Fat Consumption for Body Recomp

Options
How important is hitting or staying under your fat goal for body recomposition?

My goal for fat is supposed to be 47g, but no matter how hard I try it always go way over my target. I'm just wondering if it is still possible or if I'm going to be doomed in terms of getting the body I want.

I've been at the recomp for about six months and things seem to be going very slowly. None of my clothes have gotten looser except for my bra (going down 4 cup sizes since starting recomp), and the loose skin on my underarms is worse, so I suspect I've lost fat there too. None seems to have gone from my belly (which is the place I wish it would go the most).

I go to the gym three times a week. I do generally do machines - I know this isn't as good as freeweights but I feel more comfortable with the machines and I don't have a spotter if I were to do freeweights.

I know recomp is a slow process to begin with, but just wondering if my high fat consumption could be the reason why mine seems slower than what I think would be normal.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I'd go with percentage. 30% of your calories from fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The fat won't make you fat. A good protein level will help you with muscle retention. I like a 40carb, 30protrin, 30fat split.

If you are not making any progress in your recomp maybe look at one of the programmes listed in the link below.
    If you prefer the machines -

Squat= leg press
    Bench press= chest press
    Bent over row= seated row
    Dead lift= cable pull up
    Chin up= Lat pull down

These are not a one to one exercise translation, but do activate most of the same large muscle groups.
    There are lots more on line.

Machines won't give as good result as a barbell, but you may find doing the lower weight or warm up sets with hand weights helps you move on to using the barbell in the future.

My gym only has a 45lbs bar. This is way too heavy for me to squat or bench with so I use a body bar to develop squat form and the leg press to strengthen my legs for the day I can squat 45lbs.

Same with a bench press. No way I am going to try a 45lbs bar, so I do hand weight benches for form, the chest press to build strength.

As a machine weight chest press doesn't translate over to barbell bench press at the same weight look at going over the lowest weight bar you have available.

Following a set progressive compound lifting programme will guide you in upping your reps or weights to get the best results.

Cheers, h.

Lifting programmes-

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    looking for answers here too! thanks for the post.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I view protein and fat as minimum goals. I set them according to my body weight.

For fat: body weight in pounds x 0.4 = fat minimum (I eat closer to 0.6 x my body weight)
    For protein: body weight in pounds x 0.8 for protein minimum (although I do tend to eat much closer to 1.0-1.1 x my body weight - and feel much better eating that amount of protein).
    For carbs: whatever is left

Going over on fat will not have a negative impact on your body composition.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i am doing low carb high fat so everything i do is different from what you do
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Fat won't make you fat, but if your fat consumption is coming at the expense of adequate protein and carbs, you will limit your ability to put on muscle.

I can't see your diary from my phone, but you want to make sure you are getting plenty of protein for muscle building and carbs for energy (heavy lifts use primarily glucose) and recovery. Carbs are protein sparing as well, so if you are not eating enough, your protein intake may not be used efficiently.

I don't think 47g seems like a lot, but if you are very petite with a low calorie goal, going over may be crowding out the nutrients you need to build lean mass.