New to fitness

Options
Hi there, I've been on the site for a couple of days and am getting my head wrapped around the habit of tracking food. I want to start formulating goals for fitness and exercise. Where I'm at right now is walking 30 minutes every morning for a little over a mile and a quarter. The pace is about 3 mph which for my size is hoofing it.

I'd like to add strength training and stretching. My fear with strength training is possibly injuring myself or not doing effective exercises. I can't afford a personal trainer. Can anyone suggest a good beginners book or DVD? Like super beginner :laugh:

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738

This book is all you need as far as strength training. It's got the basics that you need. Strength training is very important to your health, far more important than cardio. That's not to say that cardio isn't good, but strength training is number 1
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Any of the New Rules of Lifting Books (well....except the Abs one) are a great place for a novice to get started.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    jefit.com has a lot of good tracking and information resources for a beginner lifter. It would be a good tool, in conjunction with either of the books suggested.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738

This book is all you need as far as strength training. It's got the basics that you need. Strength training is very important to your health, far more important than cardio. That's not to say that cardio isn't good, but strength training is number 1
    +1
  • soserene
    soserene Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking the first steps! A DVD by Jillian Michaels may not be a bad idea. I've done her 30 minute yoga meltdown and it's got the stretching aspects of yoga mixed with more dynamic movements to build endurance and strength. Body weight training is a great place to start. She also has 30 day shred which has great modifications for beginners and is more circuit based. When I added strength to my routine, I immediately saw a difference and know you will too. Good luck! And feel free to add me for extra support.
  • Melina48
    Melina48 Posts: 7
    Options
    I actually have a friend who is a personal trainer & also has her Master's in sports nutrition... and she gave me a cool website when I started... it has workouts and stuff for like if you have equipment, if you only have 30 minutes to exercise, if you just use your own body weight, beginners, etc. Hope it helps to spark some ideas!

http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/ACEfit-workouts/
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Use your library, it's cheaper. My husband and I read a lot about fitness and exercise. We have found just because a book is new doesn't mean it's any different. You just want to learn about the different muscles, what exercises effect them, and how to perform the exercise properly so you don't hurt yourself. It's not something you will pick up overnight, but it is possible. If you go to a gym you can ask questions of the trainers with out an appointment, just don't bring a list. I've ask how I can work my shoulders with out hurting my tennis elbow further. They gave me some simple instruction and I was on my way.

New rules is a good series of books. They have one specifically for women. It's very good, especially to start.

It all takes time. Enjoy yourself and your new transition. I've been at this for three years now, and I went from hating the gym and exercise to looking forward to it.