight honestly. Long term goal is 100 lbs lost, 153, but we'll see.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Intermediate goals are fine, helpful and motivating as you achieve them and continue on.
  • formylover
    formylover Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i believe we almost all did ^^ no on know how much they really need to look unless they felt good at some point in there life and want to loose the weight they accumulated since then.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I have a couple different goals, and will readjust as I reach them and see where I am at and how I feel. I think short term goals help me feel more successful, and like I can do this!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Sure... Actually I don't have a goal, I just know that what I weigh now isn't healthy, so I need to reduce it. That's enough of a goal for now. Don't overthink it!!
  • MsSGriff
    MsSGriff Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose at least 30 lbs. and keep it off. I'm 5'3". I did lose 20 lbs. and gain it all right back. I lost 20 and stopped losing. I lost my motivation. Now that I'm starting over, I'm viewing this journey as a life style change versus a "diet". I want to lose at least 30 lbs., but if I lose 37 I'd be ecstatic. I also want to be mindful and make sure I don't loose too much. It's about finding a good balance.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    mabearof6 wrote: »
    I have a couple different goals, and will readjust as I reach them and see where I am at and how I feel. I think short term goals help me feel more successful, and like I can do this!

Yep, this. My overall goal is to lose around 70lbs or more, and that was too much to think about in one go so I broke it down into smaller milestones! Initially I just wanted to get below 200lbs, now I'm going for 10lb increments (or decrements really, I guess! ;) ). I'm currently working on staying in "overweight" territory rather than "obese", and I've been hovering on the borderline for about a month now so I'm taking a little break and then I'll get back to it. I'm still lighter than I have been in the past 8-9 years, so I feel good about that!

I'm aiming to reach around 150lbs at the moment, which is a little heavier than when I got married 27 years ago but I feel it's achievable. I'll reassess how I look and feel when I get there and decide if I want to go lower - I do have a particular dress that I loved and would like to fit into again, so that goal might require a few extra pounds off! :)

It's all about what's sustainable, really - if I get close to my goal and feel that it would be too much effort to lose more, then I'll have to decide whether I can be happy with a higher weight. (I'm hoping that the lighter I get the more active I'll become, too, so that might help!) Really, I just want to try and get into a healthy range and stay there, and if the actual scale number is a bit higher than I'd like then I'll have to live with that!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Yep. I never had a goal. I just lost until I was happy. That happens to be about 150 and 5'11. I started at 193 in 2011.

But to set a good "food" goal, you may want say you are 200 now and want to be 170...so you have an idea of what to eat to get there...as you get smaller your allowance decrease...

I encourage you to not try to lose more an 1lb a week. Some can do 1.5 or 2, but it's hard and strenuous and you'll give up before you get anywhere great...
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    All the time!
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    I agree. How would I possibly know or care what my body might like as a weight until I got very close to a healthy weight?? I didn't really choose my weight until I knew it was maintainable and I was close to that point. d
    If I have to "choose" something ahead of time I might just throw something out there in the "higher" range.