How long till the brain recognises the smaller me?

Options
2»

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I've only lost 17 lb and I think I should be much smaller when I look in the mirror. I try on clothes and expect them to hang on me and they don't :). Ha I have a long way to go too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    If you were blind, and only felt your body before and after, then it would definitely register. With the mirror, it's not the weight your seeing, it's something else. This usually has to do with an esteem issue and how you think others view you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ThePrettyHateMachine
    Options
    I am right in line with you, 49 lbs down. Thankfully I rarely ditch clothes. Friday night movie date, trying on jeans, come across a pair that I've NEVER fit in. MIL tries but has no clue about sizes. Lol. I'd been so used to the 26's falling off me that a SLIM fit pair of 24's was more than my brain could handle. I was convinced I was going to have a wardrobe malfunction. Took my husband 10+ minutes of coaching to get me to leave in those jeans. I realize now: it was a mental battle to get this big. It will be a mental battle to believe I'm any smaller & that's ok. One day at a time sister. ❤️

SW: 310+
    CW: 261
    GW: 150
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I'm down almost 100 lbs. I stare at my size 8 clothing and wonder if I'm going to burst them. I saw my sister, who is closer to my old size, and thought she and I still look the same weight the one thing I know it's I will not let myself ever slip back there.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! You're looking great: Neck more slender, shoulders squarer, sleeker midsection. Impressive - keep up the wonderful work!

I absolutely can relate to the "brain catching up" thing. I've lost 60-some pounds, been maintaining for around 5 months, and I'm also not there yet mentally/psychologically

The other day, I was walking down the hall at the Y. A fitness instructor I know only slightly was coming toward me, so I automatically swung my duffle behind me, and moved toward the wall. He joked, "I'm really not that big!" (he's for sure not, very slender runner-type guy). I laughed and said "I know; I'm still used to me being that big!".

My clothes look ridiculously tiny. Taking the right clothes to the fitting room while shopping is an effort of will. I still catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror sometimes out in public and don't recognize me.

It has improved some, I'm feeling more in tune with my actual size than I did at first, but it's going to take time!

You're doing so, so well - don't worry, your brain will eventually catch up!
  • WordWhisperer
    WordWhisperer Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have actually been checking my reflection in mirrors I don't own, to see if the surprise hourglass figure I saw in my own mirror one day was some kind of a glitch.

It's like all the mirrors have been replaced with those wavy funhouse kinds. Confusing, endlessly confusing.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I can really relate to this: I lost 55 lbs this year and sometimes I do not recognise the guy in the mirror, it is almost a shock. Then there is this silly fear that one day I wake up and the fat me is back. First time I realised it is really the new me is when I went to buy a new wardrobe. It felt great :-) Congratulations to you for getting to where you are now. You look fab!

The sad thing for me, even after losing 95 pounds, that every day when I wake up the fat(ter) me is back. Every day I start over in my mind.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    I can really relate to this: I lost 55 lbs this year and sometimes I do not recognise the guy in the mirror, it is almost a shock. Then there is this silly fear that one day I wake up and the fat me is back. First time I realised it is really the new me is when I went to buy a new wardrobe. It felt great :-) Congratulations to you for getting to where you are now. You look fab!

The sad thing for me, even after losing 95 pounds, that every day when I wake up the fat(ter) me is back. Every day I start over in my mind.
    Same for me, it upsets me sometimes.