What is the healthiest yogurt

Options
2»

Replies

• TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Soya yogurts for me - either Tescos raspberry and passionfruit, mango or Alpros dark chocolate for a treat sometimes - but my OH likes Greek yogurt for the extra protein; he prefers Liberte, Danio or Fage.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I make my own to save a little cash. Some whey from the old batch, half a gallon of milk, and I'm good to go.

I initially used Fage 2% as a starter.

I make my own as well, but use some of the yogurt from the previous batch as the starter. How much whey do you use and do you freeze it between batches?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    mayclayem3 wrote: »
    I have been craving yogurt along with some granola in it.. What would be the healthiest yogurt to eat while dieting and exercising? Plain and add stevia etc? Please help! Thank you

I can't say one is healthier then the other but I can say which I prefer. I like 2% fage with a T of honey...
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I like plain Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of natural strawberry preserves
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've noticed most people don't eat plain yogurt by itself, i can't, it's too tart and tasteless. I much prefer vanilla flavoured yogurt, but most of the varieties here are too low in protein and fat and too high in sugar and carbs, it's pretty much a dessert.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I make my own to save a little cash. Some whey from the old batch, half a gallon of milk, and I'm good to go.

I initially used Fage 2% as a starter.

I make my own as well, but use some of the yogurt from the previous batch as the starter. How much whey do you use and do you freeze it between batches?
    http://thisoldgal.com/instant-pot-greek-yogurt/ I've been trying to follow this, so I saved 14 grams of whey from my previous yogurt for the starter (2 tablespoons per gallon, I just make 1/2 gallon at a time).

Admittedly, I haven't done the leaving it in the fridge overnight, but I'm fine with the results.

• kateowp
    kateowp Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've noticed most people don't eat plain yogurt by itself, i can't, it's too tart and tasteless.
    I love Fage 2% plain with a sweet roasted veg like beet or sweet potato- it balances out the tart and keeps it from being dessert sweet.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    "healthy" is subjective, it depends on your goals. I find full fat Greek yoghurt the most satisfying, with honey or jam, and some muesli or granola if I want it to be more substantial. I will make room in my calorie budget for the Greek stuff because I love it so. If you want to fit it into fewer calories ordinary plain yoghurt with a sweetener will work. I am not a fan of fat free yoghurt as it usually has sugar added and so is not good value in terms of calories.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Love the Danon Oikos. Really love they have cherry. I mix it with a 1/4 c. cottage cheese and a bit of granola or grape nuts.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    @lulalacroix I have also never used whey as a yoghurt starter but in general you should only use a small amount of starter. It seems like more should be better, but in fact a higher proportion of starter just means more bugs fighting over a smaller amount of food and it doesn't culture as well. It's similar to sourdough in that respect. I use one or two tablespoons of starter to 2 litres of milk.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I've noticed most people don't eat plain yogurt by itself, i can't, it's too tart and tasteless. I much prefer vanilla flavoured yogurt, but most of the varieties here are too low in protein and fat and too high in sugar and carbs, it's pretty much a dessert.

I've grown to like stonyfield plain organic whole milk yogurt. It was very tart when I first tried it so I added a lot of sugar but now I don't need any sugar in it. I do add chia seeds and flax seeds and sometimes peanut butter.