Reversing dinner with lunch and not eating after 5pm helped me to speed up weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• 120poundstogo
    120poundstogo Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I am also naturally not hungry anyway!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I get your point and won't preach CICO. I think little routines and rules that work for one person might not for another.. I can see how a big lunch could keep you satisfied and able to stop eating at 5 p.m. Bottom line it works for you and it could be a good idea for some of us. Thanks!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hemlon wrote: »
    It doesn't matter when you eat your alloted calories, as long as you burn more than you eat. Creating a deficit is what causes weight loss...not WHEN they are consumed.

Don't make it more difficult than it needs to be.
    I think it made a difference for me because nothing else was working faster for me. So I am going to stick with it for now. As they say don't eat after 7pm. You got to find what works for you including eating a heavier meal earlier rather than later! Yes I agree it shouldn't be harder but it was for me! So it is working for me with those small little changes! Thanks for your response!

I agree with you. Folks on here could say what they want. But as someone with hypothyroidism, I find eating my main meal before 6 pm. helps me tremendously to lose weight. Any later than this even if I am at calorie deficit, it is a bigger struggle. I eat my main meal by 5 pm, if I am hungry later an apple or some Ryvita with water will suffice. The next morning I am do not have that bloated feeling, my stomach is completely empty.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I hear you on this. I haven't swapped lunch for dinner, but I stop eating pretty early in the evening (I try before 7, but life sometimes gets in the way of that) because I do most of my damage after dinner while we are watching TV. I've found that if I put everything away, and commit to just having water or tea until bed I do much better. I am a mindless eater, and I would eat multiple helpings of dinner, or I would start snacking and ruin everything. So now, we eat around 5 or 6 and I'm done for the day. Occasionally if I have the calories left my SO and I will have something sweet or maybe some popcorn, but I've been trying and it seems to be working so far (only on day 16!). Good luck!!
  • 120poundstogo
    Options
    I get your point and won't preach CICO. I think little routines and rules that work for one person might not for another.. I can see how a big lunch could keep you satisfied and able to stop eating at 5 p.m. Bottom line it works for you and it could be a good idea for some of us. Thanks!

Sure glad I could help! BTW what is CICO?
  • 120poundstogo
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    Hemlon wrote: »
    It doesn't matter when you eat your alloted calories, as long as you burn more than you eat. Creating a deficit is what causes weight loss...not WHEN they are consumed.

Don't make it more difficult than it needs to be.
    I think it made a difference for me because nothing else was working faster for me. So I am going to stick with it for now. As they say don't eat after 7pm. You got to find what works for you including eating a heavier meal earlier rather than later! Yes I agree it shouldn't be harder but it was for me! So it is working for me with those small little changes! Thanks for your response!

I agree with you. Folks on here could say what they want. But as someone with hypothyroidism, I find eating my main meal before 6 pm. helps me tremendously to lose weight. Any later than this even if I am at calorie deficit, it is a bigger struggle. I eat my main meal by 5 pm, if I am hungry later an apple or some Ryvita with water will suffice. The next morning I am do not have that bloated feeling, my stomach is completely empty.
    That is awesome that it works for you too! Who would've thought that this could work so well. I am glad you're on board with me! btw what is Rybinsk?
  • lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    CICO = calories in, calories out
  • 120poundstogo
    Options
    akern1987 wrote: »
    I hear you on this. I haven't swapped lunch for dinner, but I stop eating pretty early in the evening (I try before 7, but life sometimes gets in the way of that) because I do most of my damage after dinner while we are watching TV. I've found that if I put everything away, and commit to just having water or tea until bed I do much better. I am a mindless eater, and I would eat multiple helpings of dinner, or I would start snacking and ruin everything. So now, we eat around 5 or 6 and I'm done for the day. Occasionally if I have the calories left my SO and I will have something sweet or maybe some popcorn, but I've been trying and it seems to be working so far (only on day 16!). Good luck!!
    That is great that it's working for yay! I am so a mindless snicker too! Congrats on the weightloss!

• memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    @120poundstogo Basically what you are doing is intermittent fasting (IF) by going 18 hours without food. I do the same however my fasting period is 11pm-5pm while yours is 5pm-11am. I find it helps to control my appetite too. The bonus is that there are tons of benefits outside of weight loss by fasting :)
  • 120poundstogo
    Options
    memickee wrote: »
    @120poundstogo Basically what you are doing is intermittent fasting (IF) by going 18 hours without food. I do the same however my fasting period is 11pm-5pm while yours is 5pm-11am. I find it helps to control my appetite too. The bonus is that there are tons of benefits outside of weight loss by fasting :)
    Oh thanks I didn't know that it would be possible to do it in such a short amount of time! LOL I am glad that it is working for the both of us I hope you meet your weight loss goals!
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yup sounds like a sort of intermittent fast! I eat 10am-6pm (very doable!) Stops the evening snacking but hopefully has the added benefits of fasting.
  • mss501
    mss501 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that not eating a full meal after 6pm makes the biggest difference for me. Part of it, admittedly, is psychological, as I hate going to bed with a full stomach and waking up bloated and too full to eat breakfast - it makes me feel awful and more likely to overeat or skip my workout that day. That said, the number on the scales is often lower in the morning if I don't eat late in the evening the night before compared to when I do, and that in itself is very encouraging.

It's interesting to see how something that works for one may not necessarily work for another!
  • 120poundstogo
    Options
    aliblain wrote: »
    Yup sounds like a sort of intermittent fast! I eat 10am-6pm (very doable!) Stops the evening snacking but hopefully has the added benefits of fasting.
    Yes it is! Thanks for reply!
  • 120poundstogo
    Options
    mss501 wrote: »
    I've noticed that not eating a full meal after 6pm makes the biggest difference for me. Part of it, admittedly, is psychological, as I hate going to bed with a full stomach and waking up bloated and too full to eat breakfast - it makes me feel awful and more likely to overeat or skip my workout that day. That said, the number on the scales is often lower in the morning if I don't eat late in the evening the night before compared to when I do, and that in itself is very encouraging.

It's interesting to see how something that works for one may not necessarily work for another!

It works wonders. I am so so glad that is working for you thank you for your reply!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!