Weight Training Beginner...

Options
I want to start focusing on weight training and building muscle. I know this is probably a stupid question, but is there a best way to ease into it or is it okay to jump right in? Help! :)

Replies

• MarlotheAlpha
    MarlotheAlpha Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yea the easiest was are to learn your 3 basic movements the bench press,the squat and the dead lift but all must be done with proper form......and we could take it from there if you have more questions
  • ohheyitsmadds
    ohheyitsmadds Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I take a weight training class at my YMCA, and it's helped me learn the basics and proper form. Whenever I want to lift out of class, it's easy because I've been taught which exercises work which muscles.
  • SoxyKitten
    SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely advise getting some professional training. Learning the basics is key & you really don't want to hurt yourself if you're not sure of what you're doing.
  • LydiaNiz
    LydiaNiz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I started strength training 5 weeks ago (and am loving it! First exercise that makes me happy!) I booked a trainer for a one hour session to show me a basic routine and form, including deadlifts, squats & bench presses, last week we altered nutrition (now on high fat/high protein diet) and worked out a new programme to include more free weights.
    I'm not losing much weight (sloooow burner), but I have lost two inches off my waist, 2 off my belly and one off my thighs. Good luck! :-)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I want to start focusing on weight training and building muscle. I know this is probably a stupid question, but is there a best way to ease into it or is it okay to jump right in? Help! :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Start a structured program like StongCurves or NROL4W. Also, start very light to work on form; you can also get a PT to help with that or watch YouTube videos and look in the mirror.
  • LeslieMartina
    LeslieMartina Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I just started the New Rules of Lifting for Women plan which is starting off great for me, but if you really have no experience with weights I do think Bodypump classes or a few sessions with a trainer are a good idea.
  • katrionabrown
    katrionabrown Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I suggest you hire a P.T or get a friend or someone thats has experience in weight training! Weight traning is the best way to shape your body but if your form isn't right it can cause injury's! Make sure you back up your training with right nutrition no matter how much you lift if your macro's aren't correct you wont hit your goals! You can find macro calculators on bodybuilding.com! Good luck and welcome to the team of fit women