Ways to moderately reduce bad carbs....

Options
I want to watch my carb intake but to do so moderately...any tips/tricks would be much appreciated. I love bread/potatoes, etc.:( TIA!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What is bad carbs? What do you mean by watch intake? You can set your food diary to track carbs. If you want to reduce the intake of something, eat less of it. Maybe I'm just thick, but I don't understand the problem or if there is a problem.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    First of all, they aren't "bad carbs", they're just carbs. Start by reducing your portion size/frequency of starchy carbs. If you have a sandwich with bread for lunch, don't have cereal for breakfast AND pasta for dinner. You have to compromise a little.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a bad carb but if you want to reduce carbs just eat less of them. Replace bread the odd days with a side salad, replace white mashed potatoes with mashed swede etc.
    I love potatoes and nothing would make them reduce them, eating them with their skins on is one of my favourite ways to get extra fibre in my diet.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    For bread I eat Killer Daves bread 60 calories a slice. For potatoes I have one high calorie day a week and that's when I eat potatoes. During my lower calorie days I sometimes make mashed califlower to sub for potatoes. La Tortilla Factory has low carb tortillas that are only 50 calories, I'm not sure of the carb count because I don't really watch my carbs to much. Hope that helps!
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash, cauliflower rice, eggplant zucchini
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't consider bread/potatoes "bad carbs," but some easy options: eat a smaller serving and more of other foods. I am not tempted to overeat potatoes, but when losing weight I measured out what seemed a reasonable serving (say, 70 g raw) and then made sure the rest of my meal was based around lean meat and vegetables. Or I might have potatoes or something similar (sweet potatoes, pasta, grains) on some days and on others replace with root veg like turnips and carrots or winter squash, which have a similar feel but fewer calories/carbs (not that carbs was a thing for me).

For pasta (I don't really eat that much bread), same thing -- I'd have a smaller serving of pasta and more veg and lean meat (which always make up my toppings/sauce). Or I'd sometimes replace pasta with spaghetti squash or some other winter squash. For bread, like I said, I don't eat it that much since I'm picky about it, but if I liked something better on its own I wouldn't make a sandwich just because sandwiches are conventional. Usually I like a burger without a bun just as well, but sometimes I do want a bun (homemade burger here). If I had a bun I had it in place of a starch course like potatoes, since they are the same type of course. I'd have vegetables with it, of course. I have not excluded white flour from my diet, but when possible I do try to eat whole grain instead of white (often it's tastier anyway).

Stuff like that.

I think focusing on what is a reasonable portion can be the easiest change.