Eating too few calories? Or something else?

Options
akmomof7
akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So, started back to watching my eating on Sunday, so I know I am super early on in this process, but I am feeling SO bad, I have to switch something up. I am eating between 1500-1600 calories a day (I tried opening my diary so you guys could see, but all I am getting is a server error). I have cut out grains and added sugar, but I am eating dairy, beans, lots of veggies, so I am not going low carb, definitely lower than I usual go, but I am still getting some. Yesterday I was sitting at 130g of carbs, 109g of protien and 70g of fat to give you a ball park. The problem is, every time I stand up, I am light headed. I brought up some laundry from the basement and just carrying up the stairs left my heart pounding and me out of breath and tired. I am super tired, but I also have twins who don't sleep, so I have been sleep deprived since they were born 11 months ago, so this may not be a diet related thing. I am not exercising, except chasing around babies and my 3 year old, but I am breast feeding the twins. I am going to try upping my calories today, but anything else you think I should try to feel better?

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Edited because I responded to your original post, which was then edited...

Are you logging breastfeeding as exercise or giving yourself any extra calories to account for the calories you lose breastfeeding?
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Water, water, water. You need even more since you are breastfeeding. Try to drink 2 liters per day at least.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I'm assuming that you're picking accurate entries and don't have entries selected that have calories but no macro information. If you do have entries with only calories listed, this won't apply...

62g of carbs, 60g of protein and 31g of fat = 767 calories. That wouldn't be healthy if you were laying in bed all day, let alone breast-feeding twins and caring for three children. You're trying to drive your car at 90mph without putting any gas in, and you wonder why it's stalling out? You need to EAT, woman!

(Alternate advice...make sure you're choosing the most accurate entries, which have all macro information listed, and that you're using a food scale and logging all cooking oils, etc.)

I'm noticing inconsistency with what AliceDark's post says and with what the OP has posted now. OP has clearly gone back to edit (says it was edited 4 minutes ago) so her current macros listed were either incorrect at first or she has changed it for a different response. Just throwing that out there....
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Yea, I assumed that the 1600 calories were accurate
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    The symptoms you are having are related to under-eating. As a breast-feeding mom of twins, your caloric intake is way too low. If you continue, your supply will suffer, not to mention you could pass out while carrying your babies.

Up your calories and if your symptoms don't improve in a few days, consult your doctor.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're not eating extra cals for breastfeeding?
  • AliceDark
    Options
    I'm assuming that you're picking accurate entries and don't have entries selected that have calories but no macro information. If you do have entries with only calories listed, this won't apply...

62g of carbs, 60g of protein and 31g of fat = 767 calories. That wouldn't be healthy if you were laying in bed all day, let alone breast-feeding twins and caring for three children. You're trying to drive your car at 90mph without putting any gas in, and you wonder why it's stalling out? You need to EAT, woman!

(Alternate advice...make sure you're choosing the most accurate entries, which have all macro information listed, and that you're using a food scale and logging all cooking oils, etc.)

I'm noticing inconsistency with what AliceDark's post says and with what the OP has posted now. OP has clearly gone back to edit (says it was edited 4 minutes ago) so her current macros listed were either incorrect at first or she has changed it for a different response. Just throwing that out there....

Yeah, I went back and edited my original as well. I'm hoping it's that she just made a mistake and it isn't that she's trying to manage all of that on a VLCD. I think 1500-1600 is probably still pretty low if she's breastfeeding twins.
  • akmomof7
    Options
    Sorry, yeah, I accidentally posted the macros from my snacks and not my total, LOL. Mom brain at work!!
  • AliceDark
    Options
    akmomof7 wrote: »
    Sorry, yeah, I accidentally posted the macros from my snacks and not my total, LOL. Mom brain at work!!

Okay, good. I'm happy you're not trying to eat THAT few calories. I'd still add some extra to account for your breastfeeding. I think MFP will allow you to log it as a cardio exercise and then you'd eat back those calories; why not try that for 1-2 weeks and see if you feel better?
  • akmomof7
    Options
    akmomof7 wrote: »

Okay, good. I'm happy you're not trying to eat THAT few calories. I'd still add some extra to account for your breastfeeding. I think MFP will allow you to log it as a cardio exercise and then you'd eat back those calories; why not try that for 1-2 weeks and see if you feel better?

Yeah, I will definitely try that. I am not trying for a quick fix here, but I think I was underestimating the calories the babies are using up. It seems like they nurse such a small amount now that they are eating a bunch of solids, compared to the round the clock effort it once was, but apparently it's more than I thought!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Few questions:
    1. How tall are you?
    2. What's your current weight
    3. Age?
    2. How many pounds do you want to lose?
    3. What's your weekly weight loss goal set to?
  • akmomof7
    Options
    I am 5'6" and currently 163. I want to be around 145. I am 44. I think it is set to 1 lb. a week, but I would be fine losing .5 a week. My goal is less vanity, and more being healthy, energetic mom for a long time to this batch of kids (my older 4 are all out of the house and have started giving me grand kids, who I also want to enjoy for a long time!) I wasn't sure exactly what to put my activity level at because I have spent a LARGE part of the last year on my couch feeding babies, but now that they are crawling, getting ready to walk, I am sure that will change!!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    1600 +300 for breastfeeding, maybe 500 as twins

Plus drink lots and lots

And find ways to catch some sleep
  • ShrinkingScientist
    ShrinkingScientist Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would also look at your micros. Where are you at on iron and b12? Lightheadedness can also be a sign of anemia.
  • akmomof7
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    1600 +300 for breastfeeding, maybe 500 as twins

Plus drink lots and lots

And find ways to catch some sleep

I will try doing 1900 and raise it again depending on how I feel. I am drinking a bunch. The sleep is a real issue. One baby can sometimes be bad. Two is ridiculous. My plan is to night wean them after their first birthday, and hoping that will help (and hubby can help more!) Maybe we can each take a baby and I at least won't get tag teamed all night.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Def go with 1900 to start. I'm losing.5-1lb a week on 1800+ all my exercise cals bf'ing my (one!) 11 mo :smile: you need more calories to function and be a happy, healthy mom!
  • akmomof7
    Options
    I would also look at your micros. Where are you at on iron and b12? Lightheadedness can also be a sign of anemia.

Oh, this is a good point too. I tend to be anemic.