Sodium.

Options
Is it good or bad??

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    You'd die without it so my vote is for good.

What he said.
  • hulkfitdonuts
    hulkfitdonuts Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I saw an article saying it is very important but they were talking about taking huge amounts. Says it helps joints and whatnot
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    If you don't have high blood pressure, a little extra sodium is probably fine. If you do, then sticking to the recommended limits is probably a good idea. Overall, we as a nation eat a lot of sodium. I go over sodium often, but after tracking it for the last 15 months, I have a pretty good idea that I ate a LOT more sodium before. Probably easily double the recommendations on a daily basis.

I'm not an expert, but for myself, I like to keep an eye on it, but I don't necessarily restrict it. For my husband who has extremely high BP and who is working on hopefully reducing/possibly getting off meds, it's a different story. We do find it difficult to stay under the recommendations, even with fresh, whole foods, but it's a work in progress. At the very least, like me, he's consuming a lot less.

Salt can actually raise blood pressure, so you don't have to already have high bp for it to effect you. Plus there can be no symptoms of high bp so unless you get it checked regularly you may not even know you have it and constantly over eating salt could be making it worse.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    If you don't have high blood pressure, a little extra sodium is probably fine. If you do, then sticking to the recommended limits is probably a good idea. Overall, we as a nation eat a lot of sodium. I go over sodium often, but after tracking it for the last 15 months, I have a pretty good idea that I ate a LOT more sodium before. Probably easily double the recommendations on a daily basis.

I'm not an expert, but for myself, I like to keep an eye on it, but I don't necessarily restrict it. For my husband who has extremely high BP and who is working on hopefully reducing/possibly getting off meds, it's a different story. We do find it difficult to stay under the recommendations, even with fresh, whole foods, but it's a work in progress. At the very least, like me, he's consuming a lot less.

Salt can actually raise blood pressure, so you don't have to already have high bp for it to effect you. Plus there can be no symptoms of high bp so unless you get it checked regularly you may not even know you have it and constantly over eating salt could be making it worse.

Mine's been checked regularly. I've been weighing in monthly at the doctor since starting my weight loss. It's fine. I could mainline caffeine, and it would still be fine. I went from 160/90 before losing weight to borderline normal after losing 10-15% to 110/60 without changing my salt habits. Less stuff from a box, though, so my overall sodium consumption went down quite a bit.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    there is no magic to Himalayan pink salt...

Agreed, except for the flavor. It's yummy! Tastes less salty than table salt for the same amount.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    there is no magic to Himalayan pink salt...

Agreed, except for the flavor. It's yummy! Tastes less salty than table salt for the same amount.

I use Morton's Lite salt for that very reason. 55% potassium chloride, 45% sodium chloride (roughly), and doesn't cost an absurd amount. Still iodized as well, and doesn't taste quite as salty, so to speak.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Easy to check if you have hypertension. If you do, talk to a doctor and see if you should avoid salt. If you don't, I wouldn't sweat it.

Speaking of sweat, if you do endurance athletics, you need to make sure to eat enough salt - people who go on long endurance activities are prone to low blood sodium, which unlike high blood sodium can lead to an emergency requiring immediate attention.
  • grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The thing that I notice about salt: eating at restaurants, they tend to oversalt the food; and I'll retain water and gain a pound the next day, even though I've eaten within my calorie allotment. It's just water, it goes away; but clearly my body reacts to too much of it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    too much can be bad...too little is bad (it's an essential electrolyte)...as with most things, the truth is somewhere in between. Also, the more active you are, the more you would need. I had major issues when I first got started with this good livin' stuff and tried to avoid sodium while doing a bunch of endurance work...cramps like crazy...upped the sodium and that fixed that problem.
  • bshrom
    bshrom Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    OK in moderation. I thought I was having to much salt so I decided to do a little experiment and didn't put any extra salt on my food for 2 days and I lost 4 pounds. That right there tells me that I was retaining water from way to much salt. So as I said ok in moderation.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you get and your condition.
    It occurs naturally in many foods. You may be surprised.
    It is easy to eat a high sodium diet. It is harder to eat a very, very low sodium diet.
    It is probably best to moderate your intake.
    I have never read that a high sodium intake (above 2,300 mg a day) really helps anyone.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Salt is essential. Too much can be deadly. Like so many things in nature, it's a balancing act.

I'd doubt the claims of those authors who suggest that super-salting will help with "joints and whatnot".