Ideas for bag lunch vegetables

Hi all, I was hoping for some ideas here. I've been including a fruit or vegetable serving with every meal for the last couple months. However, I've kinda noticed that with the exception of dinner (and very rarely breakfast), it tends to always be fruit instead of vegetables. I figure it's due to the fact most fruits are easily grab and go and don't need to be cooked. I'd just like some options to take to work that are vegetables instead, on occasion. I work in an office and we have a fridge and a microwave, if that helps. Thanks!

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I like to put hummus in the bottom of a mason jar then fill with carrot sticks, cucumber, mangetout, celery or whatever else I find to dip in the hummus and all in one jar.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Tub of salad greens. Salad in general. Roasted veg (peppers, courgette, aubergine etc - these freeze quite well, too)

Or veg soup.

Saw a girl chomping on a whole cucumber like a chocolate bar, this afternoon :D
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Hmm... i'm clearly gonna need to learn how to make some veggie soup! :) I usually don't think about soup or salad because I don't find them filling on their own, but if it was a side with my meal it might work better. I like the mason jar idea too, although I'd probably go with a nut butter instead of hummus (not a chickpea fan haha).
  • samg092
    samg092 Posts: 8 Member
    I always have snap peas and carrots available right away to grab. For me they're the most portable. I also try to include cut up sweet peppers, maybe kale chips or roasted sweet potatoes.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    My favorite vegetables for raw consumption is cucumber, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, rutabaga, beets and romanesco. I chop them into sticks/pieces. I don't eat them on their own, but as part of a meal.

Soup or other leftovers that include vegetables is also a great idea. I was going to suggest thermos, but you have a microwave :D

Please don't let vegetables squeeze out the fruit, that would make me so sad :#
  • fireytiger
    My favorite vegetables for raw consumption is cucumber, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, rutabaga, beets and romanesco. I chop them into sticks/pieces. I don't eat them on their own, but as part of a meal.

Soup or other leftovers that include vegetables is also a great idea. I was going to suggest thermos, but you have a microwave :D

OMG no way, lol! :) I don't think I could ever quit fruit, I've always loved it even as a kid. I just know that with the end of summer coming, fresh fruits are going to be less available and there's something about frozen fruit that's just... mneh to me. Most of the vegetables that are available year round are things i'll eat, and I don't mind frozen veggies at all.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    For a filling salad as your lunch, you can do spinach, cucumber, cherry tomatoes with a protein and if it fits, a bit of cheese and a dressing of your choice. Lots of vitamins and minerals, multiple servings of vegetables, and a fair amount of protein which is always good!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Zip Lock Zip'n Steam bags bags are great for lunches (bags are used several times). I can cut up a little cauliflower, or some fresh green beans, and cook these in 3 minutes. I'll buy a head of cauliflower & bring a 1/4 every day.

I like a non-lettuce salad of matchstick carrots, sliced celery, and thawed green peas (thawed French style green beans work as well). Just toss on a couple Tbl. of Newman's Light Sesame Ginger dressing.

Snap peas, carrot chips, red pepper strips and cucumber don't need any dip - but Greek yogurt makes a nice base if you like dips.

You can't go wrong with bagged salad. I like add-ins such as protein, cheese, nuts or even fruit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    fireytiger wrote: »

OMG no way, lol! :) I don't think I could ever quit fruit, I've always loved it even as a kid. I just know that with the end of summer coming, fresh fruits are going to be less available and there's something about frozen fruit that's just... mneh to me. Most of the vegetables that are available year round are things i'll eat, and I don't mind frozen veggies at all.

I realize more and more that being Norwegian has its perks. We don't live here for the weather :# but we import a lot of fresh and delicious fruit and vegetables, all year round. Pomegranates and pomelos, tangerines and chestnuts, are winter fruits here; plums and corn has a long season; fresh berries (real berries, not plastic-y) are only available in a short summer window; figs and apricots, nectarines and peaches are also summer fruit, but for longer; loquats and khaki in spring - everything else is accessible every day if we want it - apples, pears, melons, oranges, mango, grapes, bananas, pineapple, passion fruit, and many others.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I see that Edamame beans haven't been mentioned. I buy them frozen and put a serving in a snack size ziploc. They are defrosted by snack time.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger wrote: »

I realize more and more that being Norwegian has its perks. We don't live here for the weather :# but we import a lot of fresh and delicious fruit and vegetables, all year round. Pomegranates and pomelos, tangerines and chestnuts, are winter fruits here; plums and corn has a long season; fresh berries (real berries, not plastic-y) are only available in a short summer window; figs and apricots, nectarines and peaches are also summer fruit, but for longer; loquats and khaki in spring - everything else is accessible every day if we want it - apples, pears, melons, oranges, mango, grapes, bananas, pineapple, passion fruit, and many others.

I'd absolutely move to Scandinavia if I thought I could afford to make a move like that, as well as make it through immigration requirements. Not because of the fruit, although that's definitely a perk I didn't think/know of lol.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    ouryve wrote: »
    Saw a girl chomping on a whole cucumber like a chocolate bar, this afternoon :D

Hahaha! My daughter eats bell peppers like apples!

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Bell peppers (green, red, orange and yellow) hold up very in a ziplock bag after being cut up. They last for days. Delicious alone or dipped in hummus is spicy guacamole.