It's amazing how resilient our bodies are (feeling grateful)

kmsnyg
kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So, I came back to MFP after gaining 100 lbs in 18 months (yes, I realize that is insane and gross). I've been eating healthy for four months now (60 lbs down) after I went to the dentist and they took my blood pressure and told me I had high blood pressure. This, of course, terrified me, as I'm not even 40 yet and because I work in the medical field (surg pathologist) and know all of the risks my morbid obesity carries. And before I went to the dentist, I avoided the doctor like the plague, because I was too scared to find out what damage I had done to my body.

Anyway, the high blood pressure forced me to see my primary care physician (after avoiding them for over 3 years), and they did the whole workup (cholesterol, hemoglobin A1C, lipid profile, liver function tests, EKG and echocardiogram) and thankfully everything came back normal.

Why am I sharing this with a bunch of people who don't know me and don't care? Because, as a morbidly obese woman, I avoided my doctor like the plague and caused myself so much anxiety thinking of all the things I thought I had...diabetes, high cholesterol, fatty liver disease, heart disease. Turns out, my body is more resilient than I thought. I'm so lucky that I've been given a second chance. Honestly, I thought I was a medical train wreck, and it turns out I can still turn my health around by continuing to lose weight and exercise. And my doctor, who is awesome, has been nothing but supportive (so if yours isn't, find a better one, because they do exist!)

So if any of you are like me, and are scared to see your doctor because you are scared of being judged or scared to find out the results, please don't put it off. I feel like my dentist saved my life by forcing me to see my pcp, because if I waited, I might not be so lucky. I am so thankful for my very resilient body (woot, my pancreas and liver are tough little buddies!)

Replies

• Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    My story is somewhat similar to yours. I went to my Dr last year when I had just started my journey to get a full physical. Although I was obese, all of my numbers came back normal. My cholesterol was slightly elevated (30 points high) but with me beginning to workout, I didn't have to take any medication. Everyone should get a physical to see where they stand. If something is off, it's best to catch it early before it gets out of control.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    My story is a little different. I was obese (75 to 80 lbs. over weight) and started to develop health issues. I developed diverticulitis and after almost 2 years and about a dozen times in the hospital (at least 2 of which I was sepsis), I wound up having to get surgery to remove about 8 inches of my colon. During the pre-screening for my surgery, they told me I had COPD and a small part of the bottom of my heart was slightly enlarged. They said I could have had a mini heart attack at some point. I have also had blood clotting issues and am on blood thinners. My blood work was always screwed up.

All the doctors told me I had to start exercising and lose weight or it would not be good for me at all. They recommended walking for exercise, so that's what I started doing after recovering from the surgery.

I have lost over 50 lbs. so far and can power walk at a very fast pace (4 to 4.5 mph) for about 10 miles. I recently had all my blood work done (about 4 pages of tests) and every one of them came back normal. my resting heart rate used to be in the 80's, and now it's in the 60's, and my blood pressure is right on the mark.

My doctor calls me his success story...:)

I think a healthy body weight is more than just counting calories, but getting to a good enough fitness level to allow the body to maintain a healthy weight all by itself.

I recently started mixing jogging in with my power walking. I jog for 2 minutes and power walk for 2 minutes, and I do this for about 3 or more miles per session. My first goal is to be able to jog for an hour non stop.

Yes the human body is pretty resilient...:)
  • mullaneywt
    mullaneywt Posts: 28 Member
    +1 on avoiding the doctor to not hear what they wanted to say, eventually going, and finding out it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I did end up having to have surgery (hernia), but even that was somewhat unremarkable.