Because I am annoyed - What Is The Point?

Options
1235»

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I've got my mom on an lb/week weight loss plan. Two years ago she was over 500 lbs, when her disability ended her mobility. At first I didn't log any of her food, I just refused to bring her anything as a "treat" between meals besides an apple or banana. In April my dad got in board with the diet thing (finally) when she was hospitalized and he found out she wore 415 lbs. She'd progressed to having difficulty standing it assistance (lots of problems going on besides the weight... Including endogenous Cushings). Now we weigh and log (almost) everything for her.

Ma's having a hard time adjusting mentally though. First, her alloted 2k calories a day goes very fast because she was getting 3k before April. So she feels constantly deprived, even though she gets more food than I do. But she also swings wildly between demanding more food (and complaining that I'm a tyrant) to unnecessarily forgoing both healthy foods and treats that fit her budget because she thinks dieting HAS to be miserable. I never understood how deeply her mother's attitudes towards foods and her experiences as a young nurse had scarred my mom until now. For her, the whole food and overeating and dieting thing is emotionally traumatic in a way that it just wasn't for me.

But the mechanics is just as simple for both of us. Eat a deficit, lose weight. And the numbers are working, too. As of her last weigh-in (2 weeks ago at therapy), she was 385. I wish we could've gotten her on this four years ago when she had her first stroke, but watching her fight it every day when now I have to sadly admit she just couldn't and can't see through her emotional trauma.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    LokiGrrl wrote: »
    I've been seeing a lot of threads on this forum where people talk about how it was so easy for them to lose weight and there were no issues and it required very few changes and was no challenge and they eat whatever the hell they want and keep losing weight and everything is so goddamn great they're practically living on the moon.

I don't understand the point of posting these threads on the General Diet and Weight Loss Help forum. Perhaps they'd be appropriate for the Success Stories forum? Otherwise, to me, it just seems like crowing about how awesome you are, which is not helpful.

I admit I have a jaundiced eye toward this sort of thing, but I think it's counterproductive, and I don't have a lot of patience for people who post that sort of thing on this particular forum. Possibly I'm just a grumpy *kitten*, and if so I'll STFU, but I'd like to see more general diet and weight loss help.

It's easy if you want it to be easy, and hard if you want it to be hard.
    It seems like many people want to to be hard. They have been a bad girl or a bad boy for gaining weight, and must now punish themself for months with a strict diet.

Should they cave in, and eat some forbidden food, they beat themself up and think they are a terrible person.

You may be one of these persons.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    ivylyon wrote: »
    While we're having a whinge ;-)
    I get sick of the threads that along the lines of "post something about the person above" in the general help forum. I don't see the point of these threads anyway and especially not if they are in the general feed, but, hey ho.

Are you sure it's not in the chitchat section? I've blocked it, so i don't see any of it anymore.

How do you block chitchat? Yes, these threads on the side are annoying.

@biggsterjackster I think you can only do it from you computer. If you hover the mouse over the name of each sub forum, a gear icon will appear to the right, click on that and "unfollow".

Thanks so much
  • Jhartling87
    Jhartling87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know you may not want to hear this and I've never posted anything about it "being easy" before because I have struggled like most people here for the last 10 yrs with gaining losing the same 30 ish lbs. However, like others have said IT IS EASY!! It may be hard mentally and to get motivation to stick to eating less than maintenance but if you do - losing weight is NOT hard. I still eat pizza and candy, heck I had a cheeseburger last night and it all fit into my calories and I've lost about 25 lbs in the last 6 months (not fast but I was only about 150 to start)
    For me personally, I feel like weight loss has been 90% mental and getting my head around the fact that I can't just eat whatever I want without making sure it fits into my calories. With that being said, I do realize there is medical reasons why some may not find it this way but overall as "normal" healthy individual.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I think part of the "easy" tone you may hear is just that once it finally clicks for people and they make the right habits and have the right mindset they aren't fighting themself so much. It isn't so much of a battle as it used to be. Compared to what they used to do to TRY to lose weight, what they are doing to succeed at losing and maintaining weight loss is easy, but they did a lot of hard work and mental training to make it that way.