Sodium.

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Depends on how much you get and your condition.
    It occurs naturally in many foods. You may be surprised.
    It is easy to eat a high sodium diet. It is harder to eat a very, very low sodium diet.
    It is probably best to moderate your intake.
    I have never read that a high sodium intake (above 2,300 mg a day) really helps anyone.

It does those of us in a fat adapted state, who have extremely high water cycling, due to a near total lack of glycogen stores. I generally pee somewhere between 15-16 times per day. Also just had a fun Sodium crash in the gym, including dizziness, numb face, severe cramps etc. Got home thirty minutes later feeling like death, put down 4300 grams of Sodium in some Menudo, and within five minutes, I'm ready to head back to the gym.
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    We all need to consume a certain amount of sodium. So I'd say good that being said anything in excess is bad for you.
  • kinesiologic
    kinesiologic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Like most things, it's a matter of moderation -- even water can kill you if you drink too much. Sodium is super important for physiological functions - like nerve impulses and regulating body fluids.

The better question is "How much sodium is too much?" -- which is a ripe debate. The Canadian food guide suggests 3400 mg/day. The value, as a dietician friend stated, is actually considered to be a toxic dose. Adults should actually aim for 1500 mg/day.

The reason for the high number is that we get SO much sodium in our food that 1500 mg/day is widely unrealistic. In making health recommendations, the experts have to balance both the scientific facts and what's possible for people to do. Right now, it's felt that most people can manage 3400 mg/day. With time, advocacy, and regulation, hopefully we'll see that number shrink.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Its an essential element. Don't waste any hand wringing over salts!

Cramps, fainting spells and dizziness can be caused by LOW sodium levels. Balance sodium with potassium, electrolytes are important.

Heat, high activity, undereating are reasons to increase sodium usually.

edit add: if you are doing low carb, extra salt may be necessary.
  • N_G_H
    N_G_H Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Most days on MFP I am way under on my sodium. Not sure how to increase it and also not sure if it's causing any problems not getting my RDI. Any thoughts?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    For those on a Standard American Diet: For many many years, study after study was published showing a correlation between a high sodium diet and an increased risk of heart disease. Also, for many many years, studies were published showing a correlation between a low potassium diet and in increased risk of heart disease. Finally, after many decades of the media picking up on the sodium studies and telling everyone to avoid sodium, a study was done that looked at both sodium and potassium (I don't have th details handy, but shouldn't be too hard to find). The result was that those who ate high levels of sodium did not exhibit the same increase in heart disease risk if their potassium levels were also high. Likewise, those with low sodium intake and very low potassium intake still had a high risk of heart disease. As it turns out, it isn't necessarily high sodium that increases your risk for heart disease - it is a high ratio of sodium to potassium.

For those of us on very low carb diets: Sodium is essential and necessary in large quantities. I know about the short-term problems of low sodium for us, but haven't seen any research on long-term effects of taking in sufficient sodium to avoid "keto flu" in the short term. I would be interested if anyone is aware of such research because I plan to continue a low carb diet for probably a majority of the remainder of my life.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Like most things, it's a matter of moderation -- even water can kill you if you drink too much. Sodium is super important for physiological functions - like nerve impulses and regulating body fluids.

The better question is "How much sodium is too much?" -- which is a ripe debate. The Canadian food guide suggests 3400 mg/day. The value, as a dietician friend stated, is actually considered to be a toxic dose. Adults should actually aim for 1500 mg/day.

The reason for the high number is that we get SO much sodium in our food that 1500 mg/day is widely unrealistic. In making health recommendations, the experts have to balance both the scientific facts and what's possible for people to do. Right now, it's felt that most people can manage 3400 mg/day. With time, advocacy, and regulation, hopefully we'll see that number shrink.

Can you post a link to the Canada Food Guide that says 3400 mg sodium? All I can find is 2300 mg as a recommendation.
  • kinesiologic
    kinesiologic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ah! My apologies ... That was me not reading carefully enough. The national average for sodium consumption is 3400 mg/day. The current goal is 2300 mg/day.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/sodium/index-eng.php

Recommendations by age group here: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/nutrients/sodium/sodium-basics.html
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    It's delicious, one of my great food crushes; I sweat lots, my BP is fine, I get silly big amounts of potassium in the form of veggies & fruits . . . so I vote "good", for me.

I think it's one of those n=1, and within reason, things . . . so you need to decide for you.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    One of my office mates changed her diet to lose weight. She was feeling tired and went to the doc. He told her that her sodium levels were too low and to up her intake immediately.

Opposite of the problem most have .
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    your muscles will literally not work without Na

Or your brain.

Acute hyponatremia and associated cerebral oedema tends to follow a confusion, seizure, coma, death trajectory unless reversed.

It's more about the ratio of sodium to water in the blood though ... even for the blood pressure relationship.

Osmotic pressure across a semi permeable membrane; water follows salt and all that.

*most* people should be eating within the recommended guidelines (even if they don't have hypertension).

Some people - example heart failure patients - may needs a greater sodium restriction to manage their fluid balance. Others - for example those on medications or with medical condition that cause low sodium - may need to include more dietary salt.

For anyone in any doubt about their sodium needs, have your electrolytes checked by your doctor and ask what sodium intake is relevant to you.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    If I don't get at least 2,000 mg sodium a day, I get terrible migraines and my already low blood pressure drops into dangerous territory pretty fast.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    N_G_H wrote: »
    Most days on MFP I am way under on my sodium. Not sure how to increase it and also not sure if it's causing any problems not getting my RDI. Any thoughts?

The number is supposed to be a max, not a minimum. You are unlikely to be getting too little if you feel fine. The body regulates it normally and it's probably not uncommon to get more than you think, also.

If you are concerned it's super easy to get more, though. Add some salt. I add it in cooking but don't bother logging it since I don't watch sodium.

• michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Good but with recipes I try to use minimally for others who can add it on the side if needed according to their taste. Besides I notice a considerable difference in retention and bloat when my consumption is on the higher side -personal preference.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ??? If you are responding to me that was to the poster who was concerned about how to get more.

Edit: oh, never mind, I guess that was to the original post?
  • JessTheDomesticatedMermaid
    Options
    Wow how is everyone having having too low sodium?? <---mostly hypothetical

Personally i have high bp and just started meds for it. Im trying to follow the DASH diet and up my exercise as well. Ive noticed that so many things have an f ton of sodium, its so easy to have high levels without ever adding table salt. If you didnt pull it out of the ground yourself, chances are it has a sodium level. If its in a container, it probably has a blasted sodium level. All common sense, yes; still surprising when you suddenly have to restrict or reduce your sodium levels. Its been an eye opening expierence for me so if anyone wants to msg me further info, im always welcoming that.

I am thankful however to the fact that even after just a week or 2 of sodium reduction, i can taste a huge difference in things that once were bland or just okay can now taste salty af. Oh, and my once fav things called pickles? I can barely stomach one.

Note: my spelling probably sucks. Sorry. Also, none of that was intended as preachy or negative. I really like hearing about both sides to the argument (even if i cant partake lol)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Atoms...good or bad. Discuss.

You mean like when they crash into each other? Lol
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything can be bad...