Dinner rituals

Options
Hello All!

I was wondering if anyone had a ritual before, during, or after dinner that they find helps them enjoy their food and notice their hunger?

I.E. Even if it's just taking a shower and changing clothes beforehand. Thanks!

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    No, I don't have any in particular. I cook, serve, eat, wash, clean up the kitchen, log (if a remember and/or feel like it), and seat down to watch TV with my husband. I serve desert about 45 to 60 minutes after I am down with dinner because I don't go to bed until almost to midnight.

Why do you ask?
  • zumbagirl2526
    zumbagirl2526 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    No, I don't have any in particular. I cook, serve, eat, wash, clean up the kitchen, log (if a remember and/or feel like it), and seat down to watch TV with my husband. I serve desert about 45 to 60 minutes after I am down with dinner because I don't go to bed until almost to midnight.

Why do you ask?

I was curious because I wonder if there are more short cuts out there to eating less or enjoying your food more. Thanks for sharing your routine!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't have a ritual, other than i'm done eating and dishes are done by 6pm every night.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I have evening food rituals. I eat a low calorie dinner, but high volume. I try to wait until 7:30 to eat it, then at 9:00 I have another small meal or treat, and at 10 another. Between dinner and the first dessert I have a non-caffeinated diet drink.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I drink a full glass of water with my meal. That is pretty much the only thing I always do.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    I exercise before I eat dinner.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'll shower and change clothes before dinner parties, not everyday dinners - that sounds just... strange. The "just" makes it sound even stranger. But:

I wait until I'm hungry before I eat. I prepare the meal, and serve myself. I look forward to eating. I eat what I like, and like what I eat. I notice that the food is gone from my plate and that I go from "hungry" to "not hungry".

ETA: There really are no "short cuts"; mindful eating takes time and patience and practice. But eating smaller portions can indeed feel more enjoyable, as long as you overate before, and you're not starving yourself now.
  • kimadm4
    kimadm4 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't think your question and example are strange at all. I agree with you zumbagirl that a routine of any sort could be a great way to set the stage for being mindful. I don't have one currently, but now that you mention it, I'm going to implement one. Maybe lighting a dinner candle every night could serve as the mindfulness reminder.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I notice that the time I spend preparing my dinner, which stretches out to an hour or more, enhances the feeling that my food is well-deserved.
  • dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of lightning a candle. It will make it more special.

One thing I do is try to remember to put my fork down after every bite. This helps me eat slower and helps me taste what I am eating. I have a tendency to eat very fast.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    We eat dinner together as a family and have a conversation while we eat.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i do my workouts at night before dinner and save majority of my calories for dinner. Its my favorite meal.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Some people are going to balk at this, I'm sure, and it's not exactly a ritual... but the cat insists on *always* sitting in my lap when I have dinner. I just let her do it. At least this way I have company even when husband works late or is gone to therapy.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I cook most meals so the ritual is food prep, cook, serve, put away leftovers, clean, then put feet up with a mug of tea and a bowl of cracker chips, which is the psychological signal that the days eating is over!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I don't do it often enough, but sitting at the table, no tv, maybe some music or company helps me be mindful. Also spending time planning and cooking with love tends to make me enjoy my food more.
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't have a ritual, but I log my food as I put it on my plate. This helps me make sure that I am not going over my goal for the day. I log the vegetables first so I will eat more of them than the other items.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Basic stuff -- sit down, eat off a plate, talk to each other if I'm eating with someone else, serve up the amount I intend to eat and put the food away (I don't do seconds), eat mindfully and enjoy what I'm eating, try to make the presentation nice.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    My kids' nightly ritual of spilling and/or dropping something certainly helps me eat less. :wink:
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The only ritual I have associated with meals is the dogs get to lick any molecules remaining off the dishes whenever there was a sauce/liquid component to the meal.

Horrible, spoiled, dogs have I. :)

But it does guarantee I don't have seconds on that plate/bowl now that I think about it. XD